Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Who should become the next US president?  (Read 63542 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Who should become the next US president?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »

I'm wondering how long it will be before Edwards starts pulling into the lead, once the novelty of a black man, and a woman has worn off.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »

As chris rock said last night on UK TV...'Bush must have messed things up real bad that we got a black man & a woman in the running.' lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »

Answering the McCain question-- he started strong last time, offering a moderate or compromise view that was appealing to many Americans. But he got crushed by his party because he wasn't playing ball. They withdrew support, ran false ads, the works (same thing they do to the democratic candidates). So a tame McCain revised his opinions to suck up to the (then) powers that be, in hopes to not end his political career.

The Democrats are always like herding cats; that's why "divide and conquer" works so well on them. They tend to be more thoughtful and independent. The Republicans are your power block; you're with us or against us, and if the latter, then you're all the way out.

That's why, even though I think McCain isn't a bad person, he caved before and he will cave again to the tyranny of his party. He can't be trusted, because he runs with jackals, literally back-room politicians who decide everything. I'm sick of a powerless puppet figurehead.

As far as smarts, all our contenders are smarter than Bush. That's a pretty low bar, but a reaction is understandable. Hilary did appeal to me for her keen intelligence and experience, but she's been running a very dirty campaign. In Iowa, a series of push-polls went out to voters ("Would you vote for Obama if you knew he was raised in a terrorist camp?" that sort of thing)-- to all the toprunners except Clinton. My, I wonder who was behind that?  ::) My sister reports people following Edwards volunteers around and taking their literature off the door to leave their own handouts (saves finding the sympathetic base on your own). Just dirty pool. From an experienced politician like Clinton, I expect she knows these tactics are successful. But I'm sick of corruption. I want someone more upright, not just another brand of sleaze.

I also see Clinton as too willing to compromise. As has been pointed out with Bill's administration, he saved his "campaign promises" to fight pollution, enact social advances, etc. until the end of his term, so he wouldn't offend his corporate buddies. Then the new administration came in and repealed all of them. So Bill could pretend he acted in good faith, while he was just another one snacking at the executive feed trough. I don't expect Mrs. Bill to be any different. I want change, not a new flavor of more of the same.

Obama talks well, but I'm not sure he has the spine to pull off actual change. I would hope he'd get a lot of excellent support from people who are eager to see him succeed. It could be good. But I think for a real hard-line stance against the corporate interests who are poisoning our government, I'd back up Edwards. Obama is inspirational; Edwards is p*ssed.  ;D I'm p*ssed. We're a match made in heaven!

Seriously, either of these guys would be great, and a vast improvement (need I say) over the dangerous outlaws we have now. I don't worry so much about the Democrat selections. What I worry about is a third party (which we desperately need) coming in and splitting the vote, a la Ross Perot. Many people (myself included) are hideously disappointed with the Democrats -- they are such wimps! So populist voters could easily be seduced into making a different choice-- and that would leave the old power-block Republicans in place, which is what keeps getting them in. I don't see them abandoning their winning formula now.

I can hope the Democrats start to act as if they have conviction -- as presidential candidate Chris Dodd did when he left his Iowa campaign to lead (successfully) a filibuster in Congress. At stake was a controversial measure that would give special legal protections to the telecom industry-- prevent them from being investigated for unlawful spying (another in-advance pardon, folks), and renew no-acccountability government spying powers. I mean, hello! Yes, this is the kind of action free citizens want. I wish they would realize that people want this behavior and would support them more for doing it.

Quote from: 15
As chris rock said last night on UK TV...'Bush must have messed things up real bad that we got a black man & a woman in the running.' lol
Love it! Chris rocks! :D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2008, 06:26:29 PM »

I still think Ringo has a good chance.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2008, 08:05:36 AM »

Thank you, harihead! That was fascinating, if a little depressing as well! ;D
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2008, 04:43:44 AM »

welcome to reality
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »

George Bush. He has shown he has the right stuff, and is the kind of man we all need for these times of troubles. Besides, he's always been a good boy, and has trouble keeping friends.

Signed, Barbara Bush
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »

Popularity polls over here in the Netherlands tell that Hillary is our #1, followed closely by Obama. Nevertheless, when asked who the Dutch expect to be the next president, Obama won.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2008, 05:24:10 AM »

Quote from: 216
I'd like to know what people think of Giuliani. What he did for NYC was amazing. I mean, if you were there in the 70's and 80's, it was a real crap hole. Now it's like Disney. The guy can get things done and he's pretty liberal for a republican. I still haven't made my mind up one way or the other though. I'm trying not to let the fellow New Yorker Italian thing bias me, but you know.  ;)

Giuliani is the true Bush/Cheney heir, peddling fear being his strongest suit.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

bobbydylanlover

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:37 AM »

I would hope Ron Paul
He actually has some sense..

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2008, 05:57:13 PM »

I like Mitt Romney, he's the smartest one out there.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

BlueMeanie

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »

Quote from: 483
I'm wondering how long it will be before Edwards starts pulling into the lead, once the novelty of a black man, and a woman has worn off.

What a smart arse I am then! ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »

According to the news this morning Obama is Irish well at least part of him is , His Great Great Great Grandfather came from Moneygall :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:05 AM »

I hope Obama will win. He seems like a smart, reliable, decent and reasonable man.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »

Quote from: 56
I hope Obama will win. He seems like a smart, reliable, decent and reasonable man.

Oh please. He's a politician! ;)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 04:57:24 AM »

Reposting the link here because it's such a great song:

Yes, We Can! - Si, Se Puede!

The "Yes We Can" song is a great song. Play it and cry. Here's a link to the song & video, featuring a star cast, by Will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas. Inspired by Barack Obama's 'Yes We Can' speech.

http://www.yeswecansong.com

http://www.barackobama.com/
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »

Quote from: 483

Oh please. He's a politician! ;)

I meant smart, reliable, decent and reasonable for a politician.  ;)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »

We had a little political discussion in class today and this one girl said something that made everybody go  :o  :-/

She said that O'Bama wasn't going to get elected because 1. He's black 2. He'll get assassinated because he's black and 3. His name is too close to Osama.

:-/ Yikes

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »

I think this person is voicing a lot of the common fears. A friend recently saw Obama speak and she reported she was relieved to see that he was very well guarded. Still, when a very charasmatic individual emerges, you always have the danger of some fool trying to off him or her.

As far as the "he's black" and "his name sounds like", there are plenty of dead-ignorant Americans to whom this will make a difference. Our election process often shows off the intelligence of our great nation to the rest of the world, and we haven't been holding up too well in that regard.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »

Quote from: 682
We had a little political discussion in class today and this one girl said something that made everybody go  :o  :-/

She said that O'Bama wasn't going to get elected because 1. He's black 2. He'll get assassinated because he's black and 3. His name is too close to Osama.

:-/ Yikes

That's actually pretty observant. An awful lot of people will not vote for him because he's black.

Clinton and Obama both have a different but absolutely equal advantage and disadvantage. Some people will vote for Obama because he's not female, some will vote for Clinton because she's not black.

Get used to saying 'President McCain'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 83 queries.