Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microscope: Wings At The Speed Of Sound  (Read 22993 times)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: Microscope: Wings At The Speed Of Sound
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:39 AM »

so Silly Love Songs was to involved and grown up for a 10 year old Gary ? that doesnt surprise me at all, it was more designed for 15 years olds LOL

Actually quite the opposite, when I was 15, I didn't have a lot of interest in it. I still liked it, but I was into the early '80s country fad. I liked Waylon and Willie better. I got smarter as I got older.

I still occasionally enjoy Waylon and Willie, but my musical tastes are now very diverse (jazz, country, rock, classical, blues, etc.).
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 06:41:21 PM »

Check out the shirt I got today.

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »

That's pretty cool!

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »

I am jealous.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 12:46:30 AM »

Still no internet at home. This is killing me.

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »

Still no internet at home. This is killing me.

I'm almost ready for London Town.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 01:44:48 AM »

I'll be up and running by Wednesday. Wife had to cancel Hughes.net today as they were jacking us around. Regardless, let em fly Cor. I'll catch up.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 12:52:50 AM »

I'd respond to this but I can't be bothered... I'll edit this post when I've done it... This ones not so great to me...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »

Review coming tomorrow (not that anybody gives a rats ass). The computer just got fixed.

Bump more than anything.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 12:49:11 AM »

Review coming tomorrow (not that anybody gives a rats ass). The computer just got fixed.

Bump more than anything.

Looking forward to it.

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »

Review coming tomorrow (not that anybody gives a rats ass).

is it about more McCartney drivel ?  4ac

ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »

is it about more McCartney drivel ?  4ac

ha2ha

You better back off because your about to get some of this pal.

;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 12:57:50 AM »

Ok, enough of this waiting. I'm doing the review even though I didnt get the chance to really listen to the album like I normally do. I just didnt have the time, but I listened to it in my truck on the way to work to refresh my memory so here goes nothing.

Let Em In - Never one of my favorites, but I have to admit that it sounded refreshing when I first started listening to it. The drums are what I dig the most about this tune (big surprise), but its a nice pop tune that Paul could throw out at will. The piano and Pauls voice is nice and the horns are huge. Like I said, I was digging it until about the 3 minute mark. Thats when I started asking myself if the song would ever end. Its too long and monotonous. It gets boring after awhile. I liked the flute too. Wanted to mention that. Sweet ending also.

The Note You Never Wrote - I dont like this one. Dennys voice does nothing for me on this song. Sounds flat. The song lumbers on and on (way too long again) and sounds like it would be better served on a Billy Joel album. He would have done it better. The guitar solo is excellent though if there's any saving grace here. The backgrounds are nice too. I'll pass on this one.

She's My Baby - Another one that I dont like. The bass is good, but this song sounds like something Paul would have done in the 80's with Micheal or something. It just sounds goofy and irrelevant to me. Its one of those tunes that I listen to and wish it would get out of the way for something else, because I know the something else will be better. Another pass.

Beware My Love - Maybe one of Pauls most overrated songs ever. People seem to latch onto it because its considered a rocker, but its a weak rocker at that. Its sad that I prefer the first 1:20 of the song to the rest. Give me the acoustic and harmonies. The 'Oh Oh Oh's' and 'No No No's' are silly sounding. The guitar has a nice tone and sound and Joe does some nice drumming, but the song does nothing but repeat itself and it does that for over 6 freaking minutes. I'll never understand the laurels this song receives. Pass.

Wino Junko - Here's one written and sang by Jimmy and its not too bad albeit a bit long. Jimmy voice is nice enough (he aint Paul though) and the song has a nice tempo. I really like the background harmonies and the guitar solo was excellent again. Its a nice, average song that I wish was shorter, but inoffensive nonetheless.

Silly love Songs - I'm partial to this song because of the irony. Paul shoved one in their faces here and for that, it will always have a soft spot in my heart. Besides all of that, its fantastic slice of pop. The bass line is legendary and rightfully so. Fantastic. Great drumming, harmonies, and horns. I like it.

Cook Of The House - Dear lord I hate to say this, but I like this song too. I think everybody here realizes that I actually like Lindas voice. Sure its flat and out of tune sometimes, but her harmonies are a Wings trademark and I dig her. It even starts out with the sounds of bacon frying (I dont know that for sure, but thats what I always imagine) so whats not to like? Great bass line and great drum shuffle. Its a toe tapper that doesnt take itself very seriously and I like it.

Time To Hide - My favorite on the album. Its a Denny Laine penned song and he sings on it, but his voice sounds good here. The song kind of reminds me of a cross between a Pink Floyd tune with a little bit of Bob Welch thrown in. Great bass line, horns are great, guitar sounds good, and it even has a harmonica. Love, love this one.

