Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stuart's Poetry Put to Music  (Read 2235 times)

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
Stuart's Poetry Put to Music
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »

Stuart Sutcliffe's words to a former Liverpool girlfriend, Sheila, have been put to music by Dean Johnson.  Here's the link:

Dean Johnson - Sheila

The lyrics to “Sheila” read, in part, “Shall sorrow lean her drooping head, to touch with your dark lightly tread, a flower shrinks from cold and rain, but bright new sun cheeks cheer again.”

“The prose is very poetic with the influence of Keats or Byron, the great English romantics. It’s interesting that the level of sophistication is way ahead of early Lennon and McCartney,” Johnson says.

Sheila Garbe, a former girlfriend of a teenage Stuart Sutcliffe, the Beatles’ original bass guitarist, went to the valuation with a large collection of his letters, some of which are nine pages long and could be worth more than £1,000. Mrs Garbe, 67, of Halewood Village, had a relationship with him after meeting him when she worked at Vernon’s Pools.  Stuart was studying at the Liverpool College of Art.

She said: “Stuart wrote me love letters which also contain poems for me.
“They are very personal and the valuer has been the first person who’s ever read them apart form me, so it has been a bit strange.”

(paintiing by twistsofine)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:14:49 PM by stuartblogtumblr »

Bobber

Re: Stuart's Poetry Put to Music
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »

That's pretty good! Love it.

Bobber

Re: Stuart's Poetry Put to Music
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »

Certainly worth a listen. Or two. ;)

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 39 queries.