Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flashback Candlestick Park  (Read 1002 times)

Bobber

Flashback Candlestick Park
« on: September 01, 2005, 01:34:53 PM »

Found this on therockradio.com: a flashback on the Beatles' last concert. Thought it might be of interest.

Flashback: Final concert for the Beatles
It was on this date (August 29th) in 1966 that the Beatles performed their last official concert in San Francisco at Candlestick Park. The tour, which had already hit Germany, Japan and the Philippines, was dogged by controversy - protests greeted the group in Tokyo prior to their performance at the Budokan Arena, which until then had been reserved strictly for the martial arts. In the Philippines the group fled the country after being accused of snubbing the infamous President and First Lady Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos, after they politely declined to attend an official state luncheon.

By the time the group landed in the U.S. to kick off the tour on August 12th, a furor was brewing over John Lennon's remarks about religion made months before during a British interview, which had been reprinted in a teen magazine, which ran part of the discussion out of context printing: "Christianity will go it will vanish and shrink... Jesus was alright, but his disciples were thick and ordinary... We're more popular than Jesus now." Lennon's statements, which were ignored in Britain, ignited protests, including record burnings all over the "bible belt" and southern American states.

The Beatles held a press conference on August 11th in Chicago, the night before they were due to perform, with Lennon trying to explain exactly what he meant in the interview. In lieu of an actual apology this quelled the Beatle bonfires, but the controversy cast a shadow over the tour which proved to be lackluster -- both in the Beatles' performances and ticket sales.

Beatlefan magazine's executive editor Al Sussman told us that it was clear that by the summer of '66 "Beatlemania" was on the wane: "There were rumors at the time that the tour might be cancelled. And indeed a number of the shows including Shea Stadium were not sellouts, and that upper deck was pretty empty."

On August 29th, 1966 at 8:00 PM the group took the stage set on the second base line at Candlestick Park, and ran through what many recall as one of the better shows from the tour. During the 33-minute show the Beatles performed 11 songs: Chuck Berry's "Rock And Roll Music," "She's A Woman," "If I Needed Someone," "Day Tripper," "Baby's In Black," "I Feel Fine," "Yesterday," "I Wanna Be Your Man," "Nowhere Man," "Paperback Writer," and Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally" -- their first performance of the song in nearly a year.

Paul McCartney, knowing that the show was to be the Beatles' last, captured the show on a portable tape recorder, which eventually has made the rounds of bootleg collectors. Rather than end with "I'm Down," their usual set-closer for the tour, McCartney surprised the rest of the group by launching into their original set closer, Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally," as a nod to the music that originally inspired them. Afterward, George Harrison broke into a few notes of "In My Life" from the group's 1965 Rubber Soul album. The group then turned their backs on the 25,000 screaming fans and posed for a picture set on an automatic timer to symbolically cap off their performing career. They were then were whisked out of the stadium by armored van.

Beatlefan's Al Sussman says that in hindsight it was obvious that the tour would be their last: "They knew. That's why they recorded the last show. Because it had gotten so awful... They were really looking toward it as the last tour anyway, but especially after the Christ thing they said 'We're done.'"

George Harrison talked about the final concert in The Beatles Anthology, saying that: "We'd done about 1,400 live shows and I certainly felt that was it. I was thinking 'This is going to be such a relief -- not having to go through that madness anymore'... It was a unanimous decision."

Although the Beatles performed in public one more time -- with keyboardist Billy Preston -- on January 30th, 1969 on the London rooftop of their Apple headquarters, during the finale of their Let It Be movie, the group's Candlestick Park performance was their last officially advertised and ticketed concert.

Upon reaching London on August 31st, 1966 the Beatles all went their separate ways, with John Lennon heading to Spain to star in the film How I Won The War and George Harrison going to India to study the sitar. McCartney and Ringo Starr stayed based in London, with McCartney composing the score for the movie The Family Way and Starr tending to his growing family.

On November 24th, 1966 all four Beatles regrouped at Abbey Road Studios to begin recording "Strawberry Fields Forever" - which was the first track recorded for the album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, even though it was removed from the project early on and released as a single.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: Flashback Candlestick Park
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 02:15:25 PM »

Very nice find Bobber - thanks for sharing :)

Wayne L.

Re: Flashback Candlestick Park
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 02:58:55 PM »

It's too bad there isn't a concert documentary of the Beatles final concert at Candlestick Park back in 66 like there is of their appearance at Shea Stadium & Budokan because I WOULD like to see it.

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 37 queries.