Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bruce Spizer Beatles For Sale  (Read 13290 times)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
Re: Bruce Spizer Beatles For Sale
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »

Great thread!
I was wondering if any of you knew how this compares to Geoff Emerick's "Here There and Everywhere?"

peterbell1

• Getting Better
Re: Bruce Spizer Beatles For Sale
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »

Great thread!
I was wondering if any of you knew how this compares to Geoff Emerick's "Here There and Everywhere?"

Oddly enough, I'm in the middle of reading the Emerick book now and I just got a copy of the Bruce Spizer/Frank Daniels book this week - so I'm perfectly placed to answer your question!!!  ;D

Basically, they are two totally different types of book. The Emerick one is a first-hand autobiographical account of Geoff's experiences at the Beatles recording sessions he worked on. I'm enjoying reading it, but he is obviously not a George fan.

The Spizer/Daniels "Beatles For Sale on Parlophone" book, meanwhile, is more akin to books like those produced by Mark Lewisohn - Beatles Recording Sessions or Beatles Chronicle etc. They are reference books that you dip in and out of rather than read from cover-to-cover.
If you have an interest in collecting original 1960s UK Beatles vinyl then get the Spizer/Daniels book for definite. I don't see how it could be bettered as a reference for UK vinyl collectors. It does give some background on each record release, but the main point of the book is to explain all the different labels and pressings etc of each single, album or EP released in the UK up to 1970.
The only negative point of the Bruce Spizer book is that it has made me realise how inadequate my Beatles collection is - it could end up costing me a fortune trying to fill all the gaps  ;D

And BTW, I got my copy of "Beatles For Sale on Parlophone" from Amazon UK for under £40 including postage which I think is a very good deal (and no, I'm not on commission  ;D ) ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Parlophone-Records-Bruce-Spizer/dp/0983295700
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:12:43 AM by peterbell1 »
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.