Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: Bob Dylan!  (Read 127953 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Bob Dylan!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 10:46:18 AM »

Quote from: 483
That was me Rax. But this is what I actually said:
You could be one of them but not the only one  ;) ... before you said anything this was posted there (I don't like to give names so I've deleted author's name here :))
Cool. Definately a step up from Fine Line. Love the guitar riff - sounds quite modern. I'm a little critical of the vocals - a bit too processed and polished. Would have been better a bit rawer. Won't set the world on fire, but a good effort and should get some decent radio play (which after all is its job.) My score: 7/10.
Not bad for an old codger.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 07:47:08 PM »

Quote from: 185

Totally agree. The Beatles inspired Bob to pick up an electric guitar. Bob inspired The Beatles to change the way they made music. Fair swap.

Were you being sarcastic there? I was just wondering. I'm not offended or anything, it's just hard to tell on the internet.

I think a lot of people don't realize how huge a deal it was for Bob to go electric. The electric guitar was a relatively new invention at the time and generally associated with mainstream rock and roll. Many folkies were outraged and furious, and thought Bob was a sell-out. You can see the concert footage and everything where he gets called "Judas", but still, many people forget what a big thing it was. The public responded more to Bob going electric than they did to any of the changes the Beatles made to themselves. (Except the Jesus comment)

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 12:39:43 AM »

I don't think it's as simple as all that. Bob had an influence mainly on Lennon and how he wrote lyrics. I don't think Bob's influence was all that encompassing. The Beatles were influenced by MANY things. They did things in the studio that Bob never even dreamed of. If Lennon became a more introspective lyricist thanks to Bob, than that's great but I think that's pretty much the end of it. I don't think Dylan changed the way the Beatles made music. Lennon copied his style only very briefly. McCartney had his own style and influences including things like the Beach Boys, avant garde and so on. Lennon also fed off of many influences and lets not forget about George. Dylan was just another piece of the puzzle. As for the political aspect of it, I think they would have spoken out sooner or later anyway. That's just the way the tide was turning.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:38 AM »

I liked what Bob had to say about Paul.  Coming from Bob, well, that show's you where Paul really ranks--no matter what detractors may say.   Thanks for the link, Sandra.

BTW, there's a good bootleg of Bob and George doing "Yesterday" which some have called a send-up or a joke.  I think it's a fairly serious version, with Dylan really singing it (maybe thinking of using it on "Self-Portrait").  I also think it's a great adaptation that someone alt-country flavored should try out.  

Course I can't hear Bob doing "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" but who knows--maybe he could pull it off.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 04:03:39 AM »

I need an intrervention! I need hands upon me! I am lost.

Here you go, Kevin! Step into the healing hands. You will be cured of excessive Beatles admiration forever, just like Blue Meanie!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 06:43:32 AM »

Quote from: 551
Here you go, Kevin! Step into the healing hands. You will be cured of excessive Beatles admiration forever, just like Blue Meanie!

I think I'm looking pretty admiring in that picture. ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 08:18:03 AM »

Quote from: 216
I don't think it's as simple as all that. Bob had an influence mainly on Lennon and how he wrote lyrics. I don't think Bob's influence was all that encompassing. The Beatles were influenced by MANY things. They did things in the studio that Bob never even dreamed of. If Lennon became a more introspective lyricist thanks to Bob, than that's great but I think that's pretty much the end of it. I don't think Dylan changed the way the Beatles made music. Lennon copied his style only very briefly. McCartney had his own style and influences including things like the Beach Boys, avant garde and so on. Lennon also fed off of many influences and lets not forget about George. Dylan was just another piece of the puzzle. As for the political aspect of it, I think they would have spoken out sooner or later anyway. That's just the way the tide was turning.

