Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: "oh, dirty Maggie Mae..." complete version?  (Read 8604 times)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
Re: "oh, dirty Maggie Mae..." complete version?
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 06:58:27 PM »

I'm arguing for "hung/hanged about" since that's all he sings.
If he'd wanted to say "hung up" he would have said it.He could have scanned it into the song easily by singing "nothin t'get hung up about" but he didn't because he wasn't saying that.

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »

Cool. Either way, I wish they'd released an official version in its original acoustic form! Very lovely before all the "psychedelic" trappings were added.
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 01:05:47 AM »

sorry i had to retract that......you can't win with his sort paul...you handled it just right...find out what mickey dolenz says what he was saying...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:12 AM »

Quote from: 284
sorry i had to retract that......you can't win with his sort paul...you handled it just right...find out what mickey dolenz says what he was saying...

I could post the entire bootleg of all the takes from SFF just to make a point, I suppose? But I didn't want to get that pedantic.

Wasn't this thread meant to be about Maggie Mae?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2007, 02:55:38 AM »

I think Lennon used a lot of words or phrases because he liked the way they sounded. They didn't always have meaning. I mean, look at the rest of the lyrics to that song. He's playing with words.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:30 PM »

Quote from: 483
I could post the entire bootleg of all the takes from SFF just to make a point, I suppose? But I didn't want to get that pedantic.

You seem to be saying that Lennon sang 'hung up' on some takes.
In which case you have to ask yourself, did he change it for the sound or for the sense?
But then again I'm not sure you're really interested in the debate.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »

Quote from: 410
You seem to be saying that Lennon sang 'hung up' on some takes.
In which case you have to ask yourself, did he change it for the sound or for the sense?
But then again I'm not sure you're really interested in the debate.

Zipp, with respect, I think you've come up with your own little idea of that line in the song, that no-one else has considered before, and you think it's so clever, that no amount of reason is going to shift you from it!

Believe whatever crazy things you want. You are correct, I'm not interested in the debate anymore.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2007, 02:10:22 PM »

Zipp, with respect, I think you've come up with your own little idea of that line in the song, that no-one else has considered before, and you think it's so clever, that no amount of reason is going to shift you from it!

Believe whatever crazy things you want. You are correct, I'm not interested in the debate anymore.

Well some people who have contributed to the debate have accepted some of what I say.
And I think it's positive to make people think about what they are hearing instead of just making unsubstantiated assumptions.
I've listened to a few versions of Strawberry Fields and haven't heard Lennon sing 'hung up' even once.If you have, then I'd have been pleased to share that knowledge.
I HAVE noticed that on Anthology he sings 'Let me take you back' instead of 'Let me take you down' which is an interesting lyric change (Especially considering that to go from his house to Strawberry Fields Lennon actually had to go UP a road!)
Anyway, I certainly don't think calling my idea crazy is much use.

Don't worry though.Nothing to get hung (up) about.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2007, 03:16:25 AM »

he use to leave words out to keep a rhyme scheme going too...he may have done that...i am sure only he knew for sure tho what he meant all the time...he made phrases to make you think...he is a think mans musician more than any of the others too...just my opinion.....sondra what are you wearing??????

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2007, 03:26:45 AM »

Well some people who have contributed to the debate have accepted some of what I say.
And I think it's positive to make people think about what they are hearing instead of just making unsubstantiated assumptions.
I've listened to a few versions of Strawberry Fields and haven't heard Lennon sing 'hung up' even once.If you have, then I'd have been pleased to share that knowledge.
I HAVE noticed that on Anthology he sings 'Let me take you back' instead of 'Let me take you down' which is an interesting lyric change (Especially considering that to go from his house to Strawberry Fields Lennon actually had to go UP a road!)
Anyway, I certainly don't think calling my idea crazy is much use.

Don't worry though.Nothing to get hung (up) about.

actually george martin may have suggested the change....
pssst paul watch this!!!zipp your debates always include conflict so i don't see them classified as debates since your initial stance never wavers from start to finish debates have common grounds,your disscusions still turn my stomach and your arrogance towards paul is unfounded if you wanna start an arguement go to a yahoo chatroom...this is a forum...

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »

Quote from: 284
actually george martin may have suggested the change....
pssst paul watch this!!!zipp your debates always include conflict so i don't see them classified as debates since your initial stance never wavers from start to finish debates have common grounds,your disscusions still turn my stomach and your arrogance towards paul is unfounded if you wanna start an arguement go to a yahoo chatroom...this is a forum...

Not very helpful pc!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2007, 11:01:27 AM »

Yesterday I listened to the first demo's of SFF recorded in Santa Isabel, Spain. Take 6 is the first to incorporate that verse, and on it he sings 'nothing to get mad about'. That would be enough for me to suggest that when he very quickly (the next take, I think) changed the word to 'hung'  it meant 'hung up', as it worked better than 'mad. I doubt that in the space of a few seconds he'd change the meaning from getting mad to getting executed!

You, of course Zipp, will probably completely dismiss this information, and accuse me of not knowing my English again. I'll mail you the take if you like. It doesn't prove anything, but it does make a good argumennt for it. Which is more than can be said for 'Hanging'.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »

Yesterday I listened to the first demo's of SFF recorded in Santa Isabel, Spain. Take 6 is the first to incorporate that verse, and on it he sings 'nothing to get mad about'. That would be enough for me to suggest that when he very quickly (the next take, I think) changed the word to 'hung'  it meant 'hung up', as it worked better than 'mad. I doubt that in the space of a few seconds he'd change the meaning from getting mad to getting executed!

