Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I Heard it Here First  (Read 2763 times)

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: I Heard it Here First
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »

Led Zeppelin's appropriating of authorship was always suspect/downright corrupt.

Blues musicians, especially, were never going to get rich waiting for Peter Grant and Jimmy Page's cheque to drop through the letter box.

Quite unlike the first wave of R&B groups in the early 60s, like the Stones, who seemed to go out of their way to acknowledge and promote Muddy Waters, Rufus Thomas, Howlin' Wolf, Slim Harpo etc., and resurrected (or, in some cases, launched) their careers.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:49:24 PM »

Quite unlike the first wave of R&B groups in the early 60s, like the Stones, who seemed to go out of their way to acknowledge and promote Muddy Waters, Rufus Thomas, Howlin' Wolf, Slim Harpo etc., and resurrected (or, in some cases, launched) their careers.

Rolling Stones - 2120 South Michigan Avenue (stereo)

Rolling Stones - 2120 South Michigan Avenue (Unreleased 1964 Blues Album)

2120 South Michigan Avenue is the address of Chess Records in Chicago.
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »

Led Zeppelin Under Fire For the Opening of "Stairway to Heaven"

I was surprised to see that headline the other day; when I get a minute, I'll have to read more.

"Stairway to Heaven" is a great song, but it's been so overplayed -- and ALWAYS gets the No. 1 spot on those dumb "best rock & roll songs of all time" count-ups -- that I haven't listened to it in literally years.

Looking forward to reading more about this, if I ever get caught up on work.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »

Maybe music radio is different around the world but, living as I do in London, I can honestly say that I haven't heard 'Stairway To Heaven' for at least 20 years.
Mind you, I haven't exactly been looking for it!

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »

Maybe music radio is different around the world but, living as I do in London, I can honestly say that I haven't heard 'Stairway To Heaven' for at least 20 years.
Mind you, I haven't exactly been looking for it!

It's almost like an anthem on classic rock stations and like Kathy mentioned, extremely overplayed. Even when I was in high school, some 10 years after its release, it was very popular as a prom theme. I went through a stage where I really liked it but I got over it. LOL

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »

I do occasionally tune in to 'Absolute 60s' and it's much the same on there.
They'll play Buffalo Springfield but it will ALWAYS be 'For What It's Worth'.
They'll play Them but ONLY 'Gloria', 'Baby, Please Don't Go' or 'Here Comes The Night'.
And I could go on with act after act telling you exactly which two or three songs they'll always play and the hundred others they won't.
Why? Is it cheaper?

The only act that doesn't seem to be limited in this way are The Beatles, whose A-sides, B-sides and album tracks all get an airing. You're as likely to hear 'The Inner Light' as you are 'She Loves You'.
Judging by their playlist, I have about ten times the number of tracks they appear to have at the station!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »

I just get a black box that doesn't do anything when I go to that link, Kelley.  No matter, though.  I've never heard the entire song played from beginning to end.  What was the issue with the opening of Stairway To Heaven reported on that abc news website?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »

And I could go on with act after act telling you exactly which two or three songs they'll always play and the hundred others they won't.
Why? Is it cheaper?

Someone in the industry explained radio playlists to me years ago.  Yes, it has a lot to do with costs.

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »

I just get a black box that doesn't do anything when I go to that link, Kelley. 

That's because you're still using Vista.  :P

What was the issue with the opening of Stairway To Heaven reported on that abc news website?

The intro to "Stairway to Heaven" sounds similar to the part just after the intro of the song "Taurus" by Spirit. Spirit is suing after all these years. "Stairway to Heaven" is being re-issued so I guess that is the reason they've chosen this particular time.

You can compare them here Barry and you don't even have to listen to the entire song, just the beginning.  :)

http://youtu.be/czfI66yQUkk

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »

That's because you're still using Vista.  :P

My laptop and office computer are Windows XP Professional.  Still the best OS for remotely accessing CT scans and MRIs from hospital mainframes and for EMR (Electronic Medical Records).  So who cares if I don't see some video of Led Zeppelin vs Spirit (Who's Spirit?).   :)

The intro to "Stairway to Heaven" sounds similar to the part just after the intro of the song "Taurus" by Spirit. Spirit is suing after all these years. "Stairway to Heaven" is being re-issued so I guess that is the reason they've chosen this particular time.

You can compare them here Barry and you don't even have to listen to the entire song, just the beginning.  :)

http://youtu.be/czfI66yQUkk

Not a bit like Cagney.

Urban Space Cowboy

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »

The best way to 'enjoy' "Stairway to Heaven" is with
Spliceway to Heaven
. Spot the Beatles samples!

Page created in 6.785 seconds with 59 queries.