Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 152099 times)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #780 on: January 04, 2013, 01:20:38 AM »

WOW!, You weren't kidding how you like the BB's. Very Impressive!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #781 on: January 04, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »

I present to you... My Beach Boys collection. :)

Wow, that's quite stunning. Mike Love ought to be proud for having a fan that bought not only his solo album, but one of his singles as well!

Few questions though, regarding some items :

What is/are that/those...
1) LP placed on the right of L.A. (Light Album) (another copy of L.A. ?)
2) Pink 7" single (or EP) placed near the 'Kokomo' single?
3) Last item from the "7" Singles and EPs" section?
4) Last 4 CDs from the penultimate row? (the last two look like some kind of Pet Sounds parodies)

And last, what do the 'Lucky Old Sun' book and DVD contain?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #782 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »

Wow, that's quite stunning. Mike Love ought to be proud for having a fan that bought not only his solo album, but one of his singles as well!

Few questions though, regarding some items :

What is/are that/those...
1) LP placed on the right of L.A. (Light Album) (another copy of L.A. ?)
2) Pink 7" single (or EP) placed near the 'Kokomo' single?
3) Last item from the "7" Singles and EPs" section?
4) Last 4 CDs from the penultimate row? (the last two look like some kind of Pet Sounds parodies)

And last, what do the 'Lucky Old Sun' book and DVD contain?

I actually have two (identical) copies of that Mike Love single... :)

1. Indeed another copy of LA. It's a picture disc.
2. A 1988 version of 'Don't Worry, Baby' by The Everly Brothers with The Beach Boys.
3. Brian Wilson's 'Midnight's Another Day' single. Only released as a promo.
4. Tribute albums: 'Add Some Music to Your Day', 'Caroline Now!', 'Do It Again: A Tribute to Pet Sounds' and 'The String Quartet Tribute to The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds'.

The Lucky Old Sun DVD is pretty cool. It contains a live performance of the full album, a feature length documentary, track by track commentary, a shorter documentary about the making of the album and some additional interviews and live footage. The book is just a concert program.

Music54

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #783 on: January 07, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »

I am a fan of The Beach Boys. In fact, once I had this creepy dream that Brian Wilson kissed me.  ???  :-[ At least it was an early 60's Brian Wilson and not a 2013 Brian Wilson.
This is the most amazing forum signature ever.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #784 on: January 08, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

Nice collection, Joost!!

A Beatles fan plays a pretty Beach Boys song...

The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music - 45 RPM

I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #785 on: January 13, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »

WOW !!

great collection Joost ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #786 on: April 18, 2013, 03:52:21 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #787 on: April 22, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »

Haven't played anything Beach Boys-related in months, but I'm listening right now to Al's 'Postcard To California' album and it's pretty nice. A pleasant surprise so far.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:49:13 PM by Ovi »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #788 on: April 26, 2013, 08:54:30 AM »

Yeah, "pleasant" pretty much sums up that album. It's by no means a great work of art, but it's pretty cool.

Something I think is funny about that album is that hardly anyone noticed that it was even released, even though you'll have a hard time finding a record with a more impressive selection of guest performers.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #789 on: May 21, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »

Some Beach Boys news:

After the 50th Anniversary Tour, Mike Love & Bruce Johnston returned to touring with their own version of The Beach Boys, as everyone who cares will know by now. But an interesting development is that Al Jardine & David Marks have now joined Brian Wilson and his band. They'll be playing a few US dates this Summer. Check brianwilson.com for details.

The live double cd 'Live: the 50th Anniversary Tour' was released this week. It's got 41 songs, including most of the greatest hits but also a few more obscure fan favorites such as 'Marcella', 'Add Some Music to Your Day' and 'All This is That'. Reactions from Beach Boys fans have been overwhelmingly negative because the recordings sound very fake. Many of the vocals have been very obviously autotuned (some so heavily that they just sound robotic) and some people even believe that vocals from the original albums have been mixed in here and there.

The career spanning 6 CD box set 'Made in California', has been announced for August 27. The tracklisting has not yet been released. It's likely going to be something of a revised version of 1993's 'Good Vibrations' box set (with the hits, important album tracks, alternate versions and unreleased songs), but with "new" rarities.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #790 on: May 21, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »

Thanks for the news Joost.

