Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Singles - Get Back  (Read 3996 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Singles - Get Back
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »

Okay, now I feel like a doctor issuing bulletins on a slowly dying patient.
Get Back is a good enough song, and had a good chart run considering the glory days of Beatlemania are well and truly over.
I love Don't Let Me Down. Very soul full, if a bit self pitying. (Now that I think about, aren't almost all of Johns love songs self pitying. He's always the wronged party?)
His last great vocal performance before his once legandary voice went AWOL. From now on it's mostly Johns "bathroom" voice.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Singles - Get Back
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:20 AM »

I like The Beatles mostly for their pretty melodic songs. I've never really cared that much for most of their rock or soul songs. Needles to say this isn't one of my favorite Beatles 45s.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »

I got a new perspective on Get Back when I watched the Love show in Vegas. It filled me with excitement but that might have been because the The End drum fills were leading into it. Otherwise, I find it a bit of a joe average blues type jam, almost something Stones about it. I do like the quirky guitar lick. Quite a lazy output but we all know they were cobbling it together by then. I've been in and out of love with Don't Let Me Down...Preferred it in my late teens and early twenties to now. Think I read somewhere about the 'weedy' vocals at the end, I feel they could have done something with John's falsetto bit. One thing I like about both is the fender rhodes. Good point about the Lennon vocals. We are getting into primal scream territory here. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03:48 PM »

Both Get Back and Don't Let Me Down aren't in my favorites, but I don't dislike either of them either. They're good enough songs, but I'm not fanatic about them.

The name's Emily :)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »

Get Back is a good enough song. Catchy tune, nice guitar work. but I don't know why Paul feels he has to play it at every public appearance. It's getting old.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 06:59:29 PM »

I love Get Back.  I like the lyrics, I like the rhythm of the song.  I don't usually listen to "Don't Get Me Down" much.  Just doesn't do anything for me and I don't particularly like John's voice on it.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 07:57:06 PM »

It was a big hit and that has always surprised me. I'm not too fond of the singles the Beatles produced towards the end of their carreer. After Hey Jude I like Get Back best however and that says something about the other ones. I like the rhythm in the song but I don't want to hear it too often.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »

two great ones in my opinion
john's guitar licks on get back are great. just like the little-kid look on his face when he's shown playing them on the roof
ringo's drumming is perfectly suited to the song as usual . . . .  . .
but billy preston takes the thing into overdrive
dont let me down . .  . . hmmm
to me this song is DOMINATED by paul's work on bass !!
sorry yoko, but john's love song for you has paul juice all over it !!!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:29:30 PM »

I absolutely get carried away with this song! It is and has always been one of my favourites. The minute I hear the first sounds I say WOW, YEAH! IT IS IT! I love it!!!

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »

I don't know why Paul feels he has to play it at every public appearance.

True that.

I like the ´naked´ version the most.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »

I hate Get Back. I have just never liked it. I hate the guitar in it, the drum gallop is boring to hear and play, and the entire thing just plods along without going anywhere. It always gets skipped or turned off.

Dont Let Me Down aint a favorite either. Its a boring, sloppy song in my opinion. Johns voice irritates me on this song for some reason also. I dont know, its just a slow, monotonous song for me.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »

Another thing I like about "Get Back" is the rooftop concert.  I know it's not technically a reason to like the song but I have to admit, I can't hear the song without imagining them playing it up there.  I always think Paul looks really comfortable and feels funky up there in his black suit and beard, he's moving good. :)  It may be a thrown together rooftop concert just to get the damn thing over with, but I always feel like he's in his element.  And I love John's look at certain points while he's playing, he looks rather chuffed at times, himself. :)

It's such a shame they couldn't just remember that because they were a great BAND, they just worked, and had magnetism.

SemolinaPilchard

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 05:23:43 AM »

His last great vocal performance before his once legandary voice went AWOL. From now on it's mostly Johns "bathroom" voice.

Ok I'm glad I'm not crazy. I thought I was the only one who thought John's voice post-beatles didn't even compare to the early days. I said as much in another post and everyone tried to convince me that his voice was just as good if not better in the 70's. By the way, I'm sorry I know this is a dumb question but what do you mean by his "bathroom voice"?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »

By the way, I'm sorry I know this is a dumb question but what do you mean by his "bathroom voice"?

His voice always seemed heavily reverbed - like he was singing a bathroom. I knicked that description by the way, can't remember where from. I read somewhere too that John was aware in 66 that his voice was going - this combined with his fat issues made him a bit unsure of himself, and why we get his production-heavy vocals on SFF, Lucy and ADITL.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:18:15 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »

i read that he requested all that double track voice and reverb from way before SFF due to not liking his own voice . . .
instant karma and mind games definitely take the reverb to a high level though . . .

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »

i heard singers like barry white described as having a bedroom voice . . . so i guess john lennon has a bathroom voice  ha2ha ha2ha

Page created in 0.542 seconds with 82 queries.