Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The White Album  (Read 36261 times)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: The White Album
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »

Number nine...number nine...

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »

Number nine...number nine...

:P

They were all satan worshippers, you know   :P

Revolution 9 Backmask (backwards) by The Beatles

Spiritinthesky

• One And One Is Two
    • This Day
White Album
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »

7th Dec 1968, The Beatles 'White Album' started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK chart. The double set was the first on the Apple label and featured 'Back In The USSR', 'Dear Prudence', and the Harrison song 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps.'

Full story http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/white_album

beatlesforever12

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

i agree about the revolution 9, usually i just skip it when i listen to the album.
i don't know about the whole solo album talk, i love the album anyways

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 01:32:39 AM »

i agree about the revolution 9, usually i just skip it when i listen to the album.
i don't know about the whole solo album talk, i love the album anyways
There are a number of songs (mostly Paul's) that were recorded without he other Beatles present. Black bird, Why Don't We Do it In the Road, Julia (John), Mother Natures Son. There are several songs that arguably have 2 or 3 Beatles playing as well. A number of these songs also have them playing instruments they normally didn't play.
Interesting album to say the least!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »

Me too; it didn't even make it onto my iPod. The last thing I need is to wake up in the middle of the night to that! Welcome to the forum!

LennMcHarriStarr64

• One And One Is Two
  • Love Beatles
    • The Beatles
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 04:21:30 AM »

"Everybody's got something to hide..." is one of the most unique and powerful songs I've ever heard.  I also love Savoy Truffle.  I enjoy listening to the whole album through, but not always Revolution 9 :o

NUMBA NINE ~ NUMBA NINE ~ NUMBA NINE ~ NUMBA NINE ~~~
My YouTube Channel ~ Full Albums in High Quality!
http://www.youtube.com/user/LennMcHarriStarr64/

KelMar

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 07:16:19 AM »

"Everybody's got something to hide..." is one of the most unique and powerful songs I've ever heard.  I also love Savoy Truffle.  I enjoy listening to the whole album through, but not always Revolution 9 :o

Revolution 9 scares me! But I like Savoy Truffle, too. I was just thinking about it yesterday. After sitting through a rather complicated root canal I thought that when I go back for the second one (unfortunately) I should take my iPod. Then I thought that I'd better make sure Savoy Truffle doesn't come up!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »

Those are two of my favorite tracks as well! If you listen to EGSTHSFMAMM and What Your Doing you can hear the beginnings of the guitar style for this song only down the scale. Fun!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »

Me too; it didn't even make it onto my iPod. The last thing I need is to wake up in the middle of the night to that!

LOL that would scare the heck out of me!  ha2ha

KelMar

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »

LOL that would scare the heck out of me!  ha2ha

Yeah, that or the end of "Long, Long, Long". Gotta watch that White Album!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »

Makes me want to try a bottle of Blue Nun!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 02:32:39 AM »

I think Revolution 9 is one of those few aural soundscapes that does work. It paints an eerie picture (especially when you tie in the whole Paul death theme). But it's to music what a performance art video is to cinema. It's not something you put on to listen to casually.

Does anyone know why Long Long Long was recorded in such a subdued manner. It's a quite nice gentle song with a good middle 8. But it's barely listenable with the voice so far back.

I think it's right that overall there's too many good cuts for a solo album. But there is stuff I could live without. (Rocky Racoon, piggies, why don't we do it in the road). Still not too many good Beatles tuned went to waste. If George Martin had locked them all in the basement and released the album like he wanted I'm sure the surplus good tunes would have found their way into a later project.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »

I've been listening to sides 3 and 4 all week in my truck. I must admit I've skipped #9 and Goodnight every time!
I think Georges voice works really well down low. I also read the rattle at the end was a bottle of Blue Nun wine that was on the organ and when they hit the final notes it rattled right across the top of it. They decided to keep it in the mix. One of those interesting Beatle accidents
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 06:51:59 AM »

I also read the rattle at the end was a bottle of Blue Nun wine that was on the organ and when they hit the final notes it rattled right across the top of it. They decided to keep it in the mix. One of those interesting Beatle accidents

And here I thought it was a ghost!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 07:00:43 AM »

And here I thought it was a ghost!

And not just any ghost...

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »

The more time passes by, the more I'm ready to believe that 'White Album' is perfect as it is. Must have to do with the sequencing, everything is just so perfectly sewed together. I mean, how can you beat Back In The U.S.S.R -> Dear Prudence? Or Helter Skelter -> Long, Long, Long? Bungalow Bill -> Guitar Gently Weeps is perfect as well. And these are only the most obvious examples. Even Revolution 9 -> Good Night works in the context of the album.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »

The more time passes by, the more I'm ready to believe that 'White Album' is perfect as it is. Must have to do with the sequencing, everything is just so perfectly sewed together. I mean, how can you beat Back In The U.S.S.R -> Dear Prudence? Or Helter Skelter -> Long, Long, Long? Bungalow Bill -> Guitar Gently Weeps is perfect as well. And these are only the most obvious examples. Even Revolution 9 -> Good Night works in the context of the album.

When you were as successful as the Beatles were it seems pointless second guessing them. And as Ringo loved the White Album as there was always something going on in some studio he could contribute to, as opposed to Sgt Peppers where he learned to play chess, that's good enough for me.

KelMar

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »

And not just any ghost...

Is that the Ghost of Wonderful Christmas Times past?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 11:24:22 PM »

Is that the Ghost of Wonderful Christmas Times past?

Yep. Coming after Faul to make him repent For Mary Had a Little Lamb et al
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 77 queries.