Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: When we was Fab  (Read 5337 times)

Marvin

• A Beginning
When we was Fab
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »

One of my favourite tracks from george. The video for the song is also excellent. For those who have never seen it i have put a link below

George Harrison - When We Was Fab [HD]

What do you think of it?

Marv

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: When we was Fab
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »

Wow!  Thank you for posting that Marv.  And welcome to this Forum.

I haven't seen that video for several years and it's nice to see and study it in the way the internet provides.  It's another terrific George video from the late 1980s.  I like the guest appearances and cameos even if some were more symbolic than real.  The ending is pure genius and done pretty well considering the technology at the time.
I can stay till it's time to go

Marvin

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »

Wow!  Thank you for posting that Marv.  And welcome to this Forum.

I haven't seen that video for several years and it's nice to see and study it in the way the internet provides.  It's another terrific George video from the late 1980s.  I like the guest appearances and cameos even if some were more symbolic than real.  The ending is pure genius and done pretty well considering the technology at the time.
Thanks. I know Ringo is in the video but have you any idea if he was actually the drummer on this track? I also noticed Jeff Lynne got in on the act also.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »

I've never cared too much about this song as I never cared about the whole Cloud Nine album. Too much 80's overproduction for my ears. Despite being a song about the great Beatles years, this song was just another proof that the spirit of the 60's was dead. Neither the sitars gave the song that spirit.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »

Love the album and love the song.

Yes, Ringo is the drummer on the song. He and Jim Keltner shared the duties on Cloud 9.

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »

I've never cared too much about this song as I never cared about the whole Cloud Nine album. Too much 80's overproduction for my ears. Despite being a song about the great Beatles years, this song was just another proof that the spirit of the 60's was dead. Neither the sitars gave the song that spirit.

I bought  the album when it came out (like most of his albums) played it about 3 or 4 times and didnt rate it at all, sorry but for me just a bunch of poor songs, like Hombre I hate the 80's production, big loud snare drum crap  ;D

IMO a lot of the solo albums were poor, with a few exceptions like McCartney and Imagine.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »

I liked it when it came out, honestly forgot about it over the years.  Thanks for reminding.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »

IMO a lot of the solo albums were poor, with a few exceptions like McCartney and Imagine.

I feel the same way. As much as I'm a Beatles fan I'm not a huge fan of their solo careers. I dig most of the 70's stuff, with Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Band On The Run and All Things Must Pass being great albums in my opinion, but I find the rest as just good or poor records which only sold because of the name of the artists.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:16:57 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »

One of my favourite George songs. This always made me feel really melancholy and wistful; I think it's the nostalgic lyrics and minor chords that bring out those feelings.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »

It is interesting to me the varied opinions on this song (no pun intended) and other later Beatles solo material.

Personally, as I have stated I love it all...

Now... many people say they like such and such a band from (blank) decade. If John (unfortunately to lesser degree, because of unfortunate events), Paul, George or Ringo do a song/album with the sounds of the decade/times they are criticized. Paul in particular has done a very large variety of music (disco, blues, industrial, dance, classical, etc.) Ringo had an album or two that was disco. They are not doing songs that are out of place for the time. Yet, many will say, "That song is crap (or insert your own negative word)."

If the Beatles were still together and were still doing "She Loves You" that would be criticized. "Why can't they do something else?" or Why don't they do something different?" Well, they have... and yet that is not good enough.

Cloud Nine was a great album in 1987. Just like Abbey Road was a great album in 1969. (I am not comparing.) The difference is that Abbey Road had the tension of the band breaking up. It also had all four members of the band. There will never be another Beatles, and yet maybe that is a good thing. I think the bands that have been together since the '60s get kind of sad and worn out.

Art is a very subjective thing. I look at every album as a piece of art. There are paintings that are a single, random looking brush stroke that can be considered genius. True, some artwork isn't that good. We have all seen stuff that was either done by someone with little to no talent, or stuff that was done without much heart. I don't think there is a single solo album that falls under either criteria. We know the artist is good, and I believe every album has always had heart and soul poured into it. The only possible exception could be 'Two Virgins' or 'Life With The Lions', maybe 'Electronic Sounds'. I think those albums have possible artistic value as well.

Love each song/album for what it is. Find the beauty in it, enjoy. Isn't that what we listen to music for?
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »

I think i've said it before, but I think your too invested Gary. Yes, the Beatles have done some solo efforts that included disco, 80's techo/heavy produced stuff, etc,, and they have been criticized for it. Why? Because it wasnt good. Not because it was different or that they were trying to keep up with the times. Paul tried 80's techno with McCartney 2. It sucked. Paul shouldnt do 80's techno. It doesnt come over well. George did Gone Troppo with such a heavy 80's production layered on it that it made Cloud 9 sound like something recorded in the 40's. It sucked. Ringo,,,well I wont talk bad about Ringo but we all know the score. Sure they had heart and talent poured into them. Sometimes that doesnt matter. Olympic athletes train with heart and talent and you know what? Not all of them can win. 

