Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Was The White Album Too Long?  (Read 14120 times)

apple sauce

• Getting Better
Was The White Album Too Long?
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »

I personally think the Beatles should have brought out 2 single Lps that when purchased the fans would have gotten the #9 song on a 45 single? There are so many songs on this double Lp that some often get overlooked! Two single Lps would have broken up the huge amount of songs and allowed more time to reflect upon them? :o

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Was The White Album Too Long?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:46:55 AM »

I like how it is, I also like how many underrated songs are on the album. It makes it a nice surprise to listen to.

ringo rules

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 09:20:02 AM »

Yeah Im quite happy with the 2 disks. It is my favourite album from them and I also agree with what Matt said above.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »

I think most double albums suffer from a lack of brevity. But The White albums' sprawl is its charm. I never listen to all four sides in one hit, but choose the one that suits my mood. Unfortunately side 4 rarely gets a listen because of Rev 9, which is a shame, cos I love the slow Revolution.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »

It was made for the intellectuals!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:09:33 PM »

Yeah, it was to long. It would be perfect without Revolution #9.

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 12:07:52 AM »

So prehaps a "45" of Rev#9 would have been a good idea then. Yes there's a certain charm in the collection of songs on this double album, but as stated it never really gets played all the way through. I think some of the quality songs get lost due to it's length.

Wayne L.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »

I don't think the White Album is too long at all, it's a helluva rock & roll trip from beginning to end & it would have been great as a triple album.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 04:50:36 AM »

Quote from: 185
Unfortunately side 4 rarely gets a listen because of Rev 9, which is a shame, cos I love the slow Revolution.

Side 4 on vinyl would quickly become a mess from playing Revolution #9 backwards and forwards at different speeds.

I can stay till it's time to go

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 10:29:03 AM »

Quote from: 59

Side 4 on vinyl would quickly become a mess from playing Revolution #9 backwards and forwards at different speeds.

:) When I was young I did such things. Now - who cares.
don't follow leaders

ringo rules

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 02:30:25 PM »

I do not think there is a Beatles album that is too long, the longer the better I say (does that sound wrong or is that my dirty mind?)  :P

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »

Two seperate albums without larking around (Rocky Raccoon, Birthday, etc.) would have been better.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 07:08:32 PM »

:) When I was young I did such things. Now - who cares.

Same here, now, but then we were "looking for clues".  It's a shame what happened to that album.  I bought it the first day it was released.  It had a serial # stamped on the cover.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 10:18:48 AM »

Quote from: 59

Same here, now, but then we were "looking for clues".  It's a shame what happened to that album.  I bought it the first day it was released.  It had a serial # stamped on the cover.

I cringe when I think of how I desecrated albums. I had a zipper Sticky fingers and a round Odgens Nut Gone Flake. All ended up on my wall. But a day of release numbered White Album? How do you sleep??  :)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 07:58:28 AM »

After all these years I still maintain that with the correct selection of songs this would have made a truly great single album. Don't get me wrong, I love the 'sprawling' nature of the double, the diversity of sounds, and the humour (strange considering the tension in the group at the time).

Revolution 9 belongs on a John & Yoko album. Good Night and Savoy Truffle are tripe and don't deserve the Beatles name.

A single album and maybe an EP would have done the trick.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 05:54:57 PM »

I really like Savoy Truffle. Based on a box of chocolates. (Can any other Britlanders remember Good News chocolates?). And, a 'hidden' spiritual message? 'We all know ob-la-di-bla-da, but can you show me where you are?'
All You Need Is LOVE!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 06:00:55 AM »

I cringe when I think of how I desecrated albums. I had a zipper Sticky fingers and a round Odgens Nut Gone Flake. All ended up on my wall. But a day of release numbered White Album? How do you sleep??  :)

Kevin, my sister still has her zipper Sticky Fingers, in pretty decent shape too.  As for my serial number White Album, I gave it to a girlfriend at the time.  When I bought another a year later, it had no serial number.  Who knew what it all meant in those days.

I'm content with my vinyl Beatles collection.  All were bought within a week or two of release (eg. "The Beatles Again") and survived the years.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 08:08:46 AM »

Quote from: 139
I really like Savoy Truffle. Based on a box of chocolates. (Can any other Britlanders remember Good News chocolates?). And, a 'hidden' spiritual message? 'We all know ob-la-di-bla-da, but can you show me where you are?'

I remember them. Claptons favourite chocolates, were't they? Still don't like the song though. Or the chocolates!!!

P.S. Where did you get the word: Britlanders?

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 01:09:50 PM »

Quote from: 483

I remember them. Claptons favourite chocolates, were't they? Still don't like the song though. Or the chocolates!!!

Yes, A Hard Day's Write says that Clapton loved chocolate and George told him that one more soft-centred chocolate would mean he would have to have his teeth pulled out. I think it was Raxo who invented 'Britlander'. I took to it because I'm a 'British first' Welshman.  :) And it just sounds good anyway.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »

Quote from: 483

Quote from: 139
Yes, A Hard Day's Write says that Clapton loved chocolate and George told him that one more soft-centred chocolate would mean he would have to have his teeth pulled out. I think it was Raxo who invented 'Britlander'. I took to it because I'm a 'British first' Welshman.  :) And it just sounds good anyway.

Well, this subject was discussed here  ::) ...
http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-books/m-1133866563/s-all/  (reply 12)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 80 queries.