Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Best Song on 'With the Beatles'  (Read 10428 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Best Song on 'With the Beatles'
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »

Quote from: raxo
Don't Bother Me ... I'm talking about the song, ... nothing personal! LOL

... and his demos!  :)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 01:49:05 PM »

Not A Second Time & All I've Got To Do.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 02:41:23 PM »

EASILY All My Loving.

This is altogether a very weak album.

Here's how I would rank the songs:

1. All My Loving
2. I Wanna Be Your Man
3. Hold Me Tight
4. Money (That's What I Want)
5. You Really Got A Hold On Me
6. Please Mr. Postman
7. Roll Over Beethoven
8. Till There Was You
9. Devil In Her Heart
10. Little Child
11. It Won't Be Long
12. Don't Bother Me
13. Not A Second Time
14. All I've Got To Do

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 12:28:02 AM »

Quote from: Lostio

You are altogether wrong!!!!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 01:41:29 PM »

Quote from: Lostio

I agree ... my ranking:

1. Guys For Sale
2. Abbey Road
3. Let It Be
4. The Guys
5. Please Please Me
6. Revolver
7. Rubber Soul
8. Yellow Submarine
9. Help!
10. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
11. Magical Mystery Tour
12. A Hard Days Night
13. With The Guys

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »

I can understand it not being some peoples favourite, being from the dark ages of 1963, but to call it "weak."!!!!! IMO it's a superb album, a huge step up from Please Please Me, the first indication of their true genius and far more coherent and pleasing than the ditherings of For Sale and Help!
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 01:57:39 PM »

I think Please Please Me was joyfull and with energy ... originals are superb and only a couple of covers sounds aw-full to me: A Taste Of Honey and Boys ... but in With The Guys we've got:

Little Child, Hold Me Tight and I Wanna Be Your Man ... nothing special on those (terrible, some) ... and I don't want to talk about the covers ....

ringo rules

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 02:02:12 PM »

All I've Got To Do is my favourite on With the Beatles

Bobber

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 05:40:20 PM »

Quote from: raxo
I think Please Please Me was joyfull and with energy ... originals are superb and only a couple of covers sounds aw-full to me: A Taste Of Honey and Boys ... but in With The Guys we've got:

Little Child, Hold Me Tight and I Wanna Be Your Man ... nothing special on those (terrible, some) ... and I don't want to talk about the covers ....

The covers are better than those on Beatles For Sale.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 06:38:28 PM »

Curio-us to me ...

Let's take a view to their ... their classic covers? (I mean those that they performed on stage during most of their tours and gigs) ... and to the weird ones too ...

from Please Please Me :

1. Twist And Shout (John) (Hamburg till the end)
... and no more 'cos Boys was played just a few times ...

from Wth The Guys:

1. Roll Over Beethoven (George) (Hamburg till mid 60s)
2. Money (That's All I Want) (John) (lots of times)
... and no more 'cos Till There Was You and You Really Got A Hold On Me (on stage by late 63 ... till mid 64?)

from Guys For Sale:

1. Rock And Roll Music (John)
2. Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hoy, Hey (Paul)
3. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby (George)
... all of these well-known classics till the end ...

--------------------

They also loved obscure covers, didn't they ...

from Please Please Me could be:

Chains, A Taste Of Honey, Anna (Go To Him)

from Wth The Guys:

Devil In Her Heart, Till There Was You

from Guys For Sale:

Mr. Moonlight, Words Of Love

What I'm trying to say is that they recorded some classics and some obscure covers on each album till mid-60s: Rubber Soul, right? (except for A Hard Day's Night -because they cheated including the 4 songs of the singles, ... they'd only got 9 songs for that album, only one more than usual-) ...

... but it seems that the album that contains the most classics of their repertoire and the less-east weird ones is precisalley Guys For Sale ...

... a different thing is if you like those covers ... but at least those audiences seemed to do it ... and The Guys them-helves (how many times John, Paul and George played Rock And Roll Music (John), Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hoy, Hey (Paul) and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby (George)?) ...

After all, their original songs on With The Guys are not as great as the ones on other albums and that's the week-east point for it ...

