Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Who  (Read 29587 times)

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
Re: The Who
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »

I think Pete's playing style with the Who was as a "rhythm-lead" guitarist, as opposed to a virtuoso style of playing that characterized Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and others.  He seemed to be setting up Entwistle and Moon to take lead roles musically (like the bass solos in My Generation, for instance).

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 04:39:02 AM »

Quote from: 1333
I think Pete's playing style with the Who was as a "rhythm-lead" guitarist, as opposed to a virtuoso style of playing that characterized Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and others.  He seemed to be setting up Entwistle and Moon to take lead roles musically (like the bass solos in My Generation, for instance).

He was an ensemble player, I think: he certainly had style and flash, but his playing was in service of the song and didn't merely draw attention to himself or his "virtuosity."  :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »

He is definitely a rhythm guitarist that plays a bit of lead when absolutely necessary. Though I'm not a huge Who fan I think he's the greatest rhythm player I've ever heard.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »

_bk04H-NdcY

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »

Quote from: 483
He is definitely a rhythm guitarist that plays a bit of lead when absolutely necessary. Though I'm not a huge Who fan I think he's the greatest rhythm player I've ever heard.

I agree, and then many times I say Jimmy Page was the greatest rhythm player ever. I think that skill of his is overlooked, given his solo virtuosity, but everytime I listen to an early LZ album I realize that the groove is so often set by 2 or 3 rhythm guitars subtly overdubbed on each other. His skill as a producer (I believe he was already well-recognized as such before their first album) certainly added to the awesomeness of the first LZ albums IMO.

John was pretty good too!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »

I dont see him as a great guitarist at all, he has loads of energy and looks the part but his playing is very limited and although he is a good rhythm player which is his strongest point there are many other guys out there doing the same thing better then and now.

All theese guys are basically playing the part of lead and rhythmat the same time like Pete but are Far better in every aspect of playing
Dave Davies - has him beat on Riffs, Soloing and maybe speed
Graham Coxon - similiar in that he is playing rhythm/Lead being the only guitarist in Blur but is much better imo.
Paul Weller - Not only is he singing lead and playing at same time but he is fantastic and imo also better than pete.
Johnny Marr - Same as coxon.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »

Thanks for the cool guitarist perspective, Fendertele! I'll have to listen to the Kinks some more, it's been a while. Don't know the other guys though, I'll have to learn about them too!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »

all I can say is... Long Live The Who.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »

I have to disagree that The Who was underrated. They get plenty of recognition in my opinion. If somebody made a list of the 5 greatest bands of all time, they would be on that list every single time.

'Quadrophenia' is on my top ten (maybe 5) albums of all time.

'Slip Kid', 'My Wife', 'Pictures Of Lily', and 'The Real Me' are probably my favorite tunes.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 02:51:17 AM »

only one song from the ox????what about boris the spider???

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2008, 09:50:12 PM »

Eh, 'Boris' is ok, but it was never a favorite. The 'creepy crawly' part kind of turns me off.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »

Did anyone see them at the Kennedy Center Honors this week? Very cool. Loved it when the NYC fire fighters and police officers surprised them by gathering together to become a chorus behind Rob Thomas doing Baba O' Riley. Very touching moment. Pete and Roger looked genuinely touched. Especially Pete. I thought he was gonna break down and cry! Before that though, they looked pretty disgusted at the CRAPPY job Rob Thomas was doing with their song. Joss Stone was pretty crappy too, but they looked like they liked here. She's too damn affected for me. Lay off the schtick already and put on some shoes and quit yelling like you think you have soul. Yuck.
Here it is:
oJZiZqy61zs

Barbara Streisand was honored too. Loved Beyonce singing The Way We Were. Barbara looked impressed too! But Barbara still does it better.
c9waY79yPqw

Interesting that they all had to sit there next to George W. Awkward! Here's W talking about Roger and Pete. IT'S SO WEIRD! He's such a dork.
QfajpTWQmyQ

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »

^^^^^^^I watched that.  Wouldn't have missed it for the world.  Pete's looking old, but Roger still looks pretty good.  And I think "Dubya" Bush didn't have a clue......

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 08:23:38 AM »

Hello again everybody!  

Say what you will about W -- and I voted against him twice -- but I wouldn't be shocked if he was a Who fan (right age, probably listened to some Who while partying in college).  

But more importantly -- is Keith Moon the greatest drummer in rock?  Could he have played in any other band besides the Who?  

I think he's by far the most visually spectacular drummer ever, but his style was so over the top that I'm not sure he would have lasted with the Beatles, or the Stones, or Zeppelin, or etc....

Maybe he was in the right place at the right time?

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »

Keith Moon was one of kind!  I really like The Who's performance at the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.  Mick Jagger felt that The Who blew the Stones off the stage and didn't want to release RRC after its 1968 filming....... and it didn't see the light of day until the mid 1990s.

The Who doing "A Quick One" at the RRC:

fOG12sE-krw

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:38 PM »

I agree Deb.The Who were fantastic.A tremedous version of A Quick One.Keith was on fire.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 01:50:18 AM »

Quote from: 1610
I agree Deb.The Who were fantastic.A tremedous version of A Quick One.Keith was on fire.

The Dirty Mac Band was great also!   I hate to say it but I think Yoko should have stayed in the bag for their second song, too.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »

the who sell out reissued

info here
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 11:54:16 PM »

Quote from: 1848
Keith Moon was one of kind!  I really like The Who's performance at the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.  Mick Jagger felt that The Who blew the Stones off the stage and didn't want to release RRC after its 1968 filming....... and it didn't see the light of day until the mid 1990s.

The Who doing "A Quick One" at the RRC:

fOG12sE-krw

^^^^^Got that one on DVD........deluxe edition.  The Who were the bomb on that show.  I also thought Jethro Tull were pretty darn good too.............poor Brian was sooooooo out of it............

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 10:31:21 AM »

Quote from: 1255
^^^^^Got that one on DVD........deluxe edition.  The Who were the bomb on that show.  I also thought Jethro Tull were pretty darn good too.............poor Brian was sooooooo out of it............

I thought The Dirty Mac were pretty good too. In fact everyone was better than The Stones!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 89 queries.