Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - What You're Doing  (Read 21703 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Song Of The Week - What You're Doing
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »

But if you take A Hard Days Night as an aberration - a special project brought about by the movie - then Beatles For Sale is in the same tried and true format of the previous albums. At the time of With The Beatles they had songs coming out of their ears - they were giving the things away - but still released an album half full of covers.
So it may well be that they were just returning to their normal format and were not driven by a lack of originals. It's just how they made "normal" Beatle albums in those days.

That's a good point.  And even in the next album they finished with Dizzy Miss Lizzy. Which was like they were going back to the screaming Lennon cover finish from PPM and WTB.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 09:40:07 PM »

I like your last point MM - most of side 2 of Help seems more 'outdated' than the covers on BFS.

I mean...Dizzy Miss Lizzy? You gotta be kidding me. Is the reason it's the final song is because they knew people would turn it off after Yesterday?  Lol

My take on this is that they very much enjoyed covering songs that they admired, they had spent years playing tons of covers ans obviously had fun playing/singing them, maybe an album of all originals in the early days seemed a tad boring to them.

I think they handpicked certain favourites and wanted to record them.

In its day Dizzy Miss Lizzy was superb, we all loved it at college, it didnt matter it wasnt theirs.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

KelMar

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2015, 09:50:23 PM »

In its day Dizzy Miss Lizzy was superb, we all loved it at college, it didnt matter it wasnt theirs.

Lots of John screams in that one. I love those! Oww!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:36 AM »

I'll have to give that one a listen again! It's one of the very few songs I almost always skip.

KelMar

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2015, 04:30:48 AM »

I'll have to give that one a listen again! It's one of the very few songs I almost always skip.

It really is a worth another try Kathy. I agree that it's kind of out of place on HELP! but it really is a great cover. The original by Larry Williams is really cool too, IMO.

http://youtu.be/pgYWvMJjFBg

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »

I always liked it! A real rocker! On Help it's out of place but in the USA we got it on Beatles VI so it fit into the last of the cover albums.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »

You guys are right; I gave the song another listen and can definitely appreciate it now. I must have been skipping it for years (tsk tsk!). Just love how John does those "Ows!" What a voice.

I like the original, too -- thanks for posting that, Kelley!

I was just thinking...back to the original thread title: I've never really cared too much for "What You're Doing," either, but now maybe I should carefully re-listen.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »

I just watched the film Whiplash about an ambitious drummer, the music school he went to demanded absolute perfection, music imo isnt always about perfection (well ok maybe classical is)  ;)

My son and I watched Whiplash and laughed at it.  Nobody is going to sit there and play anything as fast as they can for hours on end just because some teacher wants to be an a**hole.  That movie played out like an after school special.  It was way over the top.  The only positives my son and I took away from that movie was the work and practice the kid put in and the music score was nice.  We were both disappointed to say the least.

I thought it was rather accurate...I would expect that sort of stuff happening in prestigious music universities. I agree that music isn't about perfection and absolute technical proficiency, but it probably is treated like that when taught and the movie was right in portraying it like that, for better or for worse.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »

After giving it another listen back in late May, when this topic came up, I've gotten rather addicted to Dizzy Miss Lizzy. They are great vocals (in my uneducated opinion) by John.

KelMar

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »

^^^
Ooo BABY! I just love John.  icon_love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2024, 07:01:40 AM »

Let's make believe it's late 1964...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjctl4cCKHM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjctl4cCKHM</a>
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.862 seconds with 65 queries.