Beatles forums > Films, TV Shows, Interviews

BBC 2 Arena: "The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour Revisited" documentary

<< < (3/3)

cubanheel:
I watched this when it was on BBC, and really enjoyed it. Does anyone else think that the balance of 'arty/creative/cutting edge Beatle' is swinging subtly in Paul's favour with every passing year? Just struck me watching this that Paul's image was shifting slightly.
 I also loved seeing John and George really getting into the sing-alongs on the coach! Bit drunk? Stoned? Tired? or just enjoying the moment?
They showed MMT straight afterwards, but I taped it and went to bed and still haven't got round to watching. I always feel MMT is better in snippets than altogether. Maybe it's just me...

IthinkIdisagree:

--- Quote from: cubanheel on October 20, 2012, 06:29:04 PM ---I watched this when it was on BBC, and really enjoyed it. Does anyone else think that the balance of 'arty/creative/cutting edge Beatle' is swinging subtly in Paul's favour with every passing year? Just struck me watching this that Paul's image was shifting slightly.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I noticed that too, but then again I've always had that impression with, let's say, immediate post-Epstein period. I really do think that PM did try to take control after his death (summer '67) and that MMT was very much his idea..certainly that comes through very strongly on the documentary, but then again we don't really get JL's take on it. Maybe he was already quite 'absorbed' by YO at this point?

Kevin:

--- Quote from: IthinkIdisagree on October 22, 2012, 07:21:46 AM ---Yes, I noticed that too, but then again I've always had that impression with, let's say, immediate post-Epstein period. I really do think that PM did try to take control after his death (summer '67) and that MMT was very much his idea..certainly that comes through very strongly on the documentary, but then again we don't really get JL's take on it. Maybe he was already quite 'absorbed' by YO at this point?

--- End quote ---

Methinks "trying to take control" is a bit harsh.
Post touring The Beatles needed something to do, and Paul was the one bursting with ideas. John was sat at home eating acid sandwhiches and George was busy reinventing himself as the second Krishna.
I'm sure if John had shown up at a Beatle meeting late 67 and said "I've got a great idea - let's all sit in bags, post acorns to everyone and release a record of a my dead babies heart beat" it would have been given due consideration next to Pauls comparatively mundane suggestion of "let's make a movie."
It was a no brainer really.

IthinkIdisagree:

--- Quote from: Kevin on October 22, 2012, 11:36:12 AM ---Methinks "trying to take control" is a bit harsh.
Post touring The Beatles needed something to do, and Paul was the one bursting with ideas. John was sat at home eating acid sandwhiches and George was busy reinventing himself as the second Krishna.

--- End quote ---

Exactly my point! Ok perhaps not trying to take control but try and keep things going artistically in the face of suddenly having no manager, despite SPLHCB more or less dominating everything else musically.
Quite rightthat PM was having a lot of ideas as he says in the docu (also thanks to a few acid cupcakes!)
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version