Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: " Off The Ground " - A Forgotten Gem ?  (Read 4002 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
" Off The Ground " - A Forgotten Gem ?
« on: April 06, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »

I think "Off The Ground " is a forgotten gem in Paul's solo career ?
 " Golden Earth Girl " even with it's dodgy lyrics as to be one of his most beatiful songs ,  " Biker Like An Icon" really rocks and  " Wine Dark Open Sea " as a stunning vocal from Paul .
I really like this album , what do other poeple think of this record ? (thumbsup)

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
Re: " Off The Ground " - A Forgotten Gem ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »

Lets say my copy is in mint condiction .  :-/
Wallflower Has Blossomed

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:50:38 AM »

I must admit I don't even got it.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »

Quote from: 449
Lets say my copy is in mint condiction .  :-/

Well give it another whirl Mr. Kite , the two McCartney/Costello songs  " Mistress And Maid " and  " The Lovers That Never Were " are great songs and the anti - vivisection song " Looking For Changes " is a real passonate statement about how we treat our fellow creatures (Better go check that leg of lamb )(jumping)

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »

I will do that , i know its not a classic album , but as much a Macca fan i am [honest] i don`t think he made any great albums , except Band On The Run  :)
Wallflower Has Blossomed

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »

There are some good songs here- "Wine Dark Open Sea" and "Get Out Of My Way," especially- and recording it with his touring band (who amounted to the latest incarnation of Wings) helped, too. It's patchy, but rather good on the whole, I think.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 02:21:47 PM »

Agree Geoff it is patchy in places , it reminds me of  " London Town " which is also patchy but it as that nice mellow feel like London Town .
I to like the playing of his then band, for me there a better band on record than the one he as now ? . And "Wine Dark Open Sea " really is one of his most heartfelt love songs to Linda , his lilting vocal i find really moving.(fish)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »

Quote from: 971
I to like the playing of his then band, for me there a better band on record than the one he as now ?

I'm going to have to pick up Paul's more recent albums one of these days; I've heard little since Run Devil Run from 1999. London Town, too, I think, is overlooked: apart from Robert Christgau, I think it was mostly panned  by the rock press when it came out. My impression is that Denny Laine had a lot more input than usual in that one.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 08:02:02 PM »

You should get " Chaos And Creation In The Backyard " ( 2005 ) Geoff it's one of the his best albums . Nigel Godrich the producer made Paul focus in a way which he had'nt done since his Beatles days and it shows  .

Jenny Wren
How Kind Of You
Riding To Vanity Fair
To Much Rain
This Never Happend Before

Are among Paul's best post Beatle songs , and he plays most of the instruments himself . I think  " Ram " - " Band On The Run "  and  " Chaos And Creation In The Backyard " will be the albums Paul is rememberd for ?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 11:33:02 PM »

You should get " Chaos And Creation In The Backyard " ( 2005 ) Geoff it's one of the his best albums . Nigel Godrich the producer made Paul focus in a way which he had'nt done since his Beatles days and it shows

Thanks for the tip; it's on my next Amazon.com list. But I wonder if twenty years from now we're even going to be talking about albums: I have the sense we're headed back towards individual songs. 8)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 11:46:59 PM »

You might be right there Geoff , i remember listening to a Kate Bush interview when she released her last album a few years back and she said listening to albums was a dying art form . So maybe we will all become pick and mix listeners .
Mind you i do like to feel an LP in my hands every now and then (jumping)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 12:46:36 AM »

'Off The Ground' is fantastic in my opinion. There's not a bad song on the record.

I will disagree with DaveRam about the band though. I like his current lineup much better. I cant stand Hamish Stuarts voice and Blair Cunningham cant hold Abe Laborials jock when it comes to drumming. Although Robbie Macintosh is great, I also like Rusty's tone on the guitar and Brain Ray plays a great bass along with guitar too. Its all opinion I suppose.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

i think that Off the Ground is a brilliant album & maybe macca's most underated album ever. the songs are so good
& the the genral atmosphere of the album is just excellant. great songs like Peace in the Neighbouhood, Widedark
Open Sea. one of macca's greatest love songs, Golden Earth Girl. excellant rocker, get outta my way. and it ends with
the very beatle-ly C'mon People. its a true macca claaisc in my own opinion!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 12:18:16 AM »

Quote from: 373
'Off The Ground' is fantastic in my opinion. There's not a bad song on the record.

I will disagree with DaveRam about the band though. I like his current lineup much better. I cant stand Hamish Stuarts voice and Blair Cunningham cant hold Abe Laborials jock when it comes to drumming. Although Robbie Macintosh is great, I also like Rusty's tone on the guitar and Brain Ray plays a great bass along with guitar too. Its all opinion I suppose.

I really like his current band tkitna , the point i was making was the old band were better on the album , because Paul used them throughout . The new band as yet to make it's full stamp on a McCartney album , as Paul in recent times as played a lot of the instruments himself .
I hope he makes fuller use of them on the new album , Memory Almost Full showed that when he uses them there excellent in the studio .
Live i think they are the best band he's had .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 12:33:12 AM »

Quote from: 614
i think that Off the Ground is a brilliant album & maybe macca's most underated album ever. the songs are so good
& the the genral atmosphere of the album is just excellant. great songs like Peace in the Neighbouhood, Widedark
Open Sea. one of macca's greatest love songs, Golden Earth Girl. excellant rocker, get outta my way. and it ends with
the very beatle-ly C'mon People. its a true macca claaisc in my own opinion!  :)

I agree Andy it's a excellent album and very underated , i think it's got lost a bit ,  " The Anthology Project " and  " Flaming Pie " seemed to overshadow it .
I always thought  " C'mon People " should have been a top 3 record .

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 04:08:11 AM »

I started to listen to Paul when Chaos and Creation in the Backyard came out, and because of this thread I want to find Off the ground, but the only place I can find it is on Amazon.com. I have been having issues finding it anywhere else. So I would have to agree on my limited knowledge that it is a forgotten album, but I can't give my opinion as to whether it is a gem or not. maybe I can post again when this thread is like a year and  a half old and let you know!! ;)
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 04:21:52 AM »

i've never heard it :-/
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »

I  think  " Peace In The Neighbourhood " as a  " Steely Dan " feel to it ?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 01:31:01 AM »

I really like his current band tkitna , the point i was making was the old band were better on the album , because Paul used them throughout . The new band as yet to make it's full stamp on a McCartney album , as Paul in recent times as played a lot of the instruments himself .

Ahhhh, I gotcha. Yeah, I agree. I wonder why he just downst do an entire album with them? I've never really thought about it. Strange indeed.

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »

I guess he wants to be in control, like he's used to. I think his albums would improve if he should give his band some creative space on his albums tho. Remember the guitar solo on My Love? The guys are creative and good enough to fill in some arrangements on their own.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 83 queries.