Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Abbey Road Is The Jewel In The Beatles Crown ?  (Read 17048 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Abbey Road Is The Jewel In The Beatles Crown ?
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »

Abbey Road is the Jewel in The Beatles Crown ?
Even though it's not my favourite Beatles album , it's pretty much the "Blueprint" for the modern Pop/Rock album ?
(thumbsup)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: Abbey Road Is The Jewel In The Beatles Crown ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:23:46 PM »

yup I gotta admit. The White Album and Abbey Road are my favourites albums of all time. Abbey have some "lame" songs, but I think it's their most famous album or at least their most iconic.

LONG LIVE ABBEY ROAD ALBUM/STREET/STUDIO (cool2)

Venus

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:52:58 PM »

not that keen on some songs on Abbey Road!
However,  I would say The White Album is the second greatest record ever made...after Physical Graffiti (flower)
.<br />+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »

I think I'd go with Rubber Soul or Revolver because the songwriting is sharper. Abbey Road owes more to professionalism than inspiration, I think, although the medley of song fragments on side two is a great example of what experience and professionalism can do for you.  :)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »

Agree with Geoff 100%.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »

Quote from: 1161
I think I'd go with Rubber Soul or Revolver because the songwriting is sharper. Abbey Road owes more to professionalism than inspiration, I think, although the medley of song fragments on side two is a great example of what experience and professionalism can do for you.  :)

Agree about the sharper songwriting on Rubber Soul and Revolver .
But i think a lot of successful albums that have come after Abbey Road have followed it's loser structure ?
What i mean by this is the flow of the album , it's not full of 3 minute songs .
It's bigger and bolder , and for me points the way to how albums would develop in the following years after it's release .
(smile)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »

Quote from: 971
But i think a lot of successful albums that have come after Abbey Road have followed it's loser structure ?
What i mean by this is the flow of the album , it's not full of 3 minute songs .
It's bigger and bolder , and for me points the way to how albums would develop in the following years after it's release .
(smile)

I think I know what you mean, and in fact that "looser structure," both in terms of song structure and album making, was very typical of "rock" through the mid seventies. As a guy who got interested in rock and pop through people like The Ramones and The Jam, though, I like crisp three minute songs that move.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

I hear this looser structure a lot Geoff in the music i listen to from the Verve to Coldplay .
Quite a lot of the big albums of the last 40 years have followed this template if you think about it .
Abbey Road is a very modern sounding album to my hears , it makes a lot of other albums sound familiar if that makes sense ? (thinker)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »

I hear this looser structure a lot Geoff in the music i listen to from the Verve to Coldplay .

That's certainly true. Both those bands have put out some good stuff, so maybe it's just my boredom with mid seventies stadium rock that gets in the way. Also agree with your point about Abbey Road pointing the way to the future.  :)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »

Quote from: 1161

That's certainly true. Both those bands have put out some good stuff, so maybe it's just my boredom with mid seventies stadium rock that gets in the way. Also agree with your point about Abbey Road pointing the way to the future.  :)

I think what i'm saying Geoff is that Abbey Road is still very much an influential album , it's structure is the template a lot of bands opt for when recording an album ?

Lyrically_N_Gaged

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »

No one would say Sgt. Pepper?

I don't know about it being the jewel..but I believe it most defines the Beatles.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »

Abbey Road is not their best album, but it is certainly one of their most influential. You can see it even today.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 01:32:31 AM »

Abbey Road is the Jewel in The Beatles Crown ?

I'll say yes, but I'm also biased because "Abbey Road" is my favorite Beatles album.  But I also think we can't ignore "Sgt. Pepper." ;)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 11:20:42 AM »

Some albums i think have got an Abbey Road feel about them , i think all these albums have a similar structure to Abbey Road  ?

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Phil Collins - Face Value

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »

Quote from: 1620

I'll say yes, but I'm also biased because "Abbey Road" is my favorite Beatles album.  But I also think we can't ignore "Sgt. Pepper." ;)

Penny Lane, I like what you posted, but even more to the point, I LOVE your moving picture avatar of Paul screaming (Shea?). His screams are one of the things I like the most about the Beatles, trivial as that sounds as I type it.  Clarabella, Lucille,  Long Tall Sally, Kansas City, the scream leading into the guitar solo of "Can't Buy Me Love", I'm Down (is that what he's singing in your Avatar?), even the electric version of Revolution (though it seems to be double tracked, so it's not quite as impressive, perhaps) - his screams make those some of my favorite recordings in the world!

Thanks!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »

Okay, why can't the crown have many jewels? Abbey Road, Pepper, Revolver and Rubber Soul are all jewels. Rubber Soul is the diamond, though, in my humble opinion.
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 06:35:29 AM »

Quote from: 568
Penny Lane, I like what you posted, but even more to the point, I LOVE your moving picture avatar of Paul screaming (Shea?). His screams are one of the things I like the most about the Beatles, trivial as that sounds as I type it.  Clarabella, Lucille,  Long Tall Sally, Kansas City, the scream leading into the guitar solo of "Can't Buy Me Love", I'm Down (is that what he's singing in your Avatar?), even the electric version of Revolution (though it seems to be double tracked, so it's not quite as impressive, perhaps) - his screams make those some of my favorite recordings in the world!

Wow, thanks for the really nice words about my Paul avatar!  I don't think your love for Paul's screaming is "trivial," because I adore it too.  It really works well for his rock songs, like "Long Tall Sally" and "Soily" from Wings.  I don't know why but I just love it when Paul cuts loose with his screaming. ;)

Swine

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »

im not too sure about this jewel actually. but maybe i like crowns without jewels. abbey road has some very bright highlights, but some downs as well. i dont think the album was an example for years and bands to come.
[size=18]LIFE IS GETTING WORSE[/size]

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »

^^^^^^^Oh.............so "Swine" is doing some thoughful thinking tonight instead of "laying in the mire of mud".......

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 05:51:43 AM »

Quote from: 1789
abbey road has some very bright highlights, but some downs as well.

What, in your opinion, are the "downs" on the album?  (Just curious!  :) )

I have mixed feelings about "I Want You (She's So Heavy)."  Sometimes I enjoy it because it lulls me into sort of a trance, but sometimes I think it's too long and dull for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 90 queries.