Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A breakdown of Lennon's 11 (!) Greatest hits albums  (Read 1043 times)

dbone828

• A Beginning
A breakdown of Lennon's 11 (!) Greatest hits albums
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »

With the release of the new simultaneously-released compilations Power to the People: The Hits and Gimme Some Truth, the total number of John Lennon greatest hits albums that have been released comes to 11. That doesn't include compilations of previously-unreleased material Menlove Ave., Anthology, Wonsaponatime or Acoustic. Just the flat-out re-assemblage of already-available-to-buy material.

Shaved Fish (1975)
The John Lennon Collection (1982)
Imagine: John Lennon (soundtrack) (1988)
Lennon (4 disc box set) (1990)
Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon (1997)
Instant-Karma: All-Time Greatest Hits (3 disc budget box set) (2002)
Peace, Love & Truth (Asian/Australian markets only) (2005)
Working Class Hero: The Definitive Lennon (2 disc set) (2005)
The U.S. vs. John Lennon (soundtrack) (2006)
Gimme Some Truth (4 disc box set) (2010)
Power to the People: The Hits (2010)

Yep. Eleven. Only one of which was released during Lennon's lifetime.

That got me wondering...which songs have made the most appearances on these greatest hits albums? Over 100 songs have appeared on at least one best-of album...which is quite a lot for the short solo career Lennon had.

Give Peace a Chance
Imagine

Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)

Mind Games
Power to the People

#9 Dream
(Just Like) Starting Over
Cold Turkey
Jealous Guy
Stand by Me
Whatever Gets You Thru the Night
Woman

Love
Mother
Watching the Wheels

Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
Gimme Some Truth
Nobody Told Me

God
New York City
Woman Is the N***** of the World
Working Class Hero

Bless You
Borrowed Time
I'm Losing You
Oh My Love
Scared

Ain't That a Shame
Come Together
Do You Wanna Dance
Grow Old with Me
Hold On
Hound Dog
How Do You Sleep?
How?
I Don't Wanna Face It
I Don't Want to Be a Soldier
I Found Out
I'm Stepping Out
Intuition
Isolation
Just Because
Nobody Loves You (When You're Down and Out)
Oh Yoko!
Out the Blue
Real Love
Slippin' and Slidin'
Sweet Little Sixteen
Well Well Well

Angel Baby
Be-Bop-A-Lula
Blue Suede Shoes
Cleanup Time
Crippled Inside
Dear Yoko
Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Here We Go Again
It's So Hard
John Sinclair
Look at Me
My Mummy's Dead
Old Dirt Road
Peggy Sue
Remember
Rip It Up/Ready Teddy
Steel and Glass
Surprise, Surprise (Sweet Bird of Paradox)
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Well (Baby Please Don't Go)
Yer Blues
You Are Here
You Can't Catch Me

(Forgive Me) My Little Flower Princess
A Day in the Life
Aisumasen (I'm Sorry)
Attica State
Bed Peace
Beef Jerky
Boney Moronie
Bring It On Home to Me/Send Me Some Lovin'
Bring on the Lucie (Freeda People)
Don't Let Me Down
Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him
Going Down on Love
Help Me to Help Myself
Help!
I Saw Her Standing There
In My Life
Julia
Listen the Snow Is Falling
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Meat City
Money
Move Over Ms. L.
One Day (At a Time)
Only People
Revolution
Strawberry Fields Forever
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Tight A$
Twist and Shout
What You Got
Ya Ya

After looking at that list, there are a few disappointing things I discover (at least for me):
The over-representation of cover songs. This is mostly thanks to the three box sets (Lennon, Instant Karma and Gimme Some Truth), two of which have "roots"-themed discs.  But as you can see there are a number of covers that appear on 3 greatest hits albums, even though they might not necessarily stand out among Lennon's solo career.  I think a Beatles-themed disc would be more appropriate than a roots-themed disc. As we can see (with the two soundtrack albums), Beatles recordings have appeared on Lennon compilations.

But Beatles songs aren't really what's lacking in this tally.  It's the great album cuts:
"Remember" (2)
"Steel and Glass" (2)
"Bring on the Lucie (Freeda People)" (1)
"Only People" (1)

Seriously, does Yoko absolutely hate the Mind Games album? The latter two songs I mentioned stand out to me as songs that should be included on any 2-disc Lennon compilation, yet have been skimped to one comp apiece. Or perhaps Yoko doesn't seem to realize what the great songs from Mind Games are, since "You Are Here" has appeared on 2 sets so far (or perhaps I am alone in this thought).

Also, it somewhat surprises me that the single "I'm Steppin' Out" has only appeared on 3 of Lennon's 11 greatest hits albums.

And what's so great about 4-timer "Scared"?

Mind you, these are all minor complaints. Perhaps I am getting picky because I am annoyed at the large number of greatest hits albums, and that Lennon has already fallen into the same category as Elvis Presley, having more greatest hits albums than studio albums. It cheapens him.

I'm actually glad that the Beatles, McCartney, Harrison and Starr, have all been very minimal with the amount of greatest hits albums put out (each have only ever released 3 greatest hits albums on compact disc):

The Beatles – 1962–1966; 1967–1970; 1
Paul McCartney – Wings Greatest; All the Best!; Wingspan: Hits and History
George Harrison – The Best of George Harrison; Best of Dark Horse 1976-1989; Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison
Ringo Starr – Blast from Your Past; Starr Struck: Best of Vol. 2; Photograph: The Very Best of Ringo

Yes, I am aware that the Beatles had many more compilations out on vinyl (A Collection of Beatles Oldies; Rock 'n' Roll Music; Love Songs; Reel Music; Beatles Ballads; 20 Greatest Hits), but at least they had the decency to leave these collections in the "vault," and forget about them during the CD age.

Also, it would be hard to argue that the high number of Lennon compilations is because he has passed on. Since George Harrison's death in 2001, only one (long-awaited) career-spanning greatest hits album has been released. Since Harrison's death, six Lennon greatest hits albums have been released.

Shaved Fish (1975), Lennon's first comp, was expected.
The John Lennon Collection (1982) was a welcome comp, as it represented Double Fantasy
Lennon Legend (1997) was also welcome, as it represented Milk and Honey
You could argue that Working Class Hero was welcome, as it was his first 2CD greatest hits.
Anything
else other than that was a completely unnecessary release (especially Power to the People: The Hits, a single-disc downgrade of both Lennon Legend and The John Lennon Collection)

Thoughts?

Bobber

Re: A breakdown of Lennon's 11 (!) Greatest hits albums
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »

Really interesting. I think Yoko is trying (too) hard to keep John's name alive. I believe there is really no need to give us a new compilation on his so called greatest hits on an average of one album in three years. I don't believe it has something to do with the fact that John passed away. I think Yoko should rely more on the idea that John is alive and kicking in many people's hearts.

Page created in 2.846 seconds with 36 queries.