Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What was Ringo's best drumming  (Read 42282 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: What was Ringo's best drumming
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »

Have you ever played Paperback Writer GO? I love the fills on that song and how Ringo ends them on the rim on purpose. Brilliant.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 05:35:40 AM »

I think Rolo Sandoval of 'The Fab Four' plays it correctly. What do you think Todd? (Uh oh, I hope I don't sound like someone else.)

The Fab Four "I Feel Fine" @ The Grove of Anaheim 12-31-09

The Fab Four - I Feel Fine

Gary, this guy is about as close as i've seen, but theres still a few instances where he isnt right. Coming back in from the chorus, he doesnt do anything where Ringo adds tom trills. Just small stuff like that is what I mean. That drummer there plays it awesome though.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »

Have you ever played Paperback Writer GO? I love the fills on that song and how Ringo ends them on the rim on purpose. Brilliant.
great drum sound on paperback writer,too.i do play a couple of beatle tunes in the band,but they are not that faithful to the originals,i don't try that hard to be like ringo.one of the songs is actually 'i feel fine' and my drumming on that is laughable,but the other boys don't seem to notice so i get away with it quite lightly.ringo did tend to play quite close to the rim on occasions,right at the end of nowhere man he rims the snare,i always play that way.get a nice metallic 'ring' on the snare.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 12:30:32 AM »

great drum sound on paperback writer,too.i do play a couple of beatle tunes in the band,but they are not that faithful to the originals,i don't try that hard to be like ringo.

Understood and i'm the same way. My son is always saying that I didnt play something right. I say I know, but I played it like I would play it. He says, but its not like so and so plays it. I'm not so and so.

.ringo did tend to play quite close to the rim on occasions,right at the end of nowhere man he rims the snare,i always play that way.get a nice metallic 'ring' on the snare.

Yeah, rimshots on the snare is cool and how I play a good bit of the time too, but with Paperback Writer, he ends the fills from the tom to the snare. Its pretty unique and something i've never heard anybody else do.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »

with you playing in a church band todd,i would imagine that your drumming has to be somewhat quiet?there really isn't a lot of bands of that kind here in england,so i'm not quite sure of what the playing would be like....?do you have a 'rock' gig as well,or is all of your live work in the church?if you can check out one of my bands.i am not too good on a p.c so i cannot give you a direct link,but the web address is www.motowngoldrush.com    
there is a montage on there where you can have a look at what we do,if you like.the kit i'm using is a 1969 beverley,with a 1978 premier 35 snare drum.(apologies to all who are reading this who do not play drums;we drummers enjoy a bit of data like that).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:37:17 PM by glass onion »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »

I'm leaving work right now GO, but I definetly want to check out the site. I'll get back to you.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »

You guys sound great GO. Nice and clean. Wish I could hear more. Love the pic of you with your green sparkle snare. I also seriously dig that you kept the Bradley name on the bass reso head. Sweet. How do you like the Bradley kit. I've never played on one nor have seen one up close. I've only heard of them.

Church is my only live stuff that i'm doing right now. I havent done a gig for about 15 years ago when I was in college. Kids came and I kind of gave up on the drumming for awhile. My kit is only a Pearl Export in fusion sizes. My main snare is a 67' Ludwig Acrolite keystone badge that is wonderful as the workhorse. Really nice sounding for a $150 drum. I bought a custom GMS snare too that is just out of this world. My son usually plays it on his kit. I have a few cheaper snares too that we do some practice stuff on.

As for the church gig, we are in the process of building a new sanctuary as we've outgrown the older one, so we play downstairs in a huge gym that holds about 300 people. The kit is a cheap Pacific with cheap Zildjian ZBT cymbals. All the hardware is stripped from the kids playing around with it. Seriously, its brutal, but its better than lugging my kit around. The kit isnt mic'd either so the sound isnt the best as you can imagine. The good news is that their going to buy an electric drum kit when the new sanctuary is built. Should be interesting.

Thanks again.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »

brilliant stuff todd!!lovely to hear from you.thanks so much for the nice words about the band.the green sparkle snare is a premier modern classic,it plays ok.i don't use it too often.i also have a 14x6.5 ludwig in black oyster(i have the ringo re-issue kit),i usually use that with the beverley.beverley kits were an english brand built throughout the 60s' and 70s'.mine is a 1969,it's been re-covered but it plays lovely.it suits the motown/soul gig.
as you know,todd.when drumming is inside you you'll never get rid of it.it's so good that you still turn your hand to the church gig.and it's great that your boy has taken up drumming too.my 3yr old daughter saw me playing on the dvd player the other day...."look!daddy playing the drums!!"perhaps she'll play one day,too.
i make a poor living playing drums,but there is nothing else i'd rather do.i'm no ringo,or steve gadd,or whoever,but my small amount of knowhow pays the mortgage so i'm happy as you like.the motown goldrush thing will hopefully take off for next year with weddings etc. so that is something to work towards.
more to follow tkitna!!keep sticking!!

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »

hey nice site GO, you guys sound great too mate  ;)

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »

hey nice site GO, you guys sound great too mate  ;)
cheers nimrod!!very nice of you to say.let me add......available for functions,weddings,parties etc,will travel!!!