Once again, just because we are all Beatle fans that doesnt mean we cant listen to a Beatle song or a solo effort and say,,,you know what,thats not very good. We need to be truthful to ourselves sometimes. Trust me, it'll bo ok.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »

Todd

I am not saying that everyone needs to think that every solo album is great. It is all subjective. One might think that Gone Troppo or Ringo The 4th sucks and another will consider it their favorite album.

I was just commenting on the above statement. The comments about each song/album are so varied.

Back to my analogy of a painting, there are some people that think VanGogh sucks, and then there are some that think he was the greatest. I can't seem to get my point across that each has beauty in and of itself. I have discussed an album like The Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds'. I hated it for years, I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. I made the decision that I was going to find what was so good about it. I did. Now it is, in my opinion, a great album. I can listen to it anytime. I just think that few people ever do that. If they don't like such and such an album today, it is quickly dismissed as garbage. Maybe there is something that was missed. If you say, "no", would you bet your life on it? I mean really bet your life?
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »

If the Beatles were still together and were still doing "She Loves You" that would be criticized. "Why can't they do something else?" or Why don't they do something different?" Well, they have... and yet that is not good enough.

I think the Beatles belong too much to the 1960's. Beyond all the fighting, I think the Beatles would have been out of ideas during the 1970's if they would have stayed together. I'm actually glad that the Beatles finished when they did, it was a perfect 7 years recording career; I believe they would have ruined their great reputation as the Stones did.

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:37:50 PM »

I think i've said it before, but I think your too invested Gary. Yes, the Beatles have done some solo efforts that included disco, 80's techo/heavy produced stuff, etc,, and they have been criticized for it. Why? Because it wasnt good. Not because it was different or that they were trying to keep up with the times. Paul tried 80's techno with McCartney 2. It sucked. Paul shouldnt do 80's techno. It doesnt come over well. George did Gone Troppo with such a heavy 80's production layered on it that it made Cloud 9 sound like something recorded in the 40's. It sucked. Ringo,,,well I wont talk bad about Ringo but we all know the score. Sure they had heart and talent poured into them. Sometimes that doesnt matter. Olympic athletes train with heart and talent and you know what? Not all of them can win. 

Once again, just because we are all Beatle fans that doesnt mean we cant listen to a Beatle song or a solo effort and say,,,you know what,thats not very good. We need to be truthful to ourselves sometimes. Trust me, it'll bo ok.

I agree with you here tkitna, most of those albums...gone troppo, 331/3, McCartney 2, Walls & Bridges were poor..

But with George I dont understand why he was making songs like When We Was Fab ? when he was in The Beatles he couldnt wait to get away from them  ;D

I liked his later Beatle stuff and I like All Things Must Pass (most were written whilst still a Beatle) but as for his solo stuff ? he shouldve stuck to car racing and looking after his ornamental tree's.

I really got the feeling that he didnt really want to make albums but Jeff Lynn persuaded him  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 02:05:06 AM »

Todd

I am not saying that everyone needs to think that every solo album is great. It is all subjective. One might think that Gone Troppo or Ringo The 4th sucks and another will consider it their favorite album.

I was just commenting on the above statement. The comments about each song/album are so varied.

Back to my analogy of a painting, there are some people that think VanGogh sucks, and then there are some that think he was the greatest. I can't seem to get my point across that each has beauty in and of itself. I have discussed an album like The Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds'. I hated it for years, I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. I made the decision that I was going to find what was so good about it. I did. Now it is, in my opinion, a great album. I can listen to it anytime. I just think that few people ever do that. If they don't like such and such an album today, it is quickly dismissed as garbage. Maybe there is something that was missed. If you say, "no", would you bet your life on it? I mean really bet your life?

Good post Gary and i'm sorry if I come across as brash.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »

Good post Gary and i'm sorry if I come across as brash.

I don't think you come across as brash. Well, that is not the word I would use for it.

I thought about it more, and as you have expressed, you listen as a drummer. I am a piano/guitar player, so I think I listen more from a melody standpoint. I listen more to the instrumentation. This theory may or may not be true.

I also remember you (I think it was you) said that you are sick of 'A Day In The Life'. In relation to this, I would like to tell you my experience. When I don't (yes, "do not") listen to The Beatles regularly, I feel like I am bored of them. Then when that first song comes on, I suddenly remember how good, or how much I enjoy them. This applies to solo stuff as well. I don't think every album is a winner. Conversely, I don't think any album is "sucks". There are some I do not listen to very often, 'Ringo The 4th', 'Gone Troppo', 'Driving Rain', 'Sometime In New York City'. All four have had albums that left something to be desired. Yet, when I listen to any of those albums, I remember that it has some good music on it. Even John's "Avante Garde" (Avan't Got A Clue) albums have something to enjoy about them. It just bugs me that some songs/albums are dismissed so quickly.

Page created in 0.646 seconds with 72 queries.