Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Rain  (Read 14458 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Song Of The Week - Rain
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:57:41 AM »

Maybe John was watching Singin' in the Rain when he wrote the song...

HD 1080p "Singin' in the Rain" (Title Song) 1952 ~ Gene Kelly

Don:  Good night, Kathy.  See you tomorrow.
Kathy:  Good night, Don.  Take care of that throat.  You're a big singing star now, remember?  This California dew is just a little heavier than usual tonight.
Don:  Really?  From where I stand the sun is shining all over the place.

Yes, and then John listened to "Shape Of Things" on the radio and decided to record the song he wrote in that amorphous way...
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:09 PM »

It's attained semi mythic status partly due to reasons already pointed out earlier on this thread (no appearance on early compilations or on any original album) and partly as a trailblazer for the "Revolver" sound of jangling guitars and thunderous drums.

The thing which always struck me about it was how LOUD everything was... a richly textured, powerfully mixed track but the vocals are always top of my tick list on listening to any Beatles number, and they're somewhat swamped here by admittedly spectacular layers of terrific instrumentation - again, each Beatle firing on all of their respective cylinders, with overwhelming results.

For years I thought those lyrics ran "That when it rains and shines...it's just coz they don't mind..." and only ages later twigged that Lennon was referring to a "state of mind..."

"Can you heeeaaarrrr me?"

Not too clearly John, no - there's just too much else going on!

Interested to read drummer tkitna's lukewarm response... is this really Ringo's finest hour at the kit after all?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »

Interested to read drummer tkitna's lukewarm response... is this really Ringo's finest hour at the kit after all?

Not even close.  Ringo has a ton of songs that he plays better on in my opinion, but sometimes the state of mind and mood that a persons in, plays a lot into how they feel about certain things.  Ringo felt good about this one and whatever it was during the creative process hit the right buttons for him.  I look at it by a creative and technical standpoint and to say this was Ringo's greatest effort in the Beatles just doesn't gel with me, even if he said so.  Here's my initial review of 'Rain' when I dd the microscopes-

Rain - Rain is a good song. It truly is, but it doesn’t blow me away and I think it’s a tad overrated. Sue me. Definitely sounds like it could have fit perfectly on Revolver. The guitar tone is great and the bass sounds amazing. Theres that tambourine again. Ringo’s drums sound good and we all know the story. He loved his playing on this song and thought it was the best he’s ever done. Yes he actually even played it faster while they recorded it and the song was slowed down, but I’m not that impressed. It was one of the first Beatle songs I ever learned and I didn’t think it was all that much. Whatever, good job Ritchie. Johns voice sounds fantastic. 0:33 I don’t like the background vocals. 0:49 I especially don’t like them here. John double tracked I believe. With the guitar strums and the vocals along with the pulsating bass, this section always reminded me of some Scottish tune with bagpipes for some reason. Just me I realize. 2:35 my favorite part with John singing backward vocals. Good song and I wouldn’t give anybody grief for loving it.

It really is a good song and I would never fault anybody for liking it, but it just never bowled me over for one reason or another.  I see i'm in a real minority on that opinion though.  Oh well.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:10 AM »

I think its very (relative to The Beatles, of course) obscurity has helped 'Rain's cause over the years.

I've never understood why a 60s Radio Station isn't available on the radio dial.
The principal reason for my not listening to Capital Gold and the recent shut-down of 'Absolute 60s' (a dire attempt) is that they always insist(ed) on playing, ad nauseam, the 'hits'.
A station that focused on the likes of 'Rain' and delved into the *back catalogues of all the other 60s groups I'm sure would find a healthy audience.

STOP PRESS -
Buffalo Springfield recorded more than one song. TRUE.
Them recorded more than three songs. TRUE.
It's not illegal to play L.P. tracks or songs by obscure groups like The Artwoods. TRUE.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 04:50:26 AM »

I've never understood why a 60s Radio Station isn't available on the radio dial... A station that focused on the likes of 'Rain' and delved into the *back catalogues of all the other 60s groups I'm sure would find a healthy audience.

Oh, man, I hear ya!  It's always the same ol', same ol'. There are literally thousands of fantastic tracks that never receive any airtime and it's a shame.

Your comment in general, and this thread focusing on Rain in particular bring to mind a moment from my college days waaaay back in the mid-'80s. The local "live" college radio station was soliciting on air for requests. On this particular day it was raining cats & dogs so I called in and requested they play Rain. I even told them on which LP to find it (Hey Jude). The DJ said it would be the perfect song for the day and thanked me for my request. I listened to that darn show for about three hours afterward and they never played it. My only presumption is the station did not own a copy of Hey Jude. 
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

KelMar

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »

Your comment in general, and this thread focusing on Rain in particular bring to mind a moment from my college days waaaay back in the mid-'80s.

That's when I was in college too. Sounds like the DJ knew what you were talking about but like you said he couldn't come up with it. I think you guys would enjoy Pandora radio. Once you I got it "trained" it plays some really cool stuff. I've been introduced to a lot of things I'd never heard before but now love.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:40 AM »

I think you guys would enjoy Pandora radio. Once you I got it "trained" it plays some really cool stuff. I've been introduced to a lot of things I'd never heard before but now love.

You are correct. My daughter listens to Pandora and now I have been exposed to some great music I would otherwise never have known about. 
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »

Oh, man, I hear ya!  It's always the same ol', same ol'. There are literally thousands of fantastic tracks that never receive any airtime and it's a shame.

Your comment in general, and this thread focusing on Rain in particular bring to mind a moment from my college days waaaay back in the mid-'80s. The local "live" college radio station was soliciting on air for requests. On this particular day it was raining cats & dogs so I called in and requested they play Rain. I even told them on which LP to find it (Hey Jude). The DJ said it would be the perfect song for the day and thanked me for my request. I listened to that darn show for about three hours afterward and they never played it. My only presumption is the station did not own a copy of Hey Jude.

That's me screwed. I thought the first time I heard Rain was on either rarities or past masters. But I had the Hey Jude album very early on (so early in my Beatle life that I thought it was a "normal" -albeit strange -Beatles album) and I have no recollection of Rain being on it. But it was (I can't find any reference to a dodgy Rainless NZ version). This means that the song had no impact on me whatsoever when I first heard it.  Zilch. That's a bummer. Good one brain.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:42:55 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »

Nice song, fits the period for sure.  Like others, didn't get exposure to it at same time as the rest of the catalogue

If N.A. Capitol records can be given any credit, it is for getting most of those U.K. singles onto an Album, otherwise, your right, it is a hidden gem for new Beatles fans to discover.

Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2021, 01:33:29 AM »

A fine analysis of recording Rain...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68oFp5LoL74" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68oFp5LoL74</a>
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2021, 03:48:35 PM »

A fine analysis of recording Rain...

Very interesting, and much easier to understand than some of the books I've read lately.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 11:45:09 PM »

Cool video

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2021, 03:16:11 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiY8iTRLTi0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiY8iTRLTi0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAybyd54OH8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAybyd54OH8</a>

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2021, 03:21:57 AM »

But John wasn't the first...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYdorfWNNxM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYdorfWNNxM</a>

...it was Niprut Senga in 1960.   ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2023, 05:14:58 AM »

Promo outtakes...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFd4zozNl9I" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFd4zozNl9I</a>

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 78 queries.