Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: U2: good or bad?  (Read 15551 times)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
Re: U2: good or bad?
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2009, 05:08:59 PM »

good read. but, i must ask. and i ask this about all political protesters. they believe that because U2 is keeping their money untaxed, that it automatically robs the poor from their cash? i understand how it could, but i doubt that they really would use the tax money collected from U2 to go give it to the poor.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »

They put the money into their pockets.

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »

Great album.Magnificent and Unknown Caller are two that I like a lot.No Line On the Horizon could be a more than OK single I think.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »

I'm gonna buy U2's new album.  What couple of songs I've heard, I like.

MarthaMyDear

• A Beginning
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

I just caught U2 on "Good Morning America"...........they sounded in fine form!  Also, very business savy of them to perform in front of a large university contingent!  With regards to that article criticizing them about taxes, I'd like to know how much they've paid "in" prior to setting up their tax-relief haven in 2006??  During, their prime earning years, no less!
The title of the new CD was inspired by the view where Bono lives in Ireland..........he said to Diane Sawyer, "where the sky meets the horizon of the sea, it looks like it goes on for infinity" :)
.....it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right, where I belong I'm right, where I belong.....

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »

Just bought the new U2 disc today and listened to the entire disc.  Great stuff!!!!  I think Bono and the boys outdid themselves with this release.

MarthaMyDear

• A Beginning
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2009, 01:51:24 AM »

I plan to get the new CD too, very soon!  Nice to hear good reviews...............trouble is, once I get hooked on their new stuff, I'll want to see them again, but can't get too excited to attend a stadium concert.... Uggghh...........Gillette Stadium in Foxboro would be the place closest to me.  Saw Paul there twice and he was just too darn far away :-/
.....it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right, where I belong I'm right, where I belong.....

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2009, 12:25:51 AM »

Quote from: 1836
I plan to get the new CD too, very soon!  Nice to hear good reviews...............trouble is, once I get hooked on their new stuff, I'll want to see them again, but can't get too excited to attend a stadium concert.... Uggghh...........Gillette Stadium in Foxboro would be the place closest to me.  Saw Paul there twice and he was just too darn far away :-/

wait, you're a ma**hole too? holy crap. thats like 3 towns from me. i plan on going to the concert in september there with my buddy.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

MarthaMyDear

• A Beginning
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »

Quote from: 343

wait, you're a ma**hole too? holy crap. thats like 3 towns from me. i plan on going to the concert in september there with my buddy.

Excuse me!  I live "north of the border" of your state.......................but spend lots of my money attending concerts in MA ;)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

I'm not a U2 fan, but I was digging their 18 Singles album lately. Although I already knew all those classics, I was nicely surprised when I sat and paid real attention to their songs. That's a lot from a close-minded 60's fan like me. I especially fell in love with two of their songs: "I Will Follow" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (great beats!).

U2 - I will follow

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

Love the line: "The real battle just begun, to claim the victory Jesus won."
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »

I'm not a U2 fan, but I was digging their 18 Singles album lately. Although I already knew all those classics, I was nicely surprised when I sat and paid real attention to their songs. That's a lot from a close-minded 60's fan like me. I especially fell in love with two of their songs: "I Will Follow" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (great beats!).

Love the line: "The real battle just begun, to claim the victory Jesus won."

I quite liked U2 early on. Probably up to Unforgettable Fire. The songs you mentioned certainly I think are among their best. Since the late 80s I've liked the odd song but that's about it. You have to give them credit for trying different styles and things but I'm not convinced they carried most of them off too brilliantly. I think their best style is straightforward melodic rock with The Edge doing his quick fire maching gun rhythms.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »

I quite liked U2 early on. Probably up to Unforgettable Fire. The songs you mentioned certainly I think are among their best. Since the late 80s I've liked the odd song but that's about it. You have to give them credit for trying different styles and things but I'm not convinced they carried most of them off too brilliantly. I think their best style is straightforward melodic rock with The Edge doing his quick fire maching gun rhythms.

I tend to hate 80's rock, but I think that U2 was different than most of the music of the decade. But I know that there were some other exceptions too.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »

Can't stand the dire 1980s and so I'm not exactly well disposed to like U2, but, you know, I can think of a lot worse.

That said, if U2s first record came out in Ireland in, I think, 1979, have they yet (quite apart from BBC sessions, pantomimes, Xmas flexis, films, television appearances etc.) actually recorded more songs than the Beatles did between 1962-1969.
I'd guess not. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2014, 01:46:49 AM »

Can't stand the dire 1980s and so I'm not exactly well disposed to like U2, but, you know, I can think of a lot worse.

That said, if U2s first record came out in Ireland in, I think, 1979, have they yet (quite apart from BBC sessions, pantomimes, Xmas flexis, films, television appearances etc.) actually recorded more songs than the Beatles did between 1962-1969.
I'd guess not.

I'd made a point in another thread that one thing that counts against U2 a bit in the legacy stakes is that they haven't been the most prolific of acts. 12 studio albums ( they seem to count Rattle and Hum as one of these although several cuts are from live performances)in 35 years isn't exactly an arduous pace of creation. Checking the ever reliable Wikipedia it seems they've in total recorded 240 distinct songs (not counting multiple versions of the same song). Not sure how that works with only 12 albums. Taking at face value it beats the Beatles studio recording "canon" which I think is just under 200. But of course that 200 was done from 62 to 70. One quarter of the time U2 have been active.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2014, 03:16:03 AM »

If we count the covers, the Beatles recorded about 210 songs, and always talking about official LPs, EPs and singles. If we add material like the Anthologies and BBC sessions, the quantity is much more.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »

That early to mid 80s with the New Romantic thing really was a weird time in music. It seemed all pervasive. Two out of three music videos were a bunch of haircuts in puffy shirts playing synth pop. Certainly it seemed the UK charts were pretty much a closed shop to anyone not in that genre. Older acts had to join in to keep up, like Rod Stewart who sacked his band and got a bunch of younguns to give him that current sound.

So in that environment U2 were like Led Zeppelin in comparison.

Bobber

« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »

U2 are currently playing Amsterdam. The critics are very very very positive.

KelMar

« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »

Two out of three music videos were a bunch of haircuts in puffy shirts playing synth pop.

Now that makes me laugh! Just what I need to wake me up. :)

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »

I made a Greatest Hits  of U2 on my iPod, and it's good to listen to!  icon_good

U2 would be great if they were the Beatles!  icon_king
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »

I wouldn't say particularly good or bad to be honest.

Somewhere in the middle, even for groups whose name begins with a U (better than UB40 or The Undertones but not as good as Uriah Heep).

Just never understood all the fuss over them?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 90 queries.