Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Eric Clapton  (Read 18493 times)

nimrod

Eric Clapton
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »

I have certain thoughts about EC and his career but Id like to hear others opinions of him..

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: Eric Clapton
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »

I have certain thoughts about EC and his career but Id like to hear others opinions of him..

Hi mate! ERIC "SLOWHAND" CLAPTON, what can be said about this legendary guitarist that hasn't already been said? Clapton is a Blues guitarist only, not a Rock guitarist. Clapton has definitely had his fair share of tragedy in his life through the years. Eric has lost many dear friends along the way, the late great JIMI HENDRIX, the late great STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN and the late great GEORGE HARRISON are just three of them.

THE YARDBIRDS will forever go down in music history and be remembered for producing three of Rock's most legendary guitarists: ERIC "SLOWHAND" CLAPTON, JEFF BECK and JIMMY PAGE. Clapton was gaining so much popularity in England, you would read and hear the slogan "Clapton Is God" everywhere. I am a big fan of EC, I have seen him live 5 times and have never been disappointed. Take care.

Here's one from CREAM, enjoy!

Cream - Crossroads 1968 LIVE!!!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

His music never touched me and he ruined While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »

His music never touched me and he ruined While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Hi Bobber! What's happening? There are many people that I know that feel the same way you do. What do you think of the late JEFF HEALEY'S version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps?" Take care.

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »

Anyone know how often George pitched up on Eric's albums?
Keeping you on your toes...

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »

I love Eric Clapton. I think his best work during all his career was with Cream. His early guitar playing with the Yardbirds was also important and Layla deserves attention. But I don't know why Clapton reached that "God" status while his replacement in the Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, is almost an obscure cult figure. While Clapton played generic blues with John Mayall & the Blues Breakers, Beck invented Heavy Rock guitar with the Yardbirds. I think Beck was the best and most innovative pre-Hendrix guitarist and his work on Having A Rave Up (1965) is more important than anything Clapton ever did.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:44:01 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »

I love Eric Clapton. I think his best work during all his career was with Cream. His early guitar playing with the Yardbirds was also important and Layla deserves attention. But I don't know why Clapton reached that "God" status while his replacement in the Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, is almost an obscure cult figure. While Clapton played generic blues with John Mayall & the Blues Breakers, Beck invented Heavy Rock guitar with the Yardbirds. I think Beck was the best and most innovative pre-Hendrix guitarist and his work on Having A Rave Up (1965) is more important than anything Clapton ever did.

What's happening Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! I like your points, you know your music too my friend! JEFF BECK invented the Heavy Rock guitar sound with THE YARDBIRDS, JIMMY PAGE finished it and would take it into THE NEW YARDBIRDS whose name would soon be changed to the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. Take care.

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »

I think him and Hendrix will go down as the 2 major rock guitar players of all time.....he's not the fastest or most intricate by any means but he has got such a feel and fluidity and he has got a major presence on stage...
I love a lot of whet he's done but some Im not keen on, like his post Cream stuff with Delaney & Bonny and Derek & The D's, I think also some of his solo albums were non entities..

Amazingly, Ive never seen him play a bad note, he's played thousands of songs and just seems to hit it right every time, even the 24 night thing at the Albert Hall where he did Rock nights and Blues nights..

I absolutely love Cream and unlike Bobber one of the stand out things on the white album is his work on WMGGW, after I bought it (when it was released) for years I thought it was George because in a way it sounded like George, for me it makes what is a pretty ordinary dour song..

I love Ocean Blvd LP and his From The Cradle album from 91 is what everyone at the Blues Association Im a member off think of as the blueprint for how blues should be played, a monumental blues standards album that would be very very hard to beat ..

heres the virtuoso at his best in 2005.. (wish oh wish I could play slow stuff like this solo at the end)

Cream - Stormy Monday (2005) Live At Royal Albert Hall (HQ)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:34:29 PM by nimrod »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »

I dunno.  I studied blues guitar.  I like Eric Clapton...

Blues Before Sunrise

Blues Before Sunrise
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 11:51:42 PM »

I think him and Hendrix will go down as the 2 major rock guitar players of all time.....he's not the fastest or most intricate by any means but he has got such a feel and fluidity and he has got a major presence on stage...
I love a lot of whet he's done but some Im not keen on, like his post Cream stuff with Delaney & Bonny and Derek & The D's, I think also some of his solo albums were non entities..

