Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Bob Dylan!  (Read 127965 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Bob Dylan!
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »

Quote from: 216

put em' up, put em' up!  ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2008, 11:29:23 PM »

The guitar dwarfs him. He must be a tiny guy!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2008, 01:20:45 AM »

Quote from: 1161

Haven't seen that one before; thanks. Love the Lou Reed shades on the guy in the center right. :)

I believe that's none other than Donovan Leitch.  And the blond looks like Mary (Paul is in the background, don't know where Peter is.)  Must be from Newport Folk Festival--Bob's got his "dukes" up.

IMDB says Bob is five-seven and a half.  I'd say that half is in his boots.  Otherwise that sounds about right.

IMDB says Robbie Robertson is 6'1" and Van Morrison is 5'5" (poor Van, having to stretch . . .)

Compare the picture from the Last Waltz: http://www.van-morrison.com/images/thelastwaltz.jpg

Just for scale: Neil Diamond is 5'11".

So Bob is ginormous, just not height-wise.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2008, 01:37:46 AM »

Quote from: 9

I believe that's none other than Donovan Leitch.  And the blond looks like Mary (Paul is in the background, don't know where Peter is.)  Must be from Newport Folk Festival--Bob's got his "dukes" up.

IMDB says Bob is five-seven and a half.  I'd say that half is in his boots.  Otherwise that sounds about right.

IMDB says Robbie Robertson is 6'1" and Van Morrison is 5'5" (poor Van, having to stretch . . .)

Compare the picture from the Last Waltz: http://www.van-morrison.com/images/thelastwaltz.jpg

Just for scale: Neil Diamond is 5'11".

So Bob is ginormous, just not height-wise.

Thanks for the info! Is that Bobby Neuwirth in the upper right?

My friend always calls Van Morrison a leprechaun. For obvious reasons. It always amazes me that that amazing soulful voice comes out of that little funny looking white guy.

There are some pretty small guys up on that stage, yet bigger than life. Didn't know Robbie Robertson was so tall. Must be that fresh Canadian air!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2008, 01:40:21 AM »

Paul Simon is 5'3. When Woody Allen cast him in Annie Hall, he said it was because he wanted to lose the girl to a guy who was shorter than him.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2008, 01:48:32 AM »

That's funny. I love Woody Allen.

It would be weird to meet someone like that and be taller than them.
Bob and lil' Paul. Wonder what they're singing??

Another cool pic.
Look how thrilled Neil is chatting with his hero.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2008, 01:58:10 AM »

I think it would be weird to meet one of your musical idols and be taller than them. It just doesn't seem right, you know? Especially if they were a male and you were female.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2008, 02:03:02 AM »

Thanks; I hadn't even thought about who it might be, but this is Donovan from Top Of The Tops:

... and another good mid sixties shot of Bob (Blonde On Blonde period, I'll bet), still looking sleep deprived:

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2008, 02:07:26 AM »

Ha ha! This is funny. I never realized how often Bob looked sleep deprived in his photos. Now I'm going to think about that every time I see a picture of him. Guess he got a lot of lovin'.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2008, 02:07:57 AM »

I LOVE that picture of Bob. Beautiful. And man does Donovan look just like his daughter. Or the other way around. But you know what I mean. Whatever became of her anyway? She was pretty popular in the eighties. Oh well.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2008, 02:09:28 AM »

Donovan has a daughter? Who is she?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2008, 02:11:43 AM »

Ione Skye:

The only movie I remember her from at the moment is River's Edge. Which was a brilliant movie.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2008, 02:13:49 AM »

Oh wait, she was in Say Anything too with John Cusack. She's his radio girl. You know the scene right?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2008, 02:16:28 AM »

oh that movie rocks! She was pretty good in it.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2008, 11:23:33 PM »

I'm not sure "sleep-deprived" adequately describes Dylan during the 1966 period.  Strung out (on heroin, mandrax, who knows . . . .) seems more accurate.  Some of the film clips from "No Direction Home" show the guy totally effed up.  It's a shame drugs got hold of him.  

Just think of the inspirational songs he could have written.  "How many roads must a man walk down" and stuff like that.  Something to raise us up.  Real anthems, not navel-gazing introspective paeans about his "conscious" exploding ("Visions of Johanna").  

For crying out loud, he didn't even write a song about the assassination of Martin Luther King, but he writes laments for George Jackson, Hurricane Carter and Joey Gallo (and portrays them as no less than saints).   I mean, what's wrong with this picture?  

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »

I'm not sure "sleep-deprived" adequately describes Dylan during the 1966 period.  Strung out (on heroin, mandrax, who knows . . . .) seems more accurate.  Some of the film clips from "No Direction Home" show the guy totally effed up.  It's a shame drugs got hold of him.  

Just think of the inspirational songs he could have written.  "How many roads must a man walk down" and stuff like that.  Something to raise us up.  Real anthems, not navel-gazing introspective paeans about his "conscious" exploding ("Visions of Johanna").  

For crying out loud, he didn't even write a song about the assassination of Martin Luther King, but he writes laments for George Jackson, Hurricane Carter and Joey Gallo (and portrays them as no less than saints).   I mean, what's wrong with this picture?  

You share Joan Baez's and a million or so fans same frustrations. I don't think the drugs had anything to do with Bob's non-involvment in certain movements. He was very aware of what he was doing. Or not doing.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »

Thanks for the response.  Course I'm halfway kidding.  I love "Visions of Johanna" even if Bob uses conscious instead of consciousness.  I guess it wouldn't fit the line.  

But I do think drugs warped his sensibility and limited his range of topics (maybe he went Christian to expand his range?)

Drugs tend to make everything about "me"; and I think that's been pretty much the trajectory of his life and career.  Although classics do come through: "Jokerman" or "Blind Willie McTell."

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »

I always thought it was his conscience that was exploding.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2008, 09:20:25 PM »

You're right, Mairi.  Bobdylan.com does say "conscience."  But it doesn't make sense like "conscious" or "consciousness" exploding for me.  

Is the speaker's vision of right and wrong (conscience) exploding?  I guess you could make a good argument for that since his love for the unattainable Johanna is keeping him from being honest with Louise (and her lover so entwined--maybe himself).  Or maybe being with Louise is exploding his conscience when he knows the right one for him is Johanna.  

But I like the idea of fish truck loads/conscious explodes because his longing for Johanna seems to be shattering all objective points of reference and taking him inside to the subjective world where Johanna is his Fairie Queen.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2008, 06:12:32 AM »

Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 73 queries.