Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Paul's albums  (Read 17503 times)

nimrod

Re: Paul's albums
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »

Yeah some fine choices there Kev - I'm glad you seem to have opened up a bit to Macca's post Beatles stuff at last!  ;)

Like Todd I think there should've been room for "Ram" but hey it's all down to personal tastes of course. I am rather intrigued as to the lack of Wings on there though. What is it about them you can't take to? Just curious!

Theres just something I cant get over with the whole Wings period Mr M, I always feel Paul was not being himself, but he was acting out this kind of silly teeny pop star, there were some great songs of course, My Love, Tomorrow I liked but he always seemed be making these twee cringeworthy songs like Cmoon, Mary Had A Little Lamb, Silly Love Songs , Let em in, Goodnight Tonight ..........I never liked Linda's backing vocals, she was no singer.

I dont know, at the end of the Beatles during Let It Be, I thought Paul was magnificent, sat at the piano like a serious songwriter and writing serious songs I had very high hopes for him as a solo musician, all I can say is I didnt like his metamorphosis into a giggly cutsy pop star that seemed to be aimed directly at teenage girls with the above songs and albums like Ram. Its like he craved to be No 1 on the charts again and would release any catchy poppy shmaltz to get there.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »

Ok

I have now finished listening to all his solo and Wings albums, Ive digested each for a week or so so its taken a while and Ive decided on my favourites;

1) McCartney

2) Flaming Pie

3) Chaos & Creation

4) Off The Ground

5) Tug Of War

6) Band On The Run

There are of course individual tracks on others that I admire but these are my favourites (in that order), for me his (kitchen sink) first solo album was his best, a truly wonderful album

I like all of those. I tend to rate Tug of War higher. And I still have to admit that the production on Off the Ground gets to me a bit. Despite the good quality songs

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »

Its funny that in my opinion none of them surpassed theyre first solo effort (Its just an opinion remember)  ;D

Oh I don't know. I'd rate Ringo over Sentimental Journey  ;)

nimrod

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »

Oh I don't know. I'd rate Ringo over Sentimental Journey  ;)

Sorry mate I wasnt including Ringo, Ive never even heard one of his albums, dont like his singing and he's no solo artist, just living on his being an ex Beatle imo

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »

Sorry mate I wasnt including Ringo, Ive never even heard one of his albums, dont like his singing and he's no solo artist, just living on his being an ex Beatle imo

Wow.  I had no idea.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »

2) Flaming Pie

I must admit I've never understood the love for Flaming Pie. I find the ballads too backward-looking (hey, let's keep this simple and maybe another YesterdayIWillBlackbird will come out!) and faceless, while the rockers are just bland mid-tempo dad-rock. I do like Beautiful Night and Somedays and admit to not having heard the album in a while. Oh, and "I used to be bad, but I don't have to be bad no more" is quite possibly the greatest lyric ever written.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »

Oh, and "I used to be bad, but I don't have to be bad no more" is quite possibly the greatest lyric ever written.

ha2ha

I like Flaming Pie a lot. But have to agree on that song. 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »

Oh my my!

Oh My My // Blast From Your Past // Ringo Starr

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2014, 01:03:57 AM »

I must admit I've never understood the love for Flaming Pie. I find the ballads too backward-looking (hey, let's keep this simple and maybe another YesterdayIWillBlackbird will come out!) and faceless, while the rockers are just bland mid-tempo dad-rock. I do like Beautiful Night and Somedays and admit to not having heard the album in a while. Oh, and "I used to be bad, but I don't have to be bad no more" is quite possibly the greatest lyric ever written.

'Somedays' is my favorite song that he's ever done.  I just think its beautiful.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2014, 02:42:23 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2014, 03:57:30 AM »

Very "Get Back" drumming!

And that's Billy Preston on keyboards!
I can stay till it's time to go

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »

Interesting quote from a local gynecologist!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »

'Somedays' is my favorite song that he's ever done.  I just think its beautiful.

It is a good one, I can understand that. But wouldn't you say a good part of the album is just mediocre and dull?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »

Hope you don't mind me butting in here Ovi, but I don't think dull or mediocre are words that could be applied to the "Flaming Pie" album. Most tracks have something to commend them, and several (including "Somedays") really are very good indeed. For me, only "Heaven On A Sunday", "Souvenir" and "Really Love You" fall short; those I do feel are a bit turgid but that's just three tracks from fourteen. But then of course we all hear these things differently.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2016, 05:15:32 AM »

Theres just something I cant get over with the whole Wings period Mr M, I always feel Paul was not being himself, but he was acting out this kind of silly teeny pop star, there were some great songs of course, My Love, Tomorrow I liked but he always seemed be making these twee cringeworthy songs like Cmoon, Mary Had A Little Lamb, Silly Love Songs , Let em in, Goodnight Tonight ..........I never liked Linda's backing vocals, she was no singer.

I dont know, at the end of the Beatles during Let It Be, I thought Paul was magnificent, sat at the piano like a serious songwriter and writing serious songs I had very high hopes for him as a solo musician, all I can say is I didnt like his metamorphosis into a giggly cutsy pop star that seemed to be aimed directly at teenage girls with the above songs and albums like Ram. Its like he craved to be No 1 on the charts again and would release any catchy poppy shmaltz to get there.

This is so inaccurate! Please read this great,fair,accurate reviews of Paul's solo and Wings albums by music reviewer George Starostin,he debunks common myths about Paul's solo music!

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/paul.htm

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2016, 05:46:50 AM »

This is from my review of Venus and Mars on amazon.com

For anyone to say or think that Venus & Mars is not a good album (and thank God that by the majority of great reviews on here where it gets a well deserved 5 stars out of over 100 reviews for this album,they are very clearly much in the minority!) has to be deaf & dumb! This is one of the *GREATEST* solo/Wings Paul albums he ever did! It's great and it's Beatles quality because every song is very good or great & if anyone wants to know what a true music genius Paul really is,just listen to the *music* in the great Letting Go!

My mother only liked classical music,Beethoven,Bach & Mozart,no rock & she played their music on the piano.When I was playing this album and she came into the room when Letting Go was on,she asked me is that Paul McCartney and I said yes and she said Oh that music is brilliant,he's a music genius like Beethoven!

And my sister who is 4 years older than me and had a big diverse music collection since she was a mid teen,bought Venus and Mars when it came out,and I remember listening to it with her,and her friend and my best friend and we all loved it! My sister still says years later that Venus and Mars is one of the best rock albums she ever heard and that it's unique and she knows no album like it!She always said his 1971 Ram album was a very good album too,although I like this album much better and I really don't understand all of the love everywhere for his Ram album I think it only has 3 great songs on it,the great rocker Too Many People,Uncle Albert and Back Seat of My Car. Paul's best post Beatles sounding music was from 1970-1975,with this being his last true great album.After this he wrote some good music but he never wrote the same great quality music again for some reason.

His first solo album McCartney where he played every instrument by himself (and he played them all great) is very good,Red Rose Speeday and Band On The Run are very good albums too,and he produced all of these great albums by himself and co-arranged the music on Venus and Mars by himself.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:53:40 PM by fanofthefab4 »

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »

This might surprise people and I am sure I have written this before but James Dean Bradfield of The Manic Street Preachers loves and even interviewed McCartney about Tug of War and Pipes of Peace. Paul is still respected.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 1.216 seconds with 76 queries.