Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Best Solo Career  (Read 24385 times)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Best Solo Career
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:37:23 PM »

Who's solo career do you like best?

Mine used to be George's but recently I'm obsessed with Paul's so that's who I voted for.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Wayne L.

Re: Best Solo Career
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:04:27 PM »

I voted for Paul because he has had the best solo career after the Beatles despite mostly mediocre albums with lots of hit singles & a few masterpieces.  

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 03:14:46 PM »

i think the most succesful was pauls, but i prefer john...mayb

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 12:01:31 AM »

Paulie

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 02:03:27 AM »

Nice to see Paul is winning.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 02:44:14 AM »

odd to see no ones voted for anyone else

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 08:10:37 AM »

Paul might be the only one you could have made it without The Beatles.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 08:31:56 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
Paul might be the only one you could have made it without The Beatles.
That's an interesting thought.
 1963 - Oppotunity Knocks - 2 contestants by chance from Liverpool, Paul MCCartney and John Lennon, each step up to the mike and sing a song, accompanied by their own guitar.
Who would have got through? Paul for sure, I guess. John wouldn't have had the looks/stage charisma to be a solo artist*. Songwriter yes. Sole frontman in a band without a McCartney? Again, he might have got away with it, but nothing too successful**.
Would have made a good Rolling Stone.
Paul solo - yes. Sole front man of a band - yes.
George, no and no.
Ringo - yes, as some kind of drum novelty act (The Amazing Ringo Starr and his Singing Drums!)

* F**k. Now I'm thinking Roy Orbison. I give up.
** hold that thought. If someone as personality free as Steve Winwood can front Traffic, then John could have fronted another band. (Sorry-stupid on my part)

don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »

As some of you know (hehe!) I don't know much about Paul's solo stuff. But, judging from mostly compiliation albums, I would say that John made more great music in 5+1 years than the others put together in all they did.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 02:07:14 PM »

Quote from: GreenApple
As some of you know (hehe!) I don't know much about Paul's solo stuff. But, judging from mostly compiliation albums, I would say that John made more great music in 5+1 years than the others put together in all they did.

John made only 2.5 good lp's in his solocarreer. With All Things Must Pass, George alone put 3.0 good lp's forward.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 02:15:08 PM »

Hmmmm...I'm with you to a point - I acquired ATMP recently. It's really good. Just on the subject, don't you feel I Dig Love just sounds so Lennon-esque?

Also, there's the thing that John influenced George in the Beatles' days, and A Hard Day's Write says that John was upset when George didn't mention his influence on George in his autobiography.

As for the '1/2' a good album, are you thinking of John's half of his 1980 album? Have you heard Yoko's songs on that album? I heard them years ago. Oh dear..!
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 02:20:18 PM »

Have you got a deathwish?
In my humble opinion John went from brilliant (POB) to good (imagine), mediochre (Mindgames & Walls and Bridges), bland (Rock'n'Roll) and awful (Double Fantasy).
Many, of course, disagree.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »

Hmmmm...I'm with you to a point - I acquired ATMP recently. It's really good. Just on the subject, don't you feel I Dig Love just sounds so Lennon-esque?  
All Things Must Pass was released before any other solo-album. So maybe, and with the same arguments, you could say that John sounds Harrison-esque.

Also, there's the thing that John influenced George in the Beatles' days, and A Hard Day's Write says that John was upset when George didn't mention his influence on George in his autobiography.
John was upset, of course. But I think they all influenced each other. I'm pretty sure George had an influence on John as well. John may have had an influence as a songwriter, George vice versa as a leadguitarist.

As for the '1/2' a good album, are you thinking of John's half of his 1980 album? Have you heard Yoko's songs on that album? I heard them years ago. Oh dear..!

No. It's my humble opinion that Double Fantasy is not a good album. I'm counting Plastic Ono Band as one, Imagine as two and a few songs here and there from Mind Games and Walls And Bridges as a half.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 02:23:10 PM »

That "only 2.5 good lp's " could be Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Double Fantasy, and they are great but Mind Games and Walls + Bridges are quite good too (Mind Games my favourite one).

Heart

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 03:55:22 AM »

I've heard the most of John's solo career and I really like his music. I've just recently bought Paul Mccartney, Chaos and Creation in the backyard and it's great too. Everyone from the beatles were good. I think they all added something special to the group and to me it wouldn't be the same if it was just one of them. They are better together.

Valerie Harrison

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 11:46:10 PM »

Definitely Paul. Followed by John, George and Ringo. Though I love all of their solo careers equally.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 12:01:10 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
** hold that thought. If someone as personality free as Steve Winwood can front Traffic, then John could have fronted another band. (Sorry-stupid on my part)

I agree Winwood may be personality free, but his voice sure isn't.  One of the best in rock-n-roll.  And a great player too (nice keys on Voodoo Chile).  Too bad he made so many bland records.  The 94 Traffic reunion album is pretty weak (picked it up at the pawnshop, wasn't worth it).  

It's a shame none of the Beatles was able to bond artistically in any extended collaboration with other musicians in another band setting.

I guess the exception is George and the Wilburys which had their moments.  

John fronting another band would have been really cool--I guess the only problem would have been Yoko horning in.  Only the likes of Elephant's Memory were up for that gig.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 01:12:56 AM »

I'm leaning back towards George's solo again, I just cant get enough of My Sweet Lord

JimColyer

• A Beginning
  • I wrote Save The Planet.
    • Jim Colyer
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 06:02:58 PM »

John Lennon associated himself with the peace movement, so his solo work meant something.  Paul's solo work is pointless.

The Beatles  http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=61

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 06:29:36 PM »

Just because Paul didn't have bed-ins doesn't mean he wasn't for peace. And since when should someone's music be "pointless" just because it's not overtly political?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 82 queries.