Yeah - you're probably right. I got a bit carried away there. There's never any one simple answer to these things. Music evolves with everyone adding their bit, and we could trace influences back to Zog banging a rock. Sandra's right - it was just the way it was heading.
Mairi - I was trying to be funny (and failing), not sarcastic. (well maybe a little) Apologies.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »

Quote from: 483
I think I'm looking pretty admiring in that picture. ;D
You can't fool me, BM. That smile is just painted on! ;)

Kevin, there's no need to apologize! I was just trying to be playful. I did take it as funny, which is why this picture sprang to mind. Now, back to the musical discussion. :)

(Wait a minute-- reads Kevin's response again) You said Mairi and not Hari. I'm blind. *stumbles off to get more coffee*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »

^I'm a bit annoyed with myself over that. I'm really into human evolution, and reading all those books has changed the way I think about things. I try to put the same reasoning to Beatles music (hence my recent obsession with the why's rather than the how's) and to put all my eggs in the Bob Basket like that was just plain dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.
Bob's my Piltdown Man and I'm the Charles Dawson of DM's.
I have to go wipe myself now.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »

Nothing to do with his influence on the Beatles but just a random thought on Bob.

I was listening to Highway 61 last night and Queen Jane Approximately came on (which is purportedly about Joan Baez). It got me thinking what a jerk he could be back in those days. He has a lot of nerve to write a song like that about her, putting her down. After all, he was the one who treated her like crap, cheated on her, and broke her heart. Just goes to show that you can be the total a**hole in a relationship, but if you write a good enough song about it, people will take your side.

I still love him though, of course. He was arrogant as hell in the '60s but he was only in his early twenties. I don't know too much about his relationship with Sara but I hope he's learned to treat women a little better.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 07:35:18 AM »

^Agreed Mairi. Can't stand the guy. In his autobiography he calls himself a visionary. His delight in torturing John in the cab scene is excrutiating. He's a tosser.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 02:47:14 PM »

Mmm, well, I wouldn't go that far.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2007, 04:43:02 PM »

Quote from: 218
Mmm, well, I wouldn't go that far.

Oh no. Dylans' a twat!

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2007, 04:51:45 PM »

George said he's bonkers.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2007, 05:38:06 PM »

Any genius worth his salt has to be a little crazy.

I don't even know what "worth his salt" means, but it sounded good so there you go.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2007, 04:14:23 AM »

Quote from: 366
Oh, that's interesting! Can you tell me more about that? Cheers.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »

Quote from: 216
Any genius worth his salt has to be a little crazy.

I don't even know what "worth his salt" means, but it sounded good so there you go.

OK, here we go. Many moons ago salt was a very valuable commodity. In fact Roman soldiers were often paid in salt (Salis - where the word salary is derived from) so they could trade it. So the expression 'Anybody worth his salt' is taken to mean somebody who deserves what they are being paid.

Having trouble thinking of a genius who isn't slightly nuts. But then, I'm having trouble thinking of anyone I personally know who isn't either!!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »

Thanks for the history lesson, Blue Meanie!

There does to be a connection between being a highly creative personality and being a little off-balance.  I have an artist in the family, and in order to keep the peace I have to give her special dispensation to be... an irritant.  ;D

This is not meant to excuse creative people when they hurt the ones that they love.  I just think that a number of creative people are not as calm or kind as some others. We all have our strengths... and weaknesses.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2007, 06:05:02 PM »

[...] In his autobiography he calls himself a visionary. [...]

So I wonder what he would consider his vision to be? Wouldn't we know by now? The thing that annoys me about Dylan is the way a lot of people seem to speak of him in as though he's some kind of great hero. Dylan made a film in the eighties (anyone heard of it?), for which a documentary was also made. The funny part was when Dylan's agent, or whoever, was telling someone forcefully on the phone that something was not good enough for 'BOB DYLAN!!!' Had a good laugh at it later on with someone else who saw it.
All You Need Is LOVE!

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »

Quote from: 366

Well he did once.

I can recall things I just don't know where I recall them from.

A book I believe, something like he's harmless but completely off his rocker.

The 'Cousin Bob' lyric in Brainwashed is a favorite.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 78 queries.