Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Across the Universe Movie  (Read 11708 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Across the Universe Movie
« on: September 07, 2006, 02:18:04 AM »

Okay, so check this out:

An original musical film, Across The Universe is a fictional love story set in the 1960s amid the turbulent years of anti-war protest, the struggle for free speech and civil rights, mind exploration and rock and roll. At once gritty, whimsical and highly theatrical, the story moves from high schools and universities in Massachusetts, Princeton and Ohio to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, the Detroit riots, the killing fields of Vietnam and the dockyards of Liverpool. A combination of live action and painted and three-dimensional animation, the film is paired with many Beatles songs that defined the time.

Here are some of the characters:

Jim Sturgess ....  Jude

Evan Rachel Wood ....  Lucy

Joe Anderson ....  Max

Dana Fuchs ....  Sadie

Cynthia Loebe ....  Diner Waitress

Martin Luther ....  Jo-Jo

T.V. Carpio ....  Prudence

Eddie Izzard ....  Ringmaster

So are images of the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton popping into anyone elses head??

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Across the Universe Movie
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:25:57 AM »

i will watch it with you....

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 09:49:07 PM »

I have heard of most of these actors, ecept T.V. Carpio. This movie will either be a disaster or a total success. There will be no middle ground.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 02:34:22 AM »

I just saw the commercial for this and BONO is in it!!! He was doing I Am the Walrus. I wasn't expecting that. Now I have to see it. Anyway, here's a clip from it:

P35WWj0DSKY

I love Eddie Izzard, but what the hell?

A review from Variety:

All you need is love -- for the Beatles, for psychedelic visuals, for ideas about being young in the

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 02:42:43 AM »

Ouch.

:o

[size=9]Yes, I'll be seeing it, too.[/size]
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 03:00:08 AM »

Some trailers. It's reminding me of a cross between Hair and Moulin Rouge. Maybe it wont suck? Dunno.

bQ6d3m-GFyw

DbpVvr17q0A
(I've Just Seen a Face)

NWVDB6IQD20
It Won't Be Long

otNoyxycMfE
(Girl/Helter Skelter)

Okay, you get the idea. There's tons of them on YouTube.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:10:18 AM »

Okay, a couple more. But just because it's Bono!!

BONO as Dr. Robert. He's interviewed too.

MmHyJFIbKBI

bzrytzuLdwQ

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:12:47 AM »

Now that's bettah!

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »

That version of It Won't Be Long is terrible!

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:16:01 PM »

On Friday, Julie Taymor (the director and the one who thought the whole thing up) was on Oprah Winfrey. Oprah was obviously very impressed by the movie, I didn't realize that she was a big Beatles fan.

Anyways, Julie said that she herself got to SIT NEXT TO PAUL MCCARTNEY while showing him the movie. And Oprah's like "Oh my god, did you really? I always thought I was gonna marry him!" She was really blown away by that, she should just have him on her show! And then Oprah asked her how it felt. And Julie says that it was the most terrifying moment ever! All of us ladies can imagine how she felt, 'cause it seems like even at his age Paul still attracts females, and she didn't want to make a fool out of herself or whatever. I know that if I was put in that situation I would be sooooo nervous! And I thought it was really cute that when the movie was playing All My Loving, Paul was singing along to it under his breath! And Julie asked him what he thought of it when it was over and he said "What's not to like?" (And Oprah was flipping out meanwhile, she even had tears in her eyes at one point 'cause it brings back Beatle memories...)

So, I hope this is a good movie, I really think that it will be. Everyone seemed to be very excited about it, and Paul seemed like he loved it. And at the end of the Oprah show, four of the actors/actresses from the movie came out and sang first Blackbird, then All My Loving, Don't Let Me Down, and All You Need Is Love. I'm going to see it when it comes out this weekend, so let's hope it's a good one!
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 03:51:22 AM »

Oprah is a BIG Beatles fan. I read her magazine (yes, I fail at life. whatevs) and she's ALWAYS making Beatles references in the article titles or whatever.