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 06:49:46 PM »

We seem to disagree on almost every point on this one.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 06:54:35 PM »

It's just a matter of taste, after all ... but I was trying to find some facts ... or common points ... or objective statements ... or whatever! in order to see if we can agree in something (anything!) about this one ... or just see something about it in the same way ... but it seems we can't  :-/ ...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 08:16:59 PM »

"We can agree to differ."

I can stay till it's time to go

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 10:00:27 PM »

You have to remember what sort of music was around in 1963 - With The Beatles was a breath of fresh air. And don't forget, most of these tracks broke The Beatles in America. Even the Times' music correspondent raved about the album on its release, so it is extremely unfair to look back on this LP in hindsight and rip it to shreds!!!!

Nothing special?

True, it was just the start of something amazing but they entered the game on top!

I've never understood how Beatles fans can disregard any one LP (especially their first 3 or 4) - yes, we can have favourites, but i would think a fan of the group would at least have an appreciation of all of their releases. To just say that you don't think this album is any good or is weak is just crazy.

This album was already an almighty leap from Please Please Me - just 3 years later they began recording Strawberry Fields Forever!!!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 10:23:24 PM »

Quote from: The_End
You have to remember what sort of music was around in 1963 - With The Beatles was a breath of fresh air. And don't forget, most of these tracks broke The Beatles in America. Even the Times' music correspondent raved about the album on its release, so it is extremely unfair to look back on this LP in hindsight and rip it to shreds!!!!

Nothing special?

True, it was just the start of something amazing but they entered the game on top!

I've never understood how Beatles fans can disregard any one LP (especially their first 3 or 4) - yes, we can have favourites, but i would think a fan of the group would at least have an appreciation of all of their releases. To just say that you don't think this album is any good or is weak is just crazy.

This album was already an almighty leap from Please Please Me - just 3 years later they began recording Strawberry Fields Forever!!!

I like it ... but one of all those has to be down in my ranking, OK? ... and this one is the weak-east of all in my opinion ... their originals were not as good as most of the ones on Please Please Me and of course A Hard Day's Night ...

I was trying to say that there were 2-3 originals that were not as good as some of the songs they rejected by that time (One After 909, You Know What To Do some months later ...) and I think the albums includes some of the worst covers they ever made ... but that's only a comparasion with the rest of their work ... nothing else!

About the America thing: ... for them this (well, the re-make Meet The Guys) was "the album" 'cos they couldn't find any other material ... but the songs that socked them were: Twist And Shout, I Want To Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Can't Buy Me Love, Please Please Me, I Saw Her Standing There and many more that are not included on With The Guys (but on -the different and quite better- Meet The Guys) ... you can say All My Loving and some covers like Roll Over Beethoven, Money ... and maybe Till There Was You and Please Mr Postman ... but that's all ... so it was all their 1963 stuff that made it ... not only this album ...

... for me there's not a big step forward looking at Please Please Me ... their originals are more or less at the same level on both albums and the covers too ... A Hard Day's Night and Guys For Sale are a different thing ...

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 10:39:58 PM »

We have to agree to wildly differ on this as it's one of my favourite albums and favourite sons!!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 10:46:11 PM »

MAN, I LIKE IT!!! ... but it's not one of my favourite ones ... I like Please Please Me more for example: its production too ... but I admit it's good for that period ... and it includes the first Harrisonsong and the first this-tune-is-for-Ringo ... that was an improvement!!!  :D  :P  ;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »

My objection is to people saying it is a weak album, that's all. :)

Good little debate there. :)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 11:01:56 PM »

For me it's only the weak-east by them ... but you can easilly imagine that that's a great cumpliment, after all ... if you know what I mean ... Don't Bother Me and Not A Second Time are among the best songs they produced during Guymania in my opinion ... and they were tasting things that early ... good point for them there ...

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »

I miss more piano and keyboards parts on it ... they were shy (insecure) till Guys For Sale and Help! (A Hard Day's Night was more about acoustic guitars and all that) ...

... at least they began to build different vocal arrangements (it was Yeah-yeah-yeah- time, after all)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 80 queries.