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »

cheers nimrod!!very nice of you to say.let me add......available for functions,weddings,parties etc,will travel!!!

its a long way to oz mate  ;D

KelMar

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »

Very cool G.O.! Just in case anyone has trouble getting to the site, like I did yesterday, it's on YouTube too.

Motown Goldrush Video

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »

thank you too,in my life.
its a long way to oz mate  ;D
yeah,suppose it is a bit of a journey from nottingham,england.oh well.......at least you can now see the interior of two lovely public houses over here in britain mate!!thanks so much for your kind words. ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »

i also have a 14x6.5 ludwig in black oyster(i have the ringo re-issue kit),i usually use that with the beverley.

Is that the jazz special or whatever he used or did they just reissue a copy later on? Bet it sounds nice.

beverley kits were an english brand built throughout the 60s' and 70s'.mine is a 1969,it's been re-covered but it plays lovely.it suits the motown/soul gig.

Thats neat. For some reason I thought they were a later kit until I remembered I was thinking of a Bradley.

it's so good that you still turn your hand to the church gig.

It gives it a meaning to me. I enjoy doing it.

and it's great that your boy has taken up drumming too.my 3yr old daughter saw me playing on the dvd player the other day...."look!daddy playing the drums!!"perhaps she'll play one day,too.

Like your daughter, he saw me doing it at a young age and took to it. He just tried out for the high school band and he got the snare part as a freshman next year. Thats unheard of around these parts. He's really good right now. He's playing things I cant do, but he's been taking lessons for a long time now. I hope he continues with it.

i make a poor living playing drums,but there is nothing else i'd rather do.i'm no ringo,or steve gadd,or whoever,but my small amount of knowhow pays the mortgage so i'm happy as you like.[/quote]

Thats awesome and I realize how tough it can be. Thankfully I dont have to depend on it or else my family would be in the cheese line with my skills.  ha2ha

the motown goldrush thing will hopefully take off for next year with weddings etc. so that is something to work towards.
more to follow tkitna!!keep sticking!!

I enjoyed the hell out of it and I think you guys are really good. I have no doubt that you guys will do fine. Peace.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 10:08:48 PM »

lovely words todd,you are a gent.the ludwig 14x6.5 is a kind of copy of ringos' jazz festival,obviously ringos' was only 5" deep,but yeah mine does sound nice.i also have a ludwig 302 which is identical but steel,not wood.a cheap copy of a 402(made famous by bonham).i don't really have a favourite snare,i just use them as and when really.your acrolite sounds cool,that would be worth 3 times as much here in england.i tell you what,if your place that you play in church holds 300 people that is a big gig,make no mistake!!my biggest was to about 1500,but that was a one-off.mostly my work will be to maybe 80-100 people.
i hope your boy sticks at playing....most people who take up the drums do.it never leaves you.he sounds very good and promising,you must be proud and happy.i would love my girl to take up playing when she gets older.i keep telling her she'll go further than her dad,no problem.the church gig must give you lots of enjoyment and that is perfect.it's clear to me you have a love for playing.you also have a good nose for music and good players,it's never far from some of your quotes on these threads.you have a great understanding of ringos' stuff and i have a lot of time for that.nice one,man.
it means a lot to me that you have taken the time to actually listen to the songs(albeit only covers thesedays)and have replied so politely.thanks again todd.peace.

chimac

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »

Not sure if it's his best work technically, but Ringo's drumming on "Ticket To Ride" has always struck me as rather epic.  What a sound.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

How's it going everyone? I hope that the weekend went well for everyone despite knowing that many had a rough weekend with Hurricane Irene in the Northeast coast.

What was Ringo's Best Drumming? In my opinion, it was songs such as "I Saw Her Standing There," "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You," "Ticket To Ride," "Revolution," "Paperback Writer" "Birthday," "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey," "Helter Skelter," "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" just to name a few. Ringo said it best at the end of "Helter Skelter:" I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS! Take care.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

My favourite Ringo's drumming is on "Strawberry Fields Forever". I love listening only to the left channel of that track just to hear those great drums!
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

chimac

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »

My favourite Ringo's drumming is on "Strawberry Fields Forever". I love listening only to the left channel of that track just to hear those great drums!

Good call, another great example.  The Anthology version where John says "all right, calm down, Ringo..." towards the end is my favorite version.  Guys like Neil Peart and Keith Moon wouldn't be "challenged" by Ringo's drumming, but is that the point of drumming?  When it comes to serving the song and simply making you want to move, I can think of few better than Ringo.

Another thought:  "Sgt. Pepper Reprise".  How many urban / rap artists has this beat influenced?  Sounds modern still today, to my ears.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »

Good call, another great example.  The Anthology version where John says "all right, calm down, Ringo..." towards the end is my favorite version.  Guys like Neil Peart and Keith Moon wouldn't be "challenged" by Ringo's drumming, but is that the point of drumming?  When it comes to serving the song and simply making you want to move, I can think of few better than Ringo.

Another thought:  "Sgt. Pepper Reprise".  How many urban / rap artists has this beat influenced?  Sounds modern still today, to my ears.
yeah,nicely put.i admire ringo on so many levels drums-wise,he was just as much an innovator as those guys mentioned.ringos' sound was a big thing,lots of people think he wasn't too good but you try and play like ringo.trust me,'it don't come easy'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.688 seconds with 79 queries.