Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Hey Jude  (Read 14517 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Song Of The Week - Hey Jude
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »

Yes, but I would see "Taxman" more in the vein that Kevin spoke before: a group of millionaries complaining because they have to pay taxes. But if we separate the message from the messenger, it could certainly be seen as a protest song about how powers abuse of working class people.

Yes.  Which is why I added "At least as far as The Beatles were concerned."

Now, here is some real rock political commentary...

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Ohio" (1970) Kent State University

No "look for the meaning" lyrics here.
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

No one has mentioned the great B side either, Revolution!  More value for money!

Andrés did.   :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »

Now, here is some real rock political commentary...

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Ohio" (1970) Kent State University

No "look for the meaning" lyrics here.

Probably my favorite CSN&Y song, and I know about the event that inspired it. And you're right, it's a direct message. The Beatles' songs usually have an universal message, not better, not worse.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »

Speaking of Kent State, there was one group who very seriously questioned and challenged the status quo after that tragedy...

DEVO: Origins - SXSW Music 2009

Considered a goof act by most, their origins do have serious underpinnings.

;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:14:38 AM by Klang »
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:18 AM »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

One of Pauls greatest songs IMO, but who is it that swears during the song ?

At 2:58 of the song, someone can allegedly be heard to say, "f***ing hell!" There is some dispute as to who said this, and whether it was really exclaimed at all. Sound engineers Ken Scott and Geoff Emerick claim the exclamation came from McCartney, and that it was Lennon's idea to leave the mistake in the final mix. "'Paul hit a clunker on the piano and said a naughty word,' Lennon gleefully crowed, 'but I insisted we leave it in, buried just low enough so that it can barely be heard. Most people won't ever spot it...but we'll know it's there.'" However, in the book Recording the Beatles, engineer Malcolm Toft recalls, "Barry Sheffield engineered 'Hey Jude', but I mixed it... John Lennon says a very rude word about halfway through the song. At 2:59 you will hear a 'Whoa!' from him in the background. About two seconds later you will hear, 'f***ing hell!' This was because when he was doing a vocal backing, Barry sent him the foldback level [headphone volume] too loud and he threw the cans on the ground and uttered the expletive. But, because it had been bounced down [mixed] with the main vocal, it could not be removed. I just managed to bring the fader down for a split second on the mix to try to lessen the effect." Others argue that the voice is Ringo Starr's.

Although McCartney originally wrote the song for Julian Lennon, John Lennon thought it had actually been written for him:
But I always heard it as a song to me. If you think about it... Yoko's just come into the picture. He's saying. 'Hey, Jude—Hey, John.' I know I'm sounding like one of those fans who reads things into it, but you can hear it as a song to me ... Subconsciously, he was saying, Go ahead, leave me. On a conscious level, he didn't want me to go ahead.

Other people believed McCartney wrote the song about them, including Judith Simons, a journalist with the Daily Express.
Still others, including John Lennon, have speculated that McCartney's failing long-term relationship with Jane Asher when he wrote "Hey Jude" was an unconscious "message to himself." In fact, when Lennon mentioned that he thought the song was about him, McCartney denied it, and told Lennon he had written the song about himself.
Writer Mark Hertsgaard noted "many of the song's lyrics do seem directed more at a grown man on the verge of a powerful new love, especially the lines 'you have found her now go and get her' and 'you're waiting for someone to perform with.'" Tim Riley wrote, "If the song is about self-worth and self-consolation in the face of hardship, the vocal performance itself conveys much of the journey. He begins by singing to comfort someone else, finds himself weighing his own feelings in the process, and finally, in the repeated refrains that nurture his own approbation, he comes to believe in himself."
McCartney changed the title to "Hey Jude" because the name Jude was easier to sing than Jules.
Much as he did with "Yesterday", McCartney played the song for other musicians and friends. Ron Griffith of Badfinger (known at this time as the Iveys, and the first band to join the Beatles-owned record label Apple Records), recalled that on their first day in the studio, "Paul walked over to the grand piano and said, 'Hey lads, have a listen', and he sat down and gave us a full concert rendition of 'Hey Jude'. We were gobsmacked."
When McCartney introduced Lennon to his new composition, he came to "the movement you need is on your shoulder" and told Lennon "I'll fix that bit." Lennon asked why, and McCartney answered "...it's a stupid expression; it sounds like a parrot." Lennon parried with "You won't, you know. That's the best line in the song." McCartney thus left the line in, and later said "...when I play that song, that's the line when I think of John, and sometimes I get a little emotional during that moment."