Anyway, I still really want to see this movie. Damn my parents for not settling down near a movie theatre.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 06:32:51 AM »

I just saw it tonight...it is amazing!  ;D

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 10:34:16 PM »

Alright, I FINALLY saw this movie with my sister on Friday night, the opening day, at least in my area! Wow, it was amazing! The actors all did a great job, and sang very well, too. Definitly go see this movie, any Beatles fan will love it! I'm probably gonna see it again with my parents.  ;D
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 05:33:24 AM »

I saw it tonight. It was very well done. I loved the way they portrayed what was going on at that time and how people were feeling. The Let It Be sequence made me cry! Very good how they included the Detroit riots with the death of the Vietnam vet which kind of began the whole end of the American dream. But they did gloss over the whole Civil Rights movement for the rest of the movie. Guess that wasn't the focus of the characters though. The Uncle Sam part was a bit too heavy on the propaganda I thought, but still very cool. I LOVED Bono's Ken Kesey type character. He was PERFECT!!! He nailed it. His mock California American accent was great. He needs to do more acting. I swear. The other part that I thought was hysterical was Joe Cocker showing up in the subway as a bum! That was so funny and perfect! He did a great version of Come Together. Very, very cool. Anyway, I think you all should see it. Beatles music or not it was a great film. Salma Hyeck was out of place though and the Eddie Izzard part wasn't really needed. Made the movie too long. The Jude character was great. He sang his songs perfectly. Although he sang with more of an accent than the Beatles ever did! I found that interesting. I mean, I wonder if the Beatles tried to sing without the accent or if it just happened that way. I know early on they immitated American singers, but I don't think they did it later on. But I digress. My point is: SEE IT!

Hey, was it Bono singing Lucy in the Sky at the end? If so I thought he did a great job. Better than his version of I am the Walrus. If it was him doing Lucy. Whoever it was it was great.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 05:38:19 AM »

Quote from: 218
Oprah is a BIG Beatles fan. I read her magazine (yes, I fail at life. whatevs) and she's ALWAYS making Beatles references in the article titles or whatever.

Anyway, I still really want to see this movie. Damn my parents for not settling down near a movie theatre.

You HAVE to see it Mairi. You would love it. How far could a movie theater be from you? I can't imagine.

At one point in the movie the characters are talking about ways to get out of the draft. I thought it was funny that the guy decided he would rather go to Vietnam than Canada! They go: "Montreal's cool" and he goes, "they speak French!" Cute.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »

I live about an hour away from the nearest movie theatre, and it only plays one movie at a time. I've been thinking about making the trip, though. If it's as good as you say it is- and I suspect it will be.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 03:03:57 AM »

It will be well worth the trip. Trust me. It's a movie you have to see on the big screen. DVD won't do it justice. Talk a friend that drives into taking you!

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 09:27:27 PM »

I never get to see these things. We never have these venues in the UK! >:(
I want to see Love & Across the Universe, but that means i have to travel to the
US. sorry, i'm i moaning! :P :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 03:27:07 AM »

Yeah but Across the Universe is a movie. Isn't it already playing in the UK? LOVE is another thing altogether. I mean, even people in the US have trouble getting to Vegas sometimes. Maybe they'll do a LOVE tour eventually. They really should because it was f-ing amazing. As was Across the Universe. I can't believe quality Beatles related stuff is being put out lately. Maybe it's time for a new biopic. Or maybe we'd be pushing our luck.

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 09:39:04 AM »

I read this review. Not everybody seems to be happy with this film:

Out of all the legendary bands you can choose from to design a soundtrack for a movie, director Julie Taymor sided with The Beatles. Therein lies a problem. Only half of the members of The Beatles are still alive today. How do you score a movie when half of the band can't even play?

In Julie Taymor's eyes, the answer was simple. Her latest film, "Across the Universe," tells a love story much like a musical does, but to the tunes of The Beatles. The combination seems fascinatingly original, but the content may be too simple and tiresome.

Everyone, meet Jude, your main character. Now, say "Hey Jude". Congratulations, you've just had your first lesson in one of the many references to The Beatles lore in "Across the Universe." Sounds a little easy doesn't it? Well, the most fun you will get out of "Across the Universe" is exactly that.

The story, hidden underneath all of the psychedelic musical scenes, is disappointingly cliched and simple. Jude falls in love with Lucy as the nationwide happenings of the 60s tears them apart. Along the way, as if to heighten the dullness of the story, Taymor laces the scenes with lyrics that play mistakenly as coincidence to the story. Needless to say, it's easy to lose interest without the music.

For an aesthetic art form, this film is experimentally brilliant. It is doubtful, though, these images will replace or even be remembered when hearing a Beatles' song replayed on the radio. The bottom line is, "Across the Universe," brings nothing new to the table other than a unique visual interpretation of an original soundtrack from some of the greatest songwriters of all time. If The Beatles catch your fancy, this film a sure fire enjoyment. If nothing else, just "Let it Be".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 87 queries.