Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper : 3 Favorite Tracks  (Read 59320 times)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Sgt. Pepper : 3 Favorite Tracks
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2004, 09:13:03 PM »

[quote by=The_Word link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=57 date=1091737210]Meh. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Just because its chorus is a bit simple doesn't necessarily mean it's filler. The verses and harmonies, IMO, make the song much more than just "filler."[/quote]

Yes, there's more to the song than just the lyrics  :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2004, 10:19:15 PM »

OK Frighty: it really boils down to this. You're more impressed with Paul than I am. Finis!

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2004, 10:41:26 PM »

Before Frightwolf asked "what exactly is filler?" I was going to ask the same thing.

To me, "filler" is a song that's simply not good. It's just lying

JPGR

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2004, 01:12:08 PM »

1. Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite
2. She's leaving home
3. Lucy in the sky with diamonds
"There's high, and there's high, and to get really high--I mean so high that you can walk on the water, that high--that's where I'm goin'."
- George Harrison, 1968 8)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2004, 04:57:59 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=61 date=1091744355]OK Frighty: it really boils down to this. You're more impressed with Paul than I am. Finis![/quote]

I'd like to know if you actually read all my arguments before you stopped, since I took the time to read everything you had to say.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2004, 05:02:49 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=62 date=1091745686]Before Frightwolf asked "what exactly is filler?" I was going to ask the same thing.

To me, "filler" is a song that's simply not good. It's just lying

Janice

• A Beginning
  • Hey, it's a thingy! A fiendish thingy!
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2004, 05:08:42 PM »

Wow, Frightwolf... nice argument on that previous page. I didn't want to get into an argument about the entire album (just "Getting Better" since it's one of my favorite songs off the album and I felt I should stick up for it...), but I completely agree with everything you said. Well put, especially on how the Beatles worked as a team--it wasn't just John and Paul on their own, "saving" each others' songs.
"I see the sun again, I ain't ever lookin' back,
All the dreams are comin' true as I think of you,
Now there's nothing in the way to stop me heading for the light."

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2004, 09:36:21 PM »

Filler? What is "filler"? It's one of those terms that everyone "knows" the meaning of, but is hard to apply in some situations. English abounds with terms like that: young, bald, intelligent -- you get the idea.

The trouble in this thread is that one person's filler is another's well-liked song. And -- people forget that all this is opinion. Adding "in my opinion", "imo" and the like is infrequent. Rightly so, as it gets boring and makes the writer look like a frightened rabbit. We all know it's opinion!

PEPPER is often classed as "over-rated" -- and in one way it is. A majority of songs are simply not top Beatle product. They are certainly well played: the musical effects on Pepper give the songs an aura and feel that is amazing. But look behind that: how good are the songs as songs? My call is that Getting Better, Leaving Home, 64, Rita are not that great.

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2004, 09:40:39 PM »

[quote by=The_Word link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=66 date=1091812122]Well put, especially on how the Beatles worked as a team--it wasn't just John and Paul on their own, "saving" each others' songs.[/quote]

One of the ways they worked as a team was by "saving" each others' songs. Two examples:

Paul suggesting to John how best to sing Lucy, when it wasn't gelling at all. Briliant Paul!

John adding "it can't get no worse" to Paul's "getting betters" in GB's chorus. John puts the sharp edge on!

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2004, 03:41:44 PM »

[quote by=The_Word link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=66 date=1091812122]Wow, Frightwolf... nice argument on that previous page. I didn't want to get into an argument about the entire album (just "Getting Better" since it's one of my favorite songs off the album and I felt I should stick up for it...), but I completely agree with everything you said. Well put, especially on how the Beatles worked as a team--it wasn't just John and Paul on their own, "saving" each others' songs.[/quote]

Thank you  :)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2004, 03:45:48 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=68 date=1091828439]

One of the ways they worked as a team was by "saving" each others' songs. Two examples:

Paul suggesting to John how best to sing Lucy, when it wasn't gelling at all. Briliant Paul!

John adding "it can't get no worse" to Paul's "getting betters" in GB's chorus. John puts the sharp edge on![/quote]

You could CALL teamwork saving each other, but the rest of us call it HELPING ONE ANOTHER. 

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2004, 03:52:04 PM »

Filler? What is "filler"? It's one of those terms that everyone "knows" the meaning of, but is hard to apply in some situations. English abounds with terms like that: young, bald, intelligent -- you get the idea.