Personnel

Paul McCartney – lead vocal, piano, bass
John Lennon – backing vocal, acoustic guitar
George Harrison – backing vocal, electric guitar
Ringo Starr – backing vocal, drums, tambourine
Uncredited – 10 violins, three violas, three cellos, two double basses, two flutes, two clarinets, one bass clarinet, one bassoon, one contrabassoon, four trumpets, two horns, four trombones, and one percussion instrument.

Personnel per Ian MacDonald and Mark Lewisohn.
Has there been any discussion about who plays bass? In the video it shows george playing the Fender bass VI but for all I know they could be miming for the film. On the White Album, George plays bass on a number of tracks so it could be him!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

Sorry, my bad... ;D

Ça ne fait rien.   ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 04:59:51 AM »

It's back.  And in FULL HD...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA&amp;list=PLmo4pBukfRoN8SB5RKvfiY9CTl9pI_IFc&amp;index=16" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA&amp;list=PLmo4pBukfRoN8SB5RKvfiY9CTl9pI_IFc&amp;index=16</a>

icon_good

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »

It's back.  And in FULL HD...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA&amp;list=PLmo4pBukfRoN8SB5RKvfiY9CTl9pI_IFc&amp;index=16" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA&amp;list=PLmo4pBukfRoN8SB5RKvfiY9CTl9pI_IFc&amp;index=16</a>

icon_good

partypeople cheer1
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »

If I were to choose a Beatles song to suggest to someone who's never heard anything by them or that would sum up what they were all about, I'd pick 'Hey Jude' without a doubt.

rereading all the posts in this topic has me wondering what everybody would say along the lines of the great quote above?  What Beatles song would you recommend to someone that never been exposed to them?

I know it is off topic, maybe discussed before, but a brilliant topic on its own.

As I began to think about my answer, I ran through a listing of songs, dismissing some for being too "one person", dismissing some epic and favorites, and arrived at something pre-Pepper, something that wasn't too early and cute (not saying I don't love the early stuff as much), something that bridged early and late ...came up with a forgotten (sometimes by me) favorite that I think represents a lot of greatness about the Beatles, Ticket to Ride.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 12:02:47 AM »

rereading all the posts in this topic has me wondering what everybody would say along the lines of the great quote above?  What Beatles song would you recommend to someone that never been exposed to them?

I know it is off topic, maybe discussed before, but a brilliant topic on its own.

As I began to think about my answer, I ran through a listing of songs, dismissing some for being too "one person", dismissing some epic and favorites, and arrived at something pre-Pepper, something that wasn't too early and cute (not saying I don't love the early stuff as much), something that bridged early and late ...came up with a forgotten (sometimes by me) favorite that I think represents a lot of greatness about the Beatles, Ticket to Ride.

I'd go for the song that really changed music in a big way.

A really vibrant song that had Lennon & Macca belting out their lines and Ringo hammering the drums, my pick would be 'She Loves You' 
Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeahhhhh..
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 12:35:01 AM »

I think Ticket to Ride is a good choice. Uptempo but with lots of interesting bits in it.

Hard to pick one. Maybe We Can Work it Out. It showcases both Paul and John and harmonies. Has that light and dark aspect.

Other ones I might try could be Help or All My Loving.

KelMar

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 01:00:30 AM »

What Beatles song would you recommend to someone that never been exposed to them?

For me, this is almost impossible to answer, due to the way they evolved as a band. If I were simply trying to convince someone to become a fan, I would look at the kind of music they normally liked, then match up that up to one of the band’s phases. Then I would pick a song!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 05:09:42 AM »

Hard to pick one. Maybe We Can Work it Out. It showcases both Paul and John and harmonies. Has that light and dark aspect.

Well put, Moog.

We Can Work It Out is also back...and in FULL HD. 

Hey Jude is in color.  We Can Work It Out is in black and white...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyclqo_AV2M" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyclqo_AV2M</a>

icon_good

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »

I really like We Can Work It Out (in black & white) but George and Ringo look terminally bored and disinterested, George even sits down.

They look bored in Hey Jude as well, so does John
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 12:53:40 AM »

I really like We Can Work It Out (in black & white) but George and Ringo look terminally bored and disinterested, George even sits down.

They look bored in Hey Jude as well, so does John

They do don’t they  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 01:09:39 AM »

They filmed several videos for Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out in their black and Shea Stadium suits that day.  George and Ringo were more animated in the Day Tripper videos...

I guess by the time they filmed the video I posted, George had to sit down and Ringo was tired of lip-synching his drums.  ;D

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2021, 01:11:52 AM »

Looks like Ringo preferred Carpentry  ha2ha

Wonder if he took his tools to RishiKesh ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 1.164 seconds with 87 queries.