Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: While My Guitar Gently Weeps  (Read 7842 times)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
« on: April 28, 2007, 03:43:22 AM »

What do you think of this song? I love and prefere it to Lennon/McCartney songs. I'd like to hear your opinions and where it ranks among your favorite songs.

Re: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 03:52:29 AM »

It's alright. Acoustic is better.

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:40:08 AM »

in my opinion, one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The acoustic bootleg version and the original alike. George at his very best  :) I never get bored of hearing it.

It's definately my favourite song from the White Album, above any of the Lennon/McCartney tracks (though not by far- I love stuff like Happiness is a Warm Gun, Julia etc. a LOT) so hmmm because the Beatles songs vary so much, I honestly don't think I can analyse whether I prefer it to all Lennon/McCartney songs over their career. But it's definately up there in the top section of my list :)
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »

It isn't a secret that I think that the song is ruined on the White Album. Eric's solo kills it, really. But you will find enough fans of the song on this forum.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »

My favourite on the White Album, it could well be my fav
George song in the Beatles along with Something. :) I personally thought
he was writing better than Lennon & McCartney by the end (before the break-up).
THe acoustic Anthology 3 version is stunning as well but i hated what
George Martin did to it on the Love soundtrack :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 01:58:59 PM »

I only have the acoustic from the Anthology, and I love it: I listen to it when I'm in a thoughtful mood. Really beautiful. I think this is definitely one of the most brilliant songs George wrote, alongside Within You Without You.
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:20:38 PM »

Quote from: 63
It isn't a secret that I think that the song is ruined on the White Album. Eric's solo kills it, really. But you will find enough fans of the song on this forum.

oohh really? hang on so you mean it would be better without Eric's solo? Sorry don't quite get you  :-/
<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »

Almost everybody can see how great and marvellous this song is ... acoustic, ballad or rock ... in every style, flamenco included! ... and so it's always said to be one of the best of the White Album (if not the best one) The bass and drums are awesome and the harmonies too!!! :)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »

I really enjoy listening to the 'Love' version - I just think the score that was wrote by Sir George is fantastic, and the vocals seem alot more heart felt.
Saying that, the White Album version still has a place in my heart - with Mccartney's thundering piano introduction and Clapton's intense solo.
Electric or acoustic - it is a beautiful song.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »

Quote from: 553

oohh really? hang on so you mean it would be better without Eric's solo? Sorry don't quite get you  :-/

The acoustic version is far better.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 06:35:14 PM »

George has so many beautiful songs, I can't possibly pick a favorite. This one would probably be in the top 20 though! :)

The acoustic version on Anthology 3 is my definite favorite. George sounds so very vulnerable there, and I think some of his strongest songwriting came out when he exposed his vulnerability to the world.

My next favorite version is the one that Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney did live for the Concert for George. I think it captures the excitement of the electric version while retaining the emotional potency of the solo acoustic performance. That whole concert was awesome.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 08:58:20 PM »

The live version on 'Live in Japan' is an amazing performance as well,
(& with Eric!)  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 09:34:41 PM »

i like the version on love his voice just seems so pure and sexy

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 01:27:58 AM »

One of the best Harrison songs in my opinion. I stil want to know who does he refer to when he says "you" in the song. You know "i look at you all..." "Nobody told you" etc.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:22 AM »

Quote from: 596
One of the best Harrison songs in my opinion. I stil want to know who does he refer to when he says "you" in the song. You know "i look at you all..." "Nobody told you" etc.

Hmm interesting!

I suppose I've always thought of it as 'you' being just people- people in the world in general. Sort of George feeling so small and insigificant and can see and the lack of love in the world, but feels that as he is just a musician, all he can do is play his guitar.

But then perhaps it is also talking indirectly about the other Beatles and the state their relationships were in- and the fact that he felt pushed aside and ignored a bit by John and Paul perhaps. But then that doesn't really explain 'I don't know why nobody told you, they bought and sold you'

well, thats just my thoughts on it- I would love to know what George actually had in mind though!

By the way, I once heard on the radio an excellent version of this song my Todd Rundgren but havent been able to find it since. But it was a great version in my opinion :)
<br />

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 10:52:25 AM »

I suppose I've always thought of it as 'you' being just people- people in the world in general. Sort of George feeling so small and insigificant and can see and the lack of love in the world, but feels that as he is just a musician, all he can do is play his guitar.

Could be. I actually like the your interpretation.

But then perhaps it is also talking indirectly about the other Beatles and the state their relationships were in- and the fact that he felt pushed aside and ignored a bit by John and Paul perhaps. But then that doesn't really explain 'I don't know why nobody told you, they bought and sold you'

well, thats just my thoughts on it- I would love to know what George actually had in mind though!

I also though it was about the other 3 (or 2) but like you say some sentences dont really make sense.

To tell the truth I thought it was about prostitutes. I suspect I saw Moulin Rouge at the time... But y'know it made sense.. "you were perverted" "bought and sold"  :B

In I Me Mine all that George says is that he felt like writing a song and he went to his mom's house and opened  the dictionary at a random place. The first word he saw was "weeping" he went to the piano and from then on the words just flowed on paper (more freely than wine, mind :P)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »

Wow, this is a great masterpiece. Surely that John and Paul envied George for having composed this one. I would!
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »

in my opinion, one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The acoustic bootleg version and the original alike. George at his very best  :) I never get bored of hearing it.

Precisely how I feel about this song.  Each time I listen to the song, it's like hearing it for the first time.  It's a very moving piece, electric and acoustic.

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »

Quote from: 63

That's because for a long while, the White Album version was all that some of us had.

I can stay till it's time to go

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 10:28:17 PM »

Quote from: 59
[...]Each time I listen to the song, it's like hearing it for the first time.  It's a very moving piece, electric and acoustic.
"Each time ... it's like ... the first time" is a well form of describing the sensation most of us share  ;) ...

I've always said that this masterpiece is much more than Eric's guitar work (that fits with the rock mood of the released version): amazing piano riff to introduce it all, dRingo's rums are awesome and Paul's bass is so good that sounds modern nowadays ... the harmonies (spicealley in the last minute) are gorgeous and that tambourine break in the middle is sooo powerful ... and there's still much more: lyrics, wonderful sequence of minor chords and more and more ...
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 87 queries.