Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Signed Postcard of The Fab Four (or is it?)  (Read 2863 times)

SJ

Signed Postcard of The Fab Four (or is it?)
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »

Hi All,

I've attached (hopefully) a picture of a  postcard I have that is signed by The Beatles and Odd Job, can anyone tell me if this is the real thing, it was acquired in the early sixties at The Hilton Hotel London by a lady who worked in a restaurant in the hotel.

Many Thanks
SJ

Rising Starr

• A Beginning
    • alison johnson
Re: Signed Postcard of The Fab Four (or is it?)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »

Looks good to me.

Dr.Winston

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »

Hi All,

I've attached (hopefully) a picture of a  postcard I have that is signed by The Beatles and Odd Job, can anyone tell me if this is the real thing, it was acquired in the early sixties at The Hilton Hotel London by a lady who worked in a restaurant in the hotel.

Many Thanks
SJ
Sorry. I used to deal in Beatles autographs and unfortunately this set was signed by their road manager Neil Aspinall who often signed for them because of the demand. Actually, even sets by Neil Aspinall still have a degree of collectability but obviously nowhere near as much as a genuine set by The Beatles themselves would have.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »

Example for Fake Autographs.....

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »

Sorry. I used to deal in Beatles autographs and unfortunately this set was signed by their road manager Neil Aspinall who often signed for them because of the demand. Actually, even sets by Neil Aspinall still have a degree of collectability but obviously nowhere near as much as a genuine set by The Beatles themselves would have.

Yes.  There's a fine monograph on this subject here:  http://www.autographworld.com/beatles/sigstudy2.asp?sf=0
I can stay till it's time to go

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »

Dr.Winston

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »

That's an old trick trying to mate up a picture of the artist signing something that you can't see properly to make it seem genuine. These ones are fake of course. That type of photo-card (along with other types) was used by The Beatles and you do see them genuinely signed by The Beatles themselves but most of them are signed by Neil Aspinall (like the one in the OP)or Mal Evans.

You even see some of them signed by one or two of The Beatles like this one below which is genuinely signed by John and Ringo but Neil Aspinall has signed for the other two. Sometimes one Beatle would sign his own name and then fake the signatures of the other 3. Of course it was all quite innocent back then. They were just trying to keep the fans happy and must have had no idea that one day their signatures would be worth a lot of money.

Unfortunately the many modern fakes made today aren't so innocent.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:02:56 PM by Dr.Winston »

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »

What's the best way to tell if autographs are fake or not?

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »

Get them checked over by an expert such as our own Dr.Winston who has posted above, or one of these ....

http://beatlesautographs.com/

http://www.tracks.co.uk/acatalog/__Autographs.html

Sometimes it is fairly easy to spot fakes as the forger makes an obvious error, like trying to pass off a copy of Ringo's modern signature (where he draws a star shape rather than write "Starr") as a 1960s autograph. Or there was a famous one that had John's signature on an album that was released after he died  ;D

But, for the most part you have to know what you are talking about as the differences between real autographs and fakes, or those done by Neil or Mal or even other Beatles, can be hard to spot.

Personally, I would have no idea how to spot good forgeries from the real thing, which is why I would buy from someone like Frank Caiazzo rather than a seller on eBay or wherever (not that I have that sort of money anyway, of course  ;) )

My mother-in-law has a set of autographs from Paris in January 1964 on a programme from their Olympia shows. She gave the programme to a waiter in The Beatles hotel and he returned it signed the next day. She has never had it checked out to see if the signatures are genuine, or indeed done by Neil or someone like that. She did see Paul outside the hotel and got his autograph herself on an airline sick bag ( unused!!!!  ha2ha ) so she at least has one genuine autograph.

Dr.Winston

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »

Peterbell1 has offered good advice. Frank Caiazzo is the accepted final word and with good reason. Tracks in the UK and Perry Cox in the US are also great. Never be persuaded to buy just because the seller claims he has a certificate of authenticity, many of those certificates aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Even if it has one issued by one of the people named I'd still email them to conform the authenticity of the COA ... yes, even COA's from people like Frank Caiazzo have been faked before, there's often big money involved. The guys mentioned above will sometimes provide a COA for your items for a fee. For a valuable item I would say that it's worth it because it will make it a lot easier to sell if you should want to in the future.

Barring the mistakes such as those peterbell1 one mentioned it's only experience that's going give you confidence in deciding as to an items authenticity. Also , although a good story behind a set of autographs is cool, don't let the story sell them to you, the autographs have to stand on their own right.

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »

Thanks for the information!

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 58 queries.