Amazingly, Ive never seen him play a bad note, he's played thousands of songs and just seems to hit it right every time, even the 24 night thing at the Albert Hall where he did Rock nights and Blues nights..

I absolutely love Cream and unlike Bobber one of the stand out things on the white album is his work on WMGGW, after I bought it (when it was released) for years I thought it was George because in a way it sounded like George, for me it makes what is a pretty ordinary dour song..

I love Ocean Blvd LP and his From The Cradle album from 91 is what everyone at the Blues Association Im a member off think of as the blueprint for how blues should be played, a monumental blues standards album that would be very very hard to beat ..

heres the virtuoso at his best in 2005.. (wish oh wish I could play slow stuff like this solo at the end)

Cream - Stormy Monday (2005) Live At Royal Albert Hall (HQ)

I was searching for that video of Blues Before Sunrise when you were posting that, Kevin.  I was fortunate to be at The Cream Reunion Concert at Madison Square Garden on 25 October, 2005.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:09 PM »

I think him and Hendrix will go down as the 2 major rock guitar players of all time.....

I've always held Dickey Betts in high esteem too.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 01:00:35 AM »

he ruined While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

ha2ha  I dont know about ruined, but it was definately nothing special. I dont like the song anyways, so who gives a rats ass.

I like Clapton, but I dont love him. His solo albums always had too much filler in my opinion, but there were some very solid songs that held my interest. I love his solo's most of the time though. Great feeling without trying to fill a bar with as many notes as a human can possibly play. I've come to the conslusion though that Eric was a hard person to get along with. Thats the way he comes across to me. If you think about all the bands he's been in, nobody liked the guy. Wonder why that is?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 01:07:50 AM »

I'm happy that both versions of While My Guitar Gently Weeps exist today.

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »

I was searching for that video of Blues Before Sunrise when you were posting that, Kevin.  I was fortunate to be at The Cream Reunion Concert at Madison Square Garden on 25 October, 2005.

oh you lucky boy.... ;)

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:46:04 AM »

ha2ha  I dont know about ruined, but it was definately nothing special. I dont like the song anyways, so who gives a rats ass.

I like Clapton, but I dont love him. His solo albums always had too much filler in my opinion, but there were some very solid songs that held my interest. I love his solo's most of the time though. Great feeling without trying to fill a bar with as many notes as a human can possibly play. I've come to the conslusion though that Eric was a hard person to get along with. Thats the way he comes across to me. If you think about all the bands he's been in, nobody liked the guy. Wonder why that is?

I actually know a couple of people that know Eric Todd (from when I lived in England) and Im told that it is exactly the opposite, I can see where your coming from but by all accounts he is a lovely warm guy, I would think that would be true as well being as George loved him as a brother, in fact all the Beatles were kinda in awe of him.
I think he's moved bands a lot because he see's himself as a blues journeyman, play in a band for a while then move on.........I remember him saying that he had to leave Cream because he couldnt take the hate between Bruce & Baker !

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:59:06 AM »

oh you lucky boy.... ;)

Kevin, we were in the center orchestra seats, eight rows in...about 30 feet away from them.  I'll never forget that night!

It looked a bit like this...

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 02:01:05 AM »

If Cream ever played in Oz, thats about where Id sit, cost wouldnt matter

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 02:02:46 AM »

That's just how I felt.  Tickets in that section were $375 each...but who cared!!!    ;D

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:45 AM »

THE YARDBIRDS will forever go down in music history and be remembered for producing three of Rock's most legendary guitarists: ERIC "SLOWHAND" CLAPTON, JEFF BECK and JIMMY PAGE.

And the very first Yardbirds' lead guitarist was some Anthony "Top" Topham, who was replaced by Clapton before the band recorded anything. How big shoes was this guy on, as three of the greatest guitarists ever took his place.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:11:29 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 02:28:38 AM »

Anyone know how often George pitched up on Eric's albums?

Keeping you on your toes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Page created in 0.924 seconds with 83 queries.