Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wings 1974 Session in the Studio  (Read 1957 times)

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Wings 1974 Session in the Studio
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:31:21 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnTmWJ5qYjs&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnTmWJ5qYjs&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
Re: Wings 1974 Session in the Studio
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:32:08 AM »

Wow, that's really cool!

Paul looks half asleep, though. LOL!

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »

Interesting. What's the source of this, Dirk?

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

An extremely rare video recording (actually 8mm with sound) of Paul and Linda McCartney when they recorded in Nashville TN for two weeks in 1974. I was blessed to be the the recording engineer for these sessions. I have to credit the late Gil Gillam for the photography. The picture quality is not great but it's the only visual record of this event.

No idea

Ahme

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:02:41 AM »

Paul McCartney and his band Wings was in Nashville to record and rehearse. That was in 1974, and they stayed at Junior's Farm in Wilson County.

Some of the world's greatest song writers are tucked away in the hills of Tennessee including Curly Putman, Junior. Putman bought the farm after he hit it big with songs like "Green, Green Grass of Home".

He has entertained guests over the years, but none like the ones producer Buddy Killen wanted to host in 1974.

"Killer said, 'Curly why don't you let them use your farm. He kind of grinned when said it and being the sweet talker that he was he talked me in to letting them rent our place,'" according to Putnam.

It turned out to be McCartney and his band. McCartney and his entourage moved into the house and on to the farm for six weeks in the summer of 1974.

Putman said there was a trail bike on the farm and McCartney enjoyed riding it.

"We came back. Paul had found it and drove it all over Wilson County, around Lebanon. So they really enjoyed it here," said Putnam.

McCartney enjoyed it so much he bought his own. Putman took his family to Hawaii during McCartney's stay, but got to meet him before and after the trip.

"They practiced over there where that piano is, kind of like a little stage area where that piano is," said Putnam.

It was a converted two car garage that now houses Putman's pool table, awards and music memorabilia.

For McCartney the stay at Junior's farm was supposed to be rehearsal time for a U.S. tour, but McCartney not only tapped into Nashville's hospitality, but the talent as well.

Audio Engineer Ernie Winfrey remembers McCartney. Winfrey is now retired. In 1974 he was working for Sound Shop in Nashville. He was working in the studio one night with Killen.

"I was a little astonished to see Paul McCartney walk into the studio just out of the clear. I didn't even know about it," said Winfrey.

The audio engineer was just 32-years-old when he had to record McCartney's vision.

"Everything was very calm, laid back. Nobody was in a hurry to do much, because he wanted to do it right, to take his time and do it right," said Winfrey.

He said it was laid back, but McCartney was totally in charge of his music. They worked on seven songs including "Sally G." and of course "Junior's Farm."

Now, a video dub of an 8mm sound film has emerged. According to Winfrey, who published the video on YouTube, "When Juniors Farm was playing we were in the control room listening to playback. I know this because the door into the studio was open. When Sally G was playing in the control room we were either tracking or overdubbing...I don't recall which.

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »

Great info.

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 49 queries.