Beatles forums > Microscopes

Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul

<< < (2/22) > >>

Hello Goodbye:
I’m Looking Through You - I grew up with the original United States Capitol stereo LP release of Rubber Soul.  This album has the "false starts..."

Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (False Start) - From U.S. Version of Rubber Soul

The US LP has the following songs:

Side one

1. "I've Just Seen a Face"    
2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"  
3. "You Won't See Me"    
4. "Think for Yourself"  
5. "The Word"  
6. "Michelle"    

Side two

1. "It's Only Love"  
2. "Girl"    
3. "I'm Looking Through You"    
4. "In My Life"    
5. "Wait"    
6. "Run for Your Life"

It wasn't until CDs became available in 1987 that I heard the UK album format.

I've always liked this song and have played it on guitar with these "false starts."  To me they were something like a count-in for the song.  I've always liked The Beatles' clap tracks and the one in this song is no exception.  And I was happy that the microphone squeal was left in.  I'm not sure how advanced recording technology was in 1965.  Perhaps the squeal could not be eliminated or maybe The Beatles wanted it there.  The Beach Boys were leaving coughs and banter in their recorded tracks at the time too.

As much as I like this song, when I first heard "take 1" all that changed...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (Take 1)  

I prefered this bluesy version to the released version.  It's too polished to be just an early take and perhaps The Beatles considered releasing it.  I know some people like the "why tell me whys" but this version is edgy and has great guitar solos.  Paul really lets his feelings out in this version.

tkitna:
I like the first take version too. I also have the US LP and love the false start. Wish the UK record had it on it.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:
I'll put some songs from the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man album just to point out its influence on Rubber Soul.

The Bells Of Rhymney. Guitar intro and harmony vocals in "If I Needed Someone".

THE BYRDS- "THE BELLS OF RHYMNEY"

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better. Anti-love theme in "You Won't See Me" and "I'm Looking Through You".

The Byrds - I'll Feel A whole Lot Better (Remastered)

I Knew I'd Want You. Folk ballad similar to "Norwegian Wood".

The Byrds-"I Knew I'd Want You"-5/8/65

It's No Use. Intro (guitar-bass-drums) and soft rock style of "Drive My Car".

It's No Use - The Byrds (1965)

Even the album cover has a distorted effect like Rubber Soul:

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: tkitna on April 20, 2011, 04:36:01 PM ---Nowhere Man - The Beatles very last early sounding song in my opinion. This would have fit nicely on ‘AHDN’. Has always been one of my favorites too. The harmonies don’t get much better than this. The acoustic and bass together sounds awesome. The ‘La La’s’ here sound great. I dig the guitar tone. The guitar solo is fantastic. Love the high guitar note at 1:02. Sweet. Speaking of the bass earlier, man Paul really rocks on this song. Never really noticed that before. Love Pauls voice at the end too. Another great song.

--- End quote ---

Nowhere Man - I love this song too and it's one of my favorites on this album.  We, here in the United States, had to wait until June, 1966 until it was released on “Yesterday” ...and Today.  

I feel a bit differently than you do about this song, tkitna.  I feel it was one of their first new-sounding songs.  Nowhere Man had nothing to do with love.  When I first heard it in the fall of 1965, I considered it a special song and I knew we were going to soon see a very different Beatles album.  And we did.  I had to buy the 45 RPM, which had What Goes On on the B side, to supplement my US version Rubber Soul.

I liked John's solo vocal and Paul and George's back up vocals.  And I too liked George's lead guitar.  I was just old enough at the time to understand the meaning of this song.  Today I associate Nowhere Man with my transition from adolescence to young adulthood.

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: tkitna on April 20, 2011, 04:36:01 PM ---What Goes On - Ahhh, the album killer.
--- End quote ---

Well, at least it didn't kill the Capitol Rubber Soul album.  It wasn't on it.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version