Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Christmas Gift to You From Phil Spector  (Read 2096 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
A Christmas Gift to You From Phil Spector
« on: December 12, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »

I think this is probably one of my favourite Christmas albums ever, and Darlene Love's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" is one of the saddest/best contemporary Christmas songs in the past 50 years or so.

It would be a perfect album if it wasn't for that creepy spoken word track by Spector himself, but well, maybe there are no perfect albums.

Anyway, thoughts?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: A Christmas Gift to You From Phil Spector
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »

I think this is probably one of my favourite Christmas albums ever, and Darlene Love's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" is one of the saddest/best contemporary Christmas songs in the past 50 years or so.

It would be a perfect album if it wasn't for that creepy spoken word track by Spector himself, but well, maybe there are no perfect albums.

Anyway, thoughts?

Hi Mairi! I LOVE THIS SONG! You can tell that this song is a PHIL SPECTOR production. DARLENE LOVE's vocals blends perfectly with the music resulting in giving the song a life of its own. Take care.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »

I have this album as part of the Back to Mono box set, but I never really cared for it. But then again, I think that Spector is immensely overrated. I like several of his songs and artists, but in some cases that's despite rather than because of his production. People like George Martin, Brian Wilson and Holland-Dozier-Holland were miles ahead of Spector.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »

I have this album as part of the Back to Mono box set, but I never really cared for it. But then again, I think that Spector is immensely overrated. I like several of his songs and artists, but in some cases that's despite rather than because of his production. People like George Martin, Brian Wilson and Holland-Dozier-Holland were miles ahead of Spector.

Hi Joost! I definitely agree with you on this one, in my opinion, both GEORGE MARTIN and BRIAN WILSON revolutionized and redefined the studio as an instrument. Both were definitely far ahead of PHIL SPECTOR. Take care.

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:03 AM »

Anyway, thoughts?

A lot of people have covered "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" but Darlene Love owns that song. I've heard most of the tracks from this album except the creepy Spector track. I think I'll pass on that one.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:36 AM »

Picked it up recently. Very enjoyable.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »

I had never heard it, but I was just gonna make a "Your favourite christmas album" kind of topic. I think I'll give it a try.  :)
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »

I had never heard it, but I was just gonna make a "Your favourite christmas album" kind of topic. I think I'll give it a try.  :)

I'm looking forward to your opinion of the song, take care.

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »

I thought 'gifts' were free  ???

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »

Hi Joost! I definitely agree with you on this one, in my opinion, both GEORGE MARTIN and BRIAN WILSON revolutionized and redefined the studio as an instrument. Both were definitely far ahead of PHIL SPECTOR. Take care.

I cant agree with you here BF, Spector had his own way of doing things, George Martin had his, theyre different, I dont see how G Martin is 'far ahead' of Spector, by Pepper George Martin just did what The Beatles told him basically although he was important in the earlier years as he introduced elements of classical music to Beatles music..

It could be said that Martin was extremely lucky to find The Beatles, he only did comedy records before that..

Spector created a sound with many artists and could manipulate musicians and the studio in a fantastic way to create something very special.
Also if Martin was way ahead of Spector why did John & George use him for their solo stuff post Beatles and use him to produce (sort out) the mess that was Let It Be ?

I just dont see how you can compare one with the other, they are different.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »

I cant agree with you here BF, Spector had his own way of doing things, George Martin had his, theyre different, I dont see how G Martin is 'far ahead' of Spector, by Pepper George Martin just did what The Beatles told him basically although he was important in the earlier years as he introduced elements of classical music to Beatles music..

It could be said that Martin was extremely lucky to find The Beatles, he only did comedy records before that..

Spector created a sound with many artists and could manipulate musicians and the studio in a fantastic way to create something very special.
Also if Martin was way ahead of Spector why did John & George use him for their solo stuff post Beatles and use him to produce (sort out) the mess that was Let It Be ?

I just dont see how you can compare one with the other, they are different.

Hi mate! All three's goals were to create the ultimate sound, all three would accomplish their goals by utilizing the studio as an instument with their own perspective and unique recording style. Spector and Martin are alike when it comes to being the musical perfectionists that they were. In my opinion, when Brian studied and learned both Spector's and Martin's recording techniques and styles, he would experiment in the studio which would result in him creating his own unique recording style.

I compare all three mate because all of them had a very special unique love and passion in what they did in the studio. Because of these three men, ALONE, they singlehandedly changed the recording industry forever by turning the recording studio into an instrument. And because of this, it showed in their work as well as their music.

All three would manipulate musicians in different ways, but their goal and results were pretty much the same, to create something special. Take care mate.       

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »

Hi BF
Yes I agree but Im curios about your statement;

Both were definitely far ahead of PHIL SPECTOR

I just dont understand why you would say that, please explain to stupid me  ;D

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »

Hi BF
Yes I agree but Im curios about your statement;

Both were definitely far ahead of PHIL SPECTOR

I just dont understand why you would say that, please explain to stupid me  ;D

Okay mate, but only on the condition that you're not stupid!  ha2ha I would say that in the early 60's, Spector was building a good reputation in the music industry for seeking the ultimate sound and finding it. The problem witrh Spector is that he always stayed with the same formula and never tried being versatile outside of his comfort zone in experimenting with other advanced studio technology.

George Martin, on the other hand, would get his ideas from THE BEATLES and translate them into music. Because THE BEATLES ideas were far advanced, George would go beyond his call of duty and explore the musical horizon at different angles which would produce magnificent results. George Martin was learning from THE BEATLES as time moved forward, he kept moving forward because of THE BEATLES. I just wished that Spector would have done the same thing in the studio and moved forward technology wise.

Brian Wilson, he really admired and respected both Spector and George Martin. Brian had visions that he really wanted to combine both of their talents together in his head and create the ultimate album. In order to accomplish this, Brian had to be a songwriter, musician, engineer, producer, arranger and a perfectionist for the ultimate sound. Little did Brian know, during the 1966-67 period, he was the greatest producer of them all. What Brian did with PET SOUNDS, GOOD VIBRATIONS and the then unreleased SMiLE, he had surpassed everything that anyone had done up to the 1966-67 period including Spector. I would also say that Brian had surpassed anything that Spector had done to date, I still wished that Spector would have explored more musically in the studio in order to keep up with the advanced recording technology during the times. In my opinion, George Martin and Brian Wilson were far ahead of their time, they would both leave Spector behind. Please don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to Spector in any way but Spector should have been moving forward with the times being the legendary producer that he was. Take care mate.                 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:20:41 AM by BeatlesForever »

Page created in 1.398 seconds with 63 queries.