Beatles forums > Albums

Let It Be Album

<< < (3/5) > >>

Dmitry:
They don't have to understand how genius' mind works but at least they have to be able to understand what genius is doing. I don't think John was a genius, he just a nice man who wasn't afraid of being himself.

nimrod:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on August 28, 2012, 01:34:31 PM ---I like the Naked album better. I don't think The Beatles envisioned it with Spectors angel choirs and much additional overdubs. Another point for me is that without the wall of sound I can hear more distinct guitar work. It gives us Beatle fans something new to figure out years after it was made. Considering Georges I, Me Mine was recorded in April 1970 without John it is a nice excersize in George guitar as he played them all. Much fun!

--- End quote ---

Yes Dcazz it is strange that they let Phil put all the extra stuff on there considering it was supposed to be a 'lets get back to basics without loads of overdubs' allbum, I can thoroughly understand why Paul wanted it re-releasing without all that and I like the way he put 'Dont Let Me Down' on there also, the trouble is with me Ive played it a thousand times in its original form and Naked just sounds...erm...Naked to me and a bit emptyish, so I still prefer the original.

BeatlesandBud:
I think it is fairly obvious that John was a genius in some way shape or form. The man wrote Strawberry Fields and I am the Walrus (among others ofc ;D). In an interview I remember him talking about how he would get hallucinations that would come to him and that would be his art (his songs). McCartney wrote the song Yesterday literally in his sleep. These men are obviously on a different level than us a mere mortals.

tkitna:

--- Quote from: BeatlesandBud on August 29, 2012, 05:33:22 PM ---These men are obviously on a different level than us a mere mortals.

--- End quote ---

They are just people too. Sure they can write better songs than us, but i'm sure we are better at them at a bunch of things too.I know what your saying, but I have problems putting mere humans that high up on the list.

nimrod:
The definition of a genius.

Exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
A person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect: "musical genius".

IMO (and I agree this is entirely subjective but facts and figures back me up) both John & Paul fit the above, Beethoven, Bach & Mozart were considered to be of genius level and surely with what they achieved on a world wide scale and the many many truly great melodies they wrote both Lennon & McCartney were the modern day Mozarts, Id go so far as to say that they didnt just write songs that will live for thousands of years they (like a very select few) changed the face of popular music, just like Bach did in his day with his counterpoint and contrapuntal melodies, in Johns case songs like Strawberry Fields, Walrus, Tomorrow Never Knows, Lucy In The Sky etc introduced a new level of art into pop music, never before had pop music been like this, Paul wrote astonishingly great melodies and together with albums like Pepper they changed simple pop music into a serious art form expressive both lyrically and harmonically.............true genius.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version