I'd have loved to see the tour but I'm going to pass on the live album etc.

Somehow the Beach Boys always maka a mess of live albums. (Except for Party! -  but how live was that?)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #791 on: May 21, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

Some Beach Boys news:

After the 50th Anniversary Tour, Mike Love & Bruce Johnston returned to touring with their own version of The Beach Boys, as everyone who cares will know by now. But an interesting development is that Al Jardine & David Marks have now joined Brian Wilson and his band. They'll be playing a few US dates this Summer. Check brianwilson.com for details.

And that ought to be a hard choice for the fans.  ;D

The live double cd 'Live: the 50th Anniversary Tour' was released this week. It's got 41 songs, including most of the greatest hits but also a few more obscure fan favorites such as 'Marcella', 'Add Some Music to Your Day' and 'All This is That'. Reactions from Beach Boys fans have been overwhelmingly negative because the recordings sound very fake. Many of the vocals have been very obviously autotuned (some so heavily that they just sound robotic) and some people even believe that vocals from the original albums have been mixed in here and there.

It's kinda painful to realize that some people in the BBs camp still care about things like commercial appeal or new production techniques. Every time I read something like this I automatically think of 80's or 90's Beach Boys and how dark those times were for the band.

The career spanning 6 CD box set 'Made in California', has been announced for August 27. The tracklisting has not yet been released. It's likely going to be something of a revised version of 1993's 'Good Vibrations' box set (with the hits, important album tracks, alternate versions and unreleased songs), but with "new" rarities.

Now this is the real deal. Already onto it.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #792 on: May 21, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »

Somehow the Beach Boys always maka a mess of live albums.

How about 'In Concert' from 1973, zipp?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #793 on: May 21, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »

Thanks for the news Joost.

I'd have loved to see the tour but I'm going to pass on the live album etc.

Somehow the Beach Boys always maka a mess of live albums. (Except for Party! -  but how live was that?)

'Party' was recorded in the studio, the "party" sounds were overdubbed afterwards.

I don't agree with you though that all their live albums are a mess. 'Concert' was indeed bad: partially live, partially recorded in the studio with artificial crowd noises, and a lot of cover songs that were inferior to their own material. But 'Live in London' and 'In Concert'  are really excellent. They sound great, they didn't mess with the recordings afterwards and the final albums are cool mixes of hits and fan favorites. Nothing wrong with those two albums. And 'Live at Knebworth' is not that bad either, is it?

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #794 on: May 22, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »

I knew that you wouldn't agree but for me The Beach Boys are, like The Beatles, first and foremost a studio band.

The live stuff is nearly always a disappointment.

Now I've really put the cat among the pigeons!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #795 on: May 22, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »

I knew that you wouldn't agree but for me The Beach Boys are, like The Beatles, first and foremost a studio band.

Now I've really put the cat among the pigeons!

I agree, but I think noone will deny that the Beach Boys are essentially a studio band, beyond enjoying their live recordings or not.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #796 on: May 24, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »

Of course they sounded better in the studio. If you record your songs with doubled or triple tracked harmonies and with a couple dozen of the best session musicians around in the studio, it's going to be hard to make those songs sound just as good on stage. But I do think that especially 'Live in London' and 'In Concert' are well worth hearing and certainly not "a mess".

nimrod

« Reply #797 on: May 30, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »

I dont know about The Beach Boys Ive never heard them live, The Beatles were a quality live act, only let down by the equipment, set-up etc available in the early 60s.
By the time technology had moved on they'd given up playing live.

this is great..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612806fJb_Q" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612806fJb_Q</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfK67uzz83o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfK67uzz83o</a>
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:47:09 AM by nimrod »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #798 on: May 31, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »

I dont know about The Beach Boys Ive never heard them live, The Beatles were a quality live act, only let down by the equipment, set-up etc available in the early 60s.
By the time technology had moved on they'd given up playing live.

this is great..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612806fJb_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfK67uzz83o
In almost evry later video when george does his leads, the camera goes off to something else! The police in this case. Hey Bulldog the solo goes to an acoustic double exposure so you dont actually see any of the performances. Very strange and disapointing.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #799 on: May 31, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »

love how Ringo lets rip during the last few bars of LTS, pity the camera moves away from him as well :D
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42

Page created in 0.736 seconds with 85 queries.