Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best Cringeworthy Song ?  (Read 15926 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Best Cringeworthy Song ?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 02:28:14 AM »

Mary Had a Little Lamb existed long before Paul McCartney ever did. He didn't write it but he was just silly enough to record it. Well, I guess he wrote the tune. Except for that Phantom of the opera part. The music actually isn't bad. If you can make Mary Had a Little Lamb into a catchy pop song you're a freaking genius. And it is catchy. Plus, when you know why he put it out it becomes much less corny and actually sort of cool. Cringe worthy would be the matching orange jump suits they're wearing in the video and Linda playing bongos.

You know, up until about five minutes ago I thought the line went: whose feet were white as snow. I can't believe it took me this long to make the connection to fleece. DUH! Shows how much thought I put into that song though.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 04:39:28 AM »

Quote from: 216
Shows how much thought I put into that song though.

Don't feel bad; nothing about it suggests Paul put much thought into it either.

(teeth1)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »

I could add somemore if you would  like to give me some suggestions ? " Biker Like An Icon " and the annoying " Temporary Secretary " spring to mind ?
I think children gringe just as much as adults Sandra , parents often embarrass their kids with their goofiness i used to run for the hills when Dad got up to dance at weddings lol

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:01 AM »

If I remember rightly 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' was McCartney's response to having 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' banned by the BBC. So of course, afterwards he promptly gets banned again for 'Hi Hi Hi'.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »

The BBC were such twits in the 70's banning Paul and letting Lou Reed through with " Walk On The Wildside " the old duffer's  just did'nt get Lou's very risgue song (crosseyed2)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »

Quote from: 971
The BBC were such twits in the 70's banning Paul and letting Lou Reed through with " Walk On The Wildside " the old duffer's  just did'nt get Lou's very risgue song (crosseyed2)

There's an awful lot of stuff that got through, due to the fact that they just didn't understand. They banned George Fornby's 'With My Little Ukelele In My Hand', but not Chuck Berry's 'My Ding-A-Ling'.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »

I could add somemore if you would  like to give me some suggestions ?

"Pipes of Peace" would get my vote for being Paul's most cringe-provoking single. It wouldn't be the "best" of them, though; just the one most likely to make me blow lunch.  (barf4)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 01:23:53 PM »

I can't add anymore sorry i forgot about the 24 hour deadline .
I like  " Pipes Of Peace " Geoff and i love the video , it's his only solo # 1 in the UK . The album stinks though the title track and  " So bad " are the only two good songs for me on that album .

" The Other Me " with this lyric really makes me cringe from the album :

I know i was a crazy fool
For treating you the way i did
But something took hold of me
And i acted like a dustbin lid

What a corker lyric  from the man who wrote " Hey Jude "(hammer2)(shakehead2)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »

yes, quite poor lyrics in the macca department there.  :P

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »

I know i was a crazy fool
For treating you the way i did

What a corker lyric  from the man who wrote " Hey Jude "(hammer2)(shakehead2)

(bigeyes1)

Dustbin lid! They must have used the vocal track with dummy lyrics by mistake.  ;D

"So Bad" is nice, though.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »

mull of kintyre

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »

Actually, I think 'A Wonderful Christmas time" is the worst song and very cringeworthy. Its god awful, I hated the song before I found out McCartney wrote it and was horrified to find out that he wrote it.  I guess I shouldn't have been too suprised being as McCartney has a knack for putting out annoyingly catchy songs. Ugh....what a god awful piece of trash...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 07:58:06 PM »

Quote from: 483
If I remember rightly 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' was McCartney's response to having 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' banned by the BBC. So of course, afterwards he promptly gets banned again for 'Hi Hi Hi'.

Exactly. It's not meant to be taken seriously. If you think about it in that way, it's actually not that bad. Like Lennon said, Paul's more subtle when he's trying to send a message. He's a genius really because so many people still have no idea what his intentions really were on a lot of his songs. We should break them down some time because I only know a few of the stories.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »

I actually like Silly Love Songs

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »

Quote from: 403
Actually, I think 'A Wonderful Christmas time" is the worst song and very cringeworthy. Its god awful, I hated the song before I found out McCartney wrote it and was horrified to find out that he wrote it.  I guess I shouldn't have been too suprised being as McCartney has a knack for putting out annoyingly catchy songs. Ugh....what a god awful piece of trash...

i think Macca can write cheese with the best of them, but for some reason ive always loved A wonderful Christmas Time.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 12:00:45 AM »

"Cook of the House" - does anyone remember this from Wings at the Speed of Sound? One of his best (hurl icon here).

At least it wasn't a hit. One that got lots of airplay was "Let 'Em In". Double hurl here.

And Silly Love Songs always left me cold.

The whole album was drivel, as I recall! Yet it sold well ... go figure.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 12:37:50 AM »

Yes. Even for a Christmas song it's awful. Repetitive and dull. Plus that synthesizer is just so annoying. Or whatever it is.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:56 AM »

Quote from: 216

Exactly. It's not meant to be taken seriously. If you think about it in that way, it's actually not that bad. Like Lennon said, Paul's more subtle when he's trying to send a message. He's a genius really because so many people still have no idea what his intentions really were on a lot of his songs. We should break them down some time because I only know a few of the stories.

I think thats a really good point Sandra about Paul been more subtle when sending a message , if you take out the love songs from his  work , the bulk of which are Linda related . And then look at the rest of his work it's not always explicit what he's getting at ,  his lyrics are often ambiguous if not completly irrelevant . His story songs just baffle me , 30 odd years i've ponderd over some of them looking for clues as to what he means with little success . I suspect many of them have an autobiographical element ,which is way they fascinate me , then again they might just be nonsense , he's a bit of a conundrum .

(thinker)(thinker)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 01:36:53 AM »

"Cook Of The House " is an ok song for Linda to sing , it's not brilliant just an average little ditty , an album filler .

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 02:44:11 AM »

It's pretty awful, even for a Christmas novelty song. The descending melody in the middle is nearly as bad as the lyrics:

The choir of children sing their song
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding ohhhh
Ohhhhhhh

(barf4)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 84 queries.