You are absolutely right, Maria.

The trouble in this thread is that one person's filler is another's well-liked song. And -- people forget that all this is opinion. Adding "in my opinion", "imo" and the like is infrequent. Rightly so, as it gets boring and makes the writer look like a frightened rabbit. We all know it's opinion!

Actually -- not all of us know that this is opinion, so we save other people time by saying "IMO" before the "Just because you say so, it doesn't mean it's true" remark comes in.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2004, 03:59:45 PM »

If I may refer to this statement made by Maria:

If you think those three songs are three of the stronger songs on Pepper, then I think you miss the point of Beatle music.

I guess she's the only one that understands anything about the Beatles.  Everyone else who's responded to her knows nothing  :-/

Janice

• A Beginning
  • Hey, it's a thingy! A fiendish thingy!
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2004, 04:17:41 PM »

^ Yeah... you know, it's funny Maria brings up that this is all opinion we're discussing when her posts certainly don't seem that way. Personally, I've always felt that one "point" of Beatle music is that there's something for everyone--I mean, look at all of us. After browsing all these "favorite" threads, you get the feeling that we all have very different tastes in music, and yet we all have the same favorite band. We can't help our tastes in music, and it seems like Maria is insulting some of us for it.

And Frightwolf, you took the words right out of my mouth that "saving" is also known as "helping one another." :P
"I see the sun again, I ain't ever lookin' back,
All the dreams are comin' true as I think of you,
Now there's nothing in the way to stop me heading for the light."

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2004, 05:06:15 PM »

[quote by=The_Word link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=73 date=1091895461]^ Yeah... you know, it's funny Maria brings up that this is all opinion we're discussing when her posts certainly don't seem that way. Personally, I've always felt that one "point" of Beatle music is that there's something for everyone--I mean, look at all of us. After browsing all these "favorite" threads, you get the feeling that we all have very different tastes in music, and yet we all have the same favorite band. We can't help our tastes in music, and it seems like Maria is insulting some of us for it.

And Frightwolf, you took the words right out of my mouth that "saving" is also known as "helping one another." :P[/quote]

Indeed! The genres that the Beatles music cover is amazing! That's why it's odd when I hear kids my age saying that they dislike the Beatles because the music is old... the music has aged well and they did NOT cover only rockers (my guess is that they hear She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand and tune out).

Personally, I'm glad Maria knows so much about them, but she sure has odd ways of displaying it.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2004, 08:57:07 PM »

I mean, lets not all get personal on this forum.

Maria shows strong opinions and often bites at peoples remarks, which can be annoying, yet mis-interpreted.

I feel the odd remark against myself was sometimes hollow in quality, but this is a personal forum.

Lets just be adult, and talk with a mature and friendly manner/tone.

Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2004, 09:35:29 PM »

I was going to respond to all this but I decided to say just one thing. Adding "IMO" and the like IS tedious. If anyone thinks I'm trying to pass my opinions off as facts, then they're wrong.

But it's all right to be forceful ... so long as you can back it up.

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2004, 09:41:51 PM »

[quote by=Frightwolf link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=71 date=1091893924]
Are you sure you don't mean "How good are the songs lyrically?" Because that's the idea everyone debating with you is getting.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2004, 04:52:13 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=77 date=1091914911]

No - a song is its lyrics + tune. All the rest you're talking about (musical effects, style of singing etc) are an artist's interpretation of the song. On Pepper, the musical effects etc are very strong and sometimes hide a song's real character.

And yes - that's my opinion. It's also an opinion shared by many Beatle fans. Not that that makes me correct: but it certainly shows that it's not an eccentric opinion.[/quote]

An artist's interpretation of the song... it's an artist's right to interpret their song in their own way, isn't it? Adding musical effects is a way to provide their songs with character.  Your argument isn't making much sense -- a song is EVERYTHING that composes it.  Why on Earth would it be just lyrics + tune?

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2004, 04:53:33 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1081418559,s=76 date=1091914529]I was going to respond to all this but I decided to say just one thing. Adding "IMO" and the like IS tedious. If anyone thinks I'm trying to pass my opinions off as facts, then they're wrong.
[/quote]

I don't see what's so tedious about using up a second of my life spelling out IMO.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 73 queries.