Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Elliott Smith  (Read 1571 times)

Crazy Diamond

Elliott Smith
« on: March 15, 2005, 10:48:16 AM »

He's a f***ing genius. My favorite albums are XO and Either/Or. Favorite song is "Waltz #2". RIP.

Discuss.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Elliott Smith
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 02:25:38 PM »

"XO" is my all-time favorite album. I like it even more than any Beatles (or Beach Boys) album. I like "Either/Or" a lot too.

Favorite songs:
1. Miss Misery
2. Between The Bars (orchestral version)
3. Waltz #2 (XO)
4. Independence Day
5. Bled White

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 06:53:48 PM »

1. Waltz #2
2. Say Yes
3. Pictures of Me
4. Miss Misery
5. Needle in the Hay

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 02:04:34 AM »

hes a genius

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 02:12:29 AM »

Im dumb, i should buy that album- XO

if its better than Revolver beatle fans say, i gotta hear it! lol

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 03:34:09 AM »

Quote from: Zep_Fan
He's a f***ing genius. My favorite albums are XO and Either/Or. Favorite song is "Waltz #2". RIP.

Discuss.

wait did he die???  i only have 2 albums (XO and Either/Or) so i dont know much.  But did he die?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 03:38:56 AM »

some info:  Sad.

Singer Elliott Smith dead at 34
Wednesday, October 22, 2003 Posted: 12:37 PM EDT (1637 GMT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Follow the news that matters to you. Create your own alert to be notified on topics you're interested in.

Or, visit Popular Alerts for suggestions.

Manage alerts | What is this?

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Elliott Smith, a singer-songwriter whose dark, introspective songs won him critical acclaim and an Academy Award nomination, has apparently committed suicide, his publicist and coroner's officials said Wednesday. He was 34.

Smith's body was found by his live-in girlfriend Tuesday, Los Angeles County Coroner Records Supervisor Marsha Grigsby told AP Radio.

He sustained a single stab wound to the chest that appeared to be self-inflicted, she said.

His New York-based publicist, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed his death.

Smith released five solo albums that received widespread acclaim from rock critics and garnered modest commercial success. "Miss Misery," recorded for Gus Van Sant's "Good Will Hunting," was nominated for an Oscar in 1998.

Smith's songs often were compared with those of Alex Chilton, Nick Drake and the Beatles, his favorite band.

Lyrically, they addressed dark subject matter such as drug addiction, troubled relationships and loneliness -- though Smith tried to distance himself from the label of confessional songwriter.

"I don't feel like my songs are particularly fragile or revealing," he said in a 1998 interview in the Los Angeles Times. "It's not like a diary, and they're not intended to be any sort of superintimate confessional singer-songwriterish thing."

However, Smith had recently spoken in interviews about his struggles with alcoholism. "When I lived in New York I was really a bad alcoholic for a few years," he told Under the Radar magazine in an interview published in June 2003.

In an effort to quit drinking, Smith said he had undergone treatment which administers an intravenous solution meant to clear the bloodstream of toxins.

Smith was born Steven Paul Smith in Nebraska; his mother was a singer and his father was a psychiatrist. He spent most of his childhood with his mother in the suburbs of Dallas,Texas, and then moved to Portland, Oregon, while in high school to live with his father.

He studied piano and guitar as a youth and began composing songs when he was 13. He began calling himself Elliott in middle school, he later explained to a reporter, because Steve sounded too "jockish."

A graduate of Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, he later joined a Portland punk band called Heatmiser. On the side, he recorded several solo albums -- "Roman Candle" (1994), "Elliott Smith" (1995) and "Either/Or" (1997), all on independent labels -- that won him a devoted underground following.

In 1997, he moved to New York, where Van Sant approached him with an offer to use several of his songs on the soundtrack to "Good Will Hunting." The movie was a hit, bringing Smith's music to a mainstream audience.

Smith subsequently signed with DreamWorks Records and recorded two albums; "XO" (1998) and "Figure 8" (2000) continued his critical winning streak, and took him to the middle reaches of Billboard's Top 200 albums chart.

He told AP Radio in a 2000 interview that he didn't mind being remembered mostly as the "Good Will Hunting" guy.

"I liked that movie. I thought it was really nice that Gus put my songs in it. There's always some sort of name tag on any band, any person, so if that's the one I have, that's great."

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 03:41:54 AM »

thats too badd.  the albums i have of his are VERY good.  

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 03:44:50 AM »

Strange way to kill yourself. I think he suffered from depression. Like Cobain. Then they get into substance abuse and it's all too much. Such a waste.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 03:53:26 AM »

ive never heard of him

Paul McCartney :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 10:21:02 AM »

It's still not certain it was suicide, I believe they're still investigating it.

And as I posted earlier, I think XO and Either/Or are easily his best albums. The self-titled album and Roman Candle are very sober and demo-like and not catchy at all. They require a lot of spins before you can get into them. Figure 8 is by far his most Beatles-influenced album (especially production-wise), but the song material is somewhat dissapointing. From A Basement On The Hill is a posthumous (sp?) album that came out last year and I never really got into that one either.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 10:22:32 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
He sustained a single stab wound to the chest that appeared to be self-inflicted, she said.

That's not true, he had two stab wounds in the chest. That's one of the reasons why they're still not sure it was suicide.

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 12:19:33 PM »

And I don't think anyone wants to kill themself like that.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 06:01:22 PM »

I like how Elliot missed notes on some of his songs. It's beautiful.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 05:40:29 AM »

yeah that 'suicide' sounds like something out of Julius Caesar

Page created in 0.82 seconds with 70 queries.