Must Do Something About It - The worst song on the album. Joe English takes the lead vocals here. He doesnt do bad actually, but the song just isnt interesting to me. The instruments are all well played and all that jazz, but its just a very average and forgettable song. I forget how it goes already.

San Ferry Anne - I like this one. It would be hard for me to explain to a person how the song goes, but my best description would be background music as you traveled to an island while on holiday and your departing from the boat. Nice tempo with lots of woodwinds and such. I dont know, but it makes me want to move around when I here it and thats a good thing.

Warm And Beautiful - This was in the race for the worst song on the album, but at least Paul sings on this one. Slower number with Paul singing and the piano. I kept waiting for the huge orchestra to come in and blow me away like Paul does so often, but it never happens. You do get a nice little guitar solo, but its not enough. The song is just too thin. Pass.

***Bonus Tracks***

Walking in the Park with Eloise - I think this is one that Pauls dad wrote, but its another one of those 20's, ragtime songs that Pauls famous for including on his records. Luckily for me, I like that stuff for the most part, but I can see how it could annoy the average listener. Upbeat with plenty of instruments as you can imagine. Instrumental though, so no singing from Paul. I like it well enough.

Bridge over the River Suite - I like this one too. Its another instrumental that probably would be better served as background music, but its kind of bluesy and has horns so its nice. Nothing special.

Sally G - I have a certain soft spot for this song, because it was the 'B-side' to Juniors Farm and I had the 45lp when I was young. Of course I didnt think that Paul did anything bad back then. He dabbles in country here (which I hate country music) and he pulls it off fairly well. If there's anything about the song that i hate its the electric guitar strums during the chorus. I dont know why something little like that bothers me, but it would have been better without it. This has the whole shabang though, fiddles, steel guitar, married cousins, etc,,. Its really not a very cood song, but I listened to it when I was young, so its gets a free pass.

Sorry the review wasnt as in depth as I would have liked, but I just wanted to get it done so I could read Cor's review. I dont listen to this album very often and never liked it a whole lot, but I was pleasantly surprised after I spun it. This is one that I probably will listen to more often as time passes. It has some mediocre songs and a few stronger ones, but there wasnt anything there that I thought was so dire that I couldnt listen to it. I should probably throw in some live stuff to get another side of the picture. I'm sure some of the songs would sound better in that transition (Beware My Love), but all in all, this album isnt too bad and I give it a thumbs up for now.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 01:26:21 AM »

Must Do Something About It
Lead vocals to Joe English on this one. Apart from Paul, he has the best voice in the band. Steady and pleasant to listen to. A pity that Paul gave him this forgettable song. As soon as it’s over, I have forgotten all about it.

Must Do Something About It - The worst song on the album. Joe English takes the lead vocals here. He doesnt do bad actually, but the song just isnt interesting to me. The instruments are all well played and all that jazz, but its just a very average and forgettable song. I forget how it goes already.

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 03:02:04 AM »

You better back off because your about to get some of this pal.

;D

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »

Yeah, and another thing Cor, was this the album that Paul purposely relinquished a lot of control so that Wings would feel more like a band. After listening to it, I felt as though Paul kind of sat in the background. Weird.

I do agree though, if most of the songs were cut down to a 2 1/2 minute play time, the album would be more enjoyable.

Bobber

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »

I think Paul tried to create a band atmosphere on the album and with a big tour on the way. That's what he always wanted: to be just one of the boys in a band. He forgot that in Wings, it was of course all about him.

Bobber

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 06:05:08 PM »

Been pretty busy lately. I'm skipping Wings Over America. Not because it's such a bad album (on the contrary), but there is hardly any song on it that has not discussed on Todd's or mine microscopes. So next on the list is London Town. I'm warning you I have a soft spot for this album as it was the first proper McCartney album I bought from my own pocket money.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

Oh yes, London Town, on the back of Silly Love Songs, Wings over all of the place (which made these Wings the best Wings) and then Mull of Kintyre (which I believe is still the highest selling UK single that has only been released once and isn't a for a charity concert) we got this one. I don't know who plays exactly what on what but it's full of great tunes and great playing, in Abbey Road Studios (silver rain was falling down) and aboard the motor yacht Fair Carol, sailing around the Virgin Islands. It's the document of a stoned millionaire, his family, his friends and I don't think this group lifestyle was ever as crazy again...

I have a soft spot for this one too...

Because it's got an edge to it.

Oh mist rolling in from the sea, my desire, is always to be here... TUNE.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:53:00 PM by Yeshelloitsmehereagain »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.772 seconds with 79 queries.