It would seem to show that Lennon was looking for an Americanism (in the sixties 'mad' in British English only meant 'insane' and not 'angry').
So that would support your theory that when he said hung he was thinking of hung up (whch was also an Americanism).
As has already been mentioned, Lennon was also interested in the sound of the words he was using and probably preferred the softer H and G of hung to the harder M and D of mad.
As for the sense, you mustn't take the hanging idea too literally.As I've said before it's only an image.All these ideas are in similar territory.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »

It would seem to show that Lennon was looking for an Americanism (in the sixties 'mad' in British English only meant 'insane' and not 'angry').

I'm not trying to wind you up here, but you seem to have strong opinions of what the English mean when they say things. On what do you base this statement -'in the sixties 'mad' in British English only meant 'insane' and not 'angry'. I was born in England in 1958, and the word 'mad' has always meant 'angry', amongst other things. Who told you it didn't? Once again, you've come out with a statement that I have never in my life heard before. I may not live in England anymore, but I did for the first 40 years of my life, and I think I know the English language and the people pretty well.

Anyway, we've gone well off topic. Maggie Mae anyone? If there's anything more to say about it.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »

They have taken her away.

:P
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »

Not very helpful pc!

it wasn't meant to be...wether you want to admit it or not john was the most americanized beatle...he was adpoting our ways since the beginning...he began very early to disassociate himself with mother england,his claim to being of irish decent(a tony sheridan similarity there)..during this time he also was interacting with the monkees and other american bands,george was into this groove too,the hippies were always saying don't let the man hang you up,which i assume means don't let society take you and make you something you are not by controlling you so that you are not true to yourself,thus is with the yuppie i suppose(hippies with careers)but i digress...the hippie was worried that the moral majority of america was controlling their destinies and stifling their freedom of choice,so they took a stand against the oppressions such as war and laws against mary jane...they had smoke-ins,lovefests and concerts...the hippies didn't just start in california either,new york has them too,grenich village,folk music for some reason i always group with the hippies to for some reason...but john was aware of the hippie phenom too and it showed in his lyrics,i think that was why we clashed b4 zapp over that christmas album thing,you were taking the uk stance and were sure the was no from us to you type deal but maybe john called it that somewheres,maybe that guy who new him that ex vet knows,but i believe john was talking about the hippie definition of getting hung up,but sounds so much as hung....americans tend to slang terms and words so as to more easily converse and john americanised hung up as hung......all this is just my stance tho...it is not endorsed by the forum or communists.....another thing we use hung for is like "he is hung like a race horse." hung in this case means he has a big penis...hung mean the past tense of hanging too like i hung the shirt up or he was hung by the neck till dead...hanging by the neck always seemed old west  to me as is the case with many others i think as well....so hung to me just seems better than bothered to me and john too...i believe it to an attempted at hippieism...

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2007, 08:34:26 PM »

I'm not trying to wind you up here, but you seem to have strong opinions of what the English mean when they say things. On what do you base this statement -'in the sixties 'mad' in British English only meant 'insane' and not 'angry'. I was born in England in 1958, and the word 'mad' has always meant 'angry', amongst other things. Who told you it didn't? Once again, you've come out with a statement that I have never in my life heard before. I may not live in England anymore, but I did for the first 40 years of my life, and I think I know the English language and the people pretty well..

I was born in England too and I'm even older than you.In 66 you were eight so maybe a bit too young to remember.According to wikipedia the difference still exists in 2007 :

M

Word/ British English meanings /Meanings common to British and American English /American English meanings

mad                 eccentric                                           insane                                                  enraged  

I had to simplify the presentation but you can check it here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_words_having_different_meanings_in_British_and_American_English

I am not putting you down by saying you were young just trying to explain why maybe you're unaware of this.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »

I was born in England too and I'm even older than you.In 66 you were eight so maybe a bit too young to remember.According to wikipedia the difference still exists in 2007 :

M

Word/ British English meanings /Meanings common to British and American English /American English meanings

mad                 eccentric                                           insane                                                  enraged  

I had to simplify the presentation but you can check it here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_words_having_different_meanings_in_British_and_American_English

I am not putting you down by saying you were young just trying to explain why maybe you're unaware of this.

Methinks you trust in Wiki a little too much. All your statements are backed up by Wiki. But you are very wrong my friend. Mad has always meant angry in England, as well as other things. I'm talking from experience, not what I read on the net. Frankly, I've never heard such rubbish as you speak, and I am finaly done with this thread. It's a waste of time debating with someone who takes as gospel what he read on the notoriously innacurate Wikipedia.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2007, 08:42:53 PM »

you didn't pro-create i hope......you lived so long but condesend to everyone.......i bet you might have only a friend or two
you seem like a drag daddy-o.....have you not traveled in another mans shoe b4????you threw a rock at the prostitute and vetod humanity...your kind gave christ up for an exhibition...wait my stomach is turning again...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2007, 08:47:51 PM »

are you mad???careful paul don't degenerate your gentle nature to much.......zipp i tried to humble and you seemingly grudge on....i am confused....don't hang the messenger...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 78 queries.