Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Reasons For Negative Reactions To Linda's Singing?  (Read 13598 times)

nimrod

Re: Reasons For Negative Reactions To Linda's Singing?
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »

OK heres my take on this;
This thread was started by maccafan asking why Linda was given a hard time over her singing.
IMO this is because she put herself up as a singer, when a singer she is not, she is a very average singer, you would hear better singers in most karaoke bars, I watched a pub group last week called Mixed Nuts with a female singer who was much better than Linda, she could sing Aretha songs, not as good as Aretha but she put them over well.
You get my drift here, Linda gets ridiculed because Paul made her into a singer and she is a poor singer, therefore she will get jokes told about here and given a hard time.
Now people who are big fans of Wings music will say 'hang on' I like her voice, I know she isnt Aretha but it fits well, they say this because the love the records with Linda singing on them, they love the 'sound' of those records, which I have absolutely no problem with..
What Im saying is that its obvious why Linda gets a hard time as a singer, yes, great wife & Mother photographer ? no doubt, but if you put yourself on a world stage as a _ _ _ _ _ _ (whatever) and you dont actually have talent in that field then you will be ridiculed, but you guys are saying she shouldnt be ridiculed as you like her voice on the concerts and records, therefore in my opinion you are not being objective.
Also its not fair that some put up vidoes of Yoko screeching and saying 'how about this, this is typical yoko etc' we all know that it was terrible, like a wounded cat, but as I said, on some records I think she sounds ok, like this;

Yoko Ono: "I'm Moving On" (1980)

Now Im not stupid, I know that Jack Douglas 'made' her sound good on that record and maybe even John Wrote it, the difference here is that I will ridicule Yoko myself even though I think she sounds ok on some tracks, I dont understand why you Wings fans cant understand why Linda gets ribbed over her (lack of) voice by non Wings fans.

Todd, no Im not blaming Linda's voice for me not liking Wings, I dont like Wings mainly because it is not the kind of music I like, I think the songs in the main are poor, Linda;s singing is just another reason I dont like Wings. After The Beatles (1970) I got into serious rock bands like Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Pink Floyd, I and my Beatle fan mates couldnt understand why Paul was making music like C Moon, Mary Had A Little Lamb and silly love songs etc when there was an explosion of serious rock music in the world but we decided he was after the sub 16 kids who were still buying singles and yes still screaming at him (which is probably what he wanted most)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:00:38 AM by nimrod »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

jamesbjorkman

• A Beginning
    • Everything Paul McCartney
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »

For me, it boils down to this: Linda and Yoko were both poor amateur singers.  The difference is that, while Paul over-did it with Linda at times by giving her leads and some backups that were too prominent, he usually was smart enough to figure out a way to work within her limitations so she could contribute in ways the other Wings guys could not.  Having a female voice, especially that of the woman he loved, on "Silly Love Songs" and some other tunes just made them better in ways Denny Laine couldn't.  No Carly Simon, to be sure, but she could fill a productive role as a generic female backup with unique associations to Paul.

As for Yoko, she and John both thought she was just a fabulous lead with a groundbreaking new sound, the wave of the future.  Totally wrong.  She ruined "Double Fantasy" and some of his other stuff which could have been great.  Any positive contribution she made was random ("Happy Xmas" springs to mind) because the tune happened to be better with any emotional female voice, and had nothing whatsoever to do with her being a useful cog in a productive machine, like Linda.

They both didn't merit their positions in a pure meritocracy, but Ringo wasn't exactly Al Jolson, either, and I like his stuff.  Linda was used a lot more cannily than Yoko was.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

Two great posts right there from Kevin and James. I guess I kind of lost track to the threads subject matter. Does Linda deserve some ribbing? Yeah, but in her defense, lets remember that she never wanted to sing or be in the band to begin with. Paul kind of pushed her into that role. Yoko on the other hand, pushed herself into her role. Linda readily admitted that she had lackluster talent where Yoko though she was a freaking genius.

nimrod

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »

Linda readily admitted that she had lackluster talent where Yoko though she was a freaking genius.

Oh come on Todd, its like here we go again, Lennons = baddies, McCartneys = goodies, poor old Linda eh, forced to sing and perform by her husband when all she wants to do is ride horses and do the ironing....haha

You dont know what Yoko thought, how do you know John wasnt doing exactly the same as paul ?

but yeah its fashionable to bash Yoko (and to know what she was thinking without ever meeting/talking her)

and then again Fred Seaman says it so it must be true haha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »

Oh come on Todd, its like here we go again, Lennons = baddies, McCartneys = goodies, poor old Linda eh, forced to sing and perform by her husband when all she wants to do is ride horses and do the ironing....haha

You dont know what Yoko thought, how do you know John wasnt doing exactly the same as paul ?

but yeah its fashionable to bash Yoko (and to know what she was thinking without ever meeting/talking her)

and then again Fred Seaman says it so it must be true haha

Your right. I give up. Linda and Yoko were practically the same exact person, in the same exact position. You win.

nimrod

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »

Your right. I give up. Linda and Yoko were practically the same exact person, in the same exact position. You win.

eh ??

C'mon Todd, you cant just give up..........I demand you argue with me  hahahahaha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »

I like Linda's voice.

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2012, 01:20:22 AM »

C'mon Todd, you cant just give up..........I demand you argue with me  hahahahaha

I cant. You refuse to acknowledge the written and spoken history of these people so its a no win situation.

I still love you though.  ;D

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »

http://youtu.be/uhR1fvHidAw

This is an old game, the "isolated mic to show how fake she is."  When you can't even hear yourself because of the crowd noise and you are nervous and out of breath, it's not hard to sound like a Karaoke reject.  The wonder is all the studio tricks that get these girls sounding good at all, and the fact that guys like Paul can belt difficult stuff out without tricks.
i agree with the studio tricks thing.
Sonny & Cher - The Beat Goes On
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

jamesbjorkman

• A Beginning
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 04:46:00 AM »

http://youtu.be/IHHxYl75eu8

Just a little proof that Paul is more than OK live as well.  Saying that Linda isn't as good a singer as these and other pros (Sinatra, Bennett, Peggy Lee, Donna Summer, whoever) isn't a slam imho, it's just obvious fact.  Everybody works with what they have and most pop personalities weren't blessed with naturally strong pipes.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »

I think I'm the only one who enjoys Linda's solo record. I don't think she has a good voice at all, but it's kind of cool and weird, like if the Shaggs had better production values.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

jamesbjorkman

• A Beginning
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »

http://youtu.be/eIUV37lmOUQ

Paul talks in 1982 about having Linda in "Wings."  He realized "there were better musicians than Linda," but that wasn't what it was about.  "In truth, I just wanted Linda up there." 
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 68 queries.