Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 64281 times)

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2008, 03:15:23 AM »

I thought Mick Jagger had a little something, something back in his early days.
hah
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2008, 05:43:47 AM »

Quote from: 216
Funny, I was just thinking about Pink Floyd and how they became such a monster band. I think that's so awesome that they're in that top five. But not surprised. Isn't it a right of passage for every young budding stoner to experience Dark Side in various states of...uh, what's the word?

I think the word you're thinking of is "consciousness."

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »

How could the Eagles have got to the top? It`s a surprise to me. They ve got Hotel California, sure a hit, but to be number 4 is beyond me. Are they really so popular in the USA?

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »

Supposedly, the Eagles' first greatest hits album is the #1 selling album of all time.  Or at least in the U.S.  But the Michael Jackson/Thriller camp will likely dispute that.  (I think Thriller is #1 worldwide, but Eagles Greatest Hits might be #1 in the U.S.).  And the Hotel Califonia album was a massive seller as well.  

I read somewhere about the Eagles' record sales, and someone (I wish I remember the source) derisively said that most of the Eagles' sales came from those promotions you would find in the middle of magazines, where you could buy 12 albums for a penny (plus what was in the small print).  I thought that was funny, but then I remembered that that was exactly how I bought their greatest hits CD!  (The company that ran that promotion was Columbia House.)

And I own the Hotel California LP on vinyl -- which I bought at a used record store (Rasputin's) for $1.  I still remember that day -- I picked up about 12 classic albums -- Eagles, Neil Young, Skynyrd, Allmans, Bowie, Traffic, some others, for 12 FREAKING DOLLARS!  

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59:13 AM »

Quote from: 1393
How could the Eagles have got to the top? It`s a surprise to me. They ve got Hotel California, sure a hit, but to be number 4 is beyond me. Are they really so popular in the USA?

Yes. I've even heard them promoted as America's answer to the Beatles. Which is pretty lame, but I get it. There's a massive amount of talent in that band. They've got a great amount of hits. All members wrote and sang and their musicianship is excellent. When they started, it was supposed to be a situation of all members being equal. Similar to the Beatles style. All getting songs on the album, all getting the same amount of money. Then Henley and Frey's egos got in the way. As it is, Joe Walsh is just a paid employee at this point! Which is ridiculous because a good amount of their live show consists of old Jame's Gang and solo Walsh songs. Kinda sucks because I feel like stuff like this takes the soul out of a band. They all pretty much hate each other. Don Felder, who wrote most of Hotel California was fired and had to sue them, two other guys quit because of the way they were being treated and so on.

Anyway, yeah, they're pretty huge over here. No problems at all selling five or six nights worth of shows at stadiums. They did it here when they played The Staples Center which is a huge stadium. They even had to add a show.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2008, 12:12:04 PM »

In the movie, do you actually get to see Darryl Jones playing bass? Of all the film I have seen of them I have yet to see him, unless it's a distance shot of the whole stage.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2008, 12:18:56 PM »

Quote from: 483
In the movie, do you actually get to see Darryl Jones playing bass? Of all the film I have seen of them I have yet to see him, unless it's a distance shot of the whole stage.

;D

Great point, that. Can't say I noticed a lot of shots of him either.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:57 PM »

Yes. I've even heard them promoted as America's answer to the Beatles. Which is pretty lame, but I get it. There's a massive amount of talent in that band. They've got a great amount of hits. All members wrote and sang and their musicianship is excellent. When they started, it was supposed to be a situation of all members being equal. Similar to the Beatles style.  

Never had much interest in the Hotel California type of thing myself, but I like some of the earlier stuff:

Take It Easy

mM6apXyhHg0

I think Jackson Browne had a hand in writing it, but I'm not sure.  :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2008, 01:22:57 PM »

Very interesting! Could have never thought of such a high position for the Eagles!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »

Though the thread is dedicated to the Stones, we spoke about Brian Adams here, and I can`t help saying that driving home late at night, just 20 minutes ago i listened on the radio to Brian singing When a Man Loves a Woman and then came Eric`s You`re Wonderful Tonight. Two SUCH songs running! I go crazy listening to men singing such romantic beautiful songs. Still haven`t come round. Oh, what an emotional person!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »

I'm listening to Wild Horses right now, and while I LOVE Mick's style, his delivery just cracks me up sometimes. I mean, he really goes overboard with the southern accent thing. If that was in fact what he was trying to emulate. I wonder if he worked on that or if it just came naturally. Personally, I like it better when English singers sing with their English accents. Like the dudes from Pink Floyd or the Kinks. Even the Beatles really. But it did work for the Stones I guess. Part of their charm. :K)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2008, 02:06:38 AM »

And just because:  

He's so purty!

Evidence!  :X

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2008, 04:04:10 AM »

I'm listening to Wild Horses right now, and while I LOVE Mick's style, his delivery just cracks me up sometimes. I mean, he really goes overboard with the southern accent thing. If that was in fact what he was trying to emulate.

It's not the idiom that does him in, it's his utter inability to project (or convincingly fake) the "sincerity" the song requires. He's swinging away at emotions he knows about from other songs but doesn't particularly feel himself. Callow, callow, callow.  8)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »

What? Are you implying that Mick doesn't really have any soul? No depth? You mean, that was all just an illusion? ??)

;)

Hey all I own from them is a best of CD. I have a sneaking suspicion that they might be slightly overrated. Although, Gimme Shelter is a masterpiece of a song.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »

I love Gimme Shelter
<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

What? Are you implying that Mick doesn't really have any soul? No depth?

;D

Mick has all the depth of a guy who would get married in Bali so he could later try to have the marriage annulled in order to cheat his wife out of a divorce settlement. ("What, me married? No way, that was just a thing, you know?")  ;D

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »

I absolutely can`t agree with the above! Mick is very profound in his songs! Please, listen to A Bigger Bang album, to the song Biggest Mistake in particular. It seems as if he had experienced the situation himself and had felt the song in and out and through.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »

Sandra, if you want to branch out from the compilation CD (which one is it, by the way?  Hot Rocks or something else?), consider these 5 albums:  Beggars Banquet (Nineteen Sixty-eight), which besides Sympathy has great tracks like Stray Cat Blues, Parachute Woman, Street Fighting Man, Salt of the Earth (Keith's first vocal, I think, and he screeches out the first verse like some kind of constipated junky -- great moment);  Let it Bleed (1969) -- Shelter, the title track, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Midnight Rambler, You Got the Silver, Monkey Man; Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! ('70) -- the 1969 live show from Madison Square Garden, one of the great live records in rock, and the best live Stones recording; Sticky Fingers ('71), with Brown Sugar, B*tch, Wild Horses (I like this one myself), Sister Morphine, Dead Flowers, Moonlight Mile; and the Stones' true masterpiece, Exile on Main Street ('72).  A double album with not a weak moment on it.

These five consecutive LPs are the peak of the Stones' career.  I don't think that even the Beatles or Led Zeppelin strung together five straight albums of such high quality.

However -- it may take more than one listening to appreciate these records' greatness.  Exile on Main Street, which usually is ranked in the top 5 or 10 albums of all time (in various magazines/books/polls), was actually panned by many critics when it was released.  The Stones aren't as easily accessible as the Beatles; you may listen to one of these records and think 'eh, not that impressed,' but if you put in the time, it'll be worth it.  They'll grow on you.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

Agree with Mr. Mustard. Well said - "They`ll grow on you."

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2008, 04:53:30 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 82 queries.