Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Singles - Paperback Writer.  (Read 6630 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Singles - Paperback Writer.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »

Not wanting to come across all Justiny or provoking talk about singles yet to come, but I had this thought on my lunchtime walk:
Paperback writer kicks off a sequence of three singles that are all very similar. On one side we have a through-the-curtains glimpse at ordinary people living their ordinary lives (with varying degrees of success), and in each case the flip side presents a hazy, counter-culture alternative: Rain's "rain or shine, I don't mind", Yellow Submarine's "we live a life of ease, everyone of us has all we need" and SFF's "nothing is real and nothing to get hung about." They do the same trick with Lady Madonna/Inner Light.
Probably more a sign of their mood than anything intentional, but they are three (four) wonderful packages of trickery and delight.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:42 PM »

Good one Kevin. I hadn't thoght about that before but now that you mention it, it really does say a lot about the dualistsic nature of the Beatles, doesn't it?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »

Funny that Paperback Writer was the first single in ages that didn't go straight to #1 and only stayed there for one or two weeks. Plus Revolver was not regarded as one of their highlights back then. Today it all changed it seems. Paperback Writer is the beginning of what seems to be a new Beatles era. Moptop time is over and it's time for serious business. That's why I do dig this song. It's like their new Love Me Do, the beginning of something. Although lately I consider Day Tripper and Paperback Writer as a tandem. PW is the better single than Rain imho, which has been overrated somewhat. Great hit potential and overall a wonderful single.
Yep...just read yours, Stevie and Bobber...could not agree more. :)

Yeah I agree with Kevin and Bobber too.  They look great and they sound great, it was definitely a transitional period but in the best sense of the word.

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 06:15:34 PM »

Yeah I agree with Kevin and Bobber too.  They look great and they sound great, it was definitely a transitional period but in the best sense of the word.

That is exactly the way I view this single : transitional. In the guitar sound, subject matter, lyrics, vocal harmonies, studio gimmickry and such.
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

Graph showing singles UK sales figures up to including Paperback Writer. Shows how easy it is to reach different interpretations of figures. While it is indeed their worst selling single since Please Please Me, it's not dramatically less than many other singles (AHDN for instance). It would be just as easy to tag it as an average (by Beatle standards) performance. We also made a deal of it not entering at #1. It in fact entered at #2, kept off the top spot by Sinatra's Strangers In The Night, but went to #1 the next week. (though it fell away far quicker than any preceeding single).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:07:39 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »

Graph showing singles UK sales figures up to including Paperback Writer. Shows how easy it is to reach different interpretations of figures. While it is indeed their worst selling single since Please Please Me, it's not dramatically less than many other singles (AHDN for instance). It would be just as easy to tag it as an average (by Beatle standards) performance. We also made a deal of it not entering at #1. It in fact entered at #2, kept off the top spot by Sinatra's Strangers In The Night, but went to #1 the next week. (though it fell away far quicker than any preceeding single).

I'm liking the graph. Thanks for that.
Do you have one that includes all their UK singles - could you maybe post it in a new thread?
It would be interesting to discuss the sales of singles relative to each other and I don't want to hijack this thread by starting it here!

Getting back to the PW thread ....
I think it is too much of a generalisation to say that McCartney was the "third-party" writer while Lennon was always first-person.
I do think Macca is capable of writing very personal songs just like John - I find "Here Today" is as touching and personal as anything on Plastic Ono Band, for example. There probably aren't too many songs where one man says "I love you" to another man like that.
And he is criticised for writing "Silly Love Songs" yet surely it doesn't get much more personal than telling someone you love them. Lennon said he didn't like writing love songs in the Beatlemania years and he would just churn them out, which is maybe why McCartney's love songs are more enduring - there was more of himself in them.
I don't really see how we learn anything about either John or Paul from PW or Rain. Neither of them strikes me as a personal song.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 53 queries.