Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Action adjustment Hofner violin bass  (Read 16322 times)

Revolver

• One And One Is Two
Action adjustment Hofner violin bass
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:38:45 PM »

Everybody,

I have had my Hofner for several years now and I haven't attempted to do any modifications to it.  I am not very knowledgeable or handy with making modifications to instruments and I'm not sure I would attempt to do it on an instrument that I love as much as my Hofner even if I was.

However, I have thought through the years about trying to adjust the action slightly on my bass.  The action is a little high.  I have tried adjusting the bridge as it is a movable bridge, but there's not a whole lot that I can do with that big pickup in the way.  

Now, I know that the action will never be like more modern basses and that's cool, but is there ANYTHING that I can do to improve the action a bit without making too many modifications to the bass or should I bring it to a professional OR should I just accept the high action as a consequence of owning such a beautiful classic instrument.

Any help would be appreciated
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Action adjustment Hofner violin bass
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:46:46 AM »

I guess Rickenbacker is your man here.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
Re: Action adjustment Hofner violin bass
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »

Moving the bridge forward and backward only changes your intonation, leave it where the factory put it. Use the thumb wheels on the bridge to lower the action, ideally 3/32 on the bass side to 2/32 on the treble side from the top of the 12th fret  to the bottom of the string (sorry if your in Europe you'll have to do the math conversion, I never was good at that ;D) first adjust the truss rod to straighten the neck, a little relief(concave bow) is ok but not too much. Then you can adjust the bridge height. Remeber if the bass buzzes a little acoustically, but the buzz is not reproduced through your amp it's ok. Even the most expensive electrics will buzz ocassionally when played acoustically. Good luck! :)

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 40 queries.