Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John by Cynthia Lennon  (Read 16326 times)

Wayne L.

John by Cynthia Lennon
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:11:23 PM »

John is a great book by his first wife Cynthia, which takes you inside the relationship & doesn't turn him into an angel, like some fans have been trying to do for over 20 years. He was a jerk in some ways, the way he treated her & Julian, but it probably was better for them to divorce.  Books will become extinct before too long, because of the internet, but you have to roll with the changes.

Bobber

akire74

• One And One Is Two
Re: John by Cynthia Lennon
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 03:59:44 AM »

I've just finished reading this book and will be honest in saying that this was a difficult read for me.  
This book is not for anyone who wishes to keep John on a pedistal.  Its not for those who believe John was a God and could do no wrong.  
In fact, even for people like myself who were aware of some of the things he did even before reading the book, this was a hard read.  Its one thing to know that he cheated on his wife and left her for another woman.  Its one thing to know that he had little contact with his son as he grew up.  But to hear from that wife and that son exactly how Johns actions affected their lives (even to this day) and what he left them (or didn't leave them), its a sad thing and it brings John down to our level...sometimes even lower.
This book isn't written in a vengeful, hurtful way.  There is no cause to cry foul that Cynthia is speaking ill of the dead when they're no longer here to defend themselves.  She's honest.  She tells you exactly what happened, she doesn't sugar coat it.  But underneath everything she says, all the brutal details, you can always hear how much she loved John.  And to be fair, she dives deep into Johns upbringing and talks about his family and the infamous Aunt Mimi in great lengths in an effort to help explain why John was the way he was.  
In the end she believe he had intended to mend the relationships he had with the people he neglected but because of his death, never got the chance to see it through.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »

Here are some of my comments on Cynthia's book:
This is Cynthia Lennon

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »

I agree with you akire74. I think the book makes people realize the other side of John Lennon, that many who aren't fans of The Beatles may not be aware of. And even people who are fans of the Beatles tend to forget that John wasn't really an all loving peace god, he had his bad aspects, that people seem to forget now that he's gone.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »

Having read this book myself, I feel I need to make a passing comment.

Whilst the errors are, as you say, shockingly frequent, I would also mention that this is a book that tells us a lot about Cynthia herself.

As a wife of a former band member myself, (not quite reaching the heights of the Beatles!!) I would have to say that I couldn't possibly accurately recall half the info about where/when they played, or significant facts about his childhood, etc. But I remember how it felt to see them play, observe song writing sessions and so on.

I don't want to make excuses for a startling lack of research (big mistake for Beatles circles); however, I think what attracted me to the book, and has stayed with me since reading it, was the glimpse it gives into what it was like to be Cynthia through those times. And that's probably what this book is for.

We'll have to turn to other tomes for the facts. And this site!
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:14:09 PM »

I can apprciate that Cynthia didn't know much about the musical background and what really happened, but she does make an astonishingly large amount of comments which are totally wrong. Since she didn't write the book herself, the publishers should have got an editor to go over the ghost writers work to check it for accuracy. The mistakes in her book will be repeated in other people's books - and I bet that you weren't even aware yourself of some of the mistakes.
Although Cynthia may not remember where they played or facts about his childhood, to say that John wrote 'All My Loving' for her is puzzling. What made her come to that conclusion. John didn't tell her because Paul wrote the song. I just wonder why she assumed that and why someone editing oe ghost writing a book about the Beatles didn't even bother to check some simple basics.

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »

I fully agree with you about the editors/ghost writers, etc. Perhaps they thought the book would sell anyway, checked out or not? Maybe they're too young to know any different, and assume historical accuracy from such a 'direct source'? Who knows.
And the mistakes WILL be repeated down the years, as you point out. That's probably the biggest shame, because in years to come, researchers/historians/journalists will all turn to this book for verification, and won't bother checking things out fully. We've seen it happen so many times, haven't we?!
The 'All My Loving' thing IS odd, I thought that too when reading it, but as I said before, my feeling is that this book tells a lot (between the lines) about Cynthia herself, who I have always found an intriguing lady, not served well by many Beatle books.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »

I remember reading about Cynthia`s  having a very negative attitude towards Yoko Ono - naturally! - but  her never mentioning the fact that Yoko has always been very kind to Julian and has been giving him a lot of money from Lennon revenues.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »

I thought she was quite balanced about Yoko when I read it. The inevitable tensions were described well. She did go on to slate Yoko for not taking care of Julian or other lennon family assets though. I can't remember when the book was written and if Yoko changed things since?
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »

Well, yes, as far as i remember, it might have happened in the last decade or at least two.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 01:19:55 AM »

I do think that their are a lot of mistakes in the book. But I think once you get past that, she touches on an a part of John's personality that you don't get to hear about much.

And even though I love John, and appreciate him as a musician and as an artist. I feel as if people view John very single mindedly, as this guy who was all peace and love, but really he was hypocritical.
John's father left him, never had a relationship with his father. And he resented him for that, but he turned around and did the same thing to Julian. I never understood that and I never will. So, that's one thing I like that Cynthia touched on in the book.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »

Maybe it`s cause he didn`t love Cynthia. But he can`t have been an unjust person, remember, he was a Libra!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »

Why in the world would you say that he didn't love Cynthia?

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »

I think the factual errors, though apparently many, are forgivable.  (But I haven't read the book.)  Errors of memory are understandable -- what wouldn't be so forgivable is if Cynthia completely botched the facts behind her divorce, or the Beatles breakup, or just fabricated stories about John to stain his image.

Regarding All My Loving -- maybe John in an off-the-cuff moment told her "It's all about you, Cyn."  Maybe he even meant it as a joke and she misunderstood.

Regarding Yoko -- there are probably two (or more) sides to the story of how generous/stingy she's been to Julian.  She may have given Julian a lot of money -- but if it wasn't as much as Sean is getting, then Julian and Cynthia have a right to be miffed about that.  It's a shame John didn't handle this during his life.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 06:52:19 PM »

Quote from: 682
Why in the world would you say that he didn't love Cynthia?

She was his girlfriend from the college. And as far as I know he married her when she got pregnant. And I read ( I quote ): Lennon had to marry Cynthia and soon considered her to be a burden, hid her farther away, at his aunt Mimi`s...When Beatles stopped touring and bought castles John found himself alone with no soul-mate, with nothing to do. He ate the same food -cornflakes with milk and sugar- lay on the sofa, looking through papers or watching TV. It was not just Fatigue and Lethargy, it turned out that without work his life had no meaning. If the other Beatles had smth to do: they spend time with their wives, had hobbies, Lennon seemed to have nothing to keep him steady in this life, to keep him going. At a loss what to do, faced with emptiness, he even had his house decorated with Beatles photos and looked at them all the time. He hated his wife now, and he hated his life. At this point he met his reflection Yoko Ono. This is a free translation but not a rendering, guys. I do not claim it is true to the fact but why not share it? I offer it to you for your consideration. What do you say?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 10:49:41 PM »

^ I think you should read Cynthia's book because she addresses the whole "The only reason John married Cynthia because she was pregnant" thing.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 11:57:30 PM »

Where exactly did that quote come from?

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 07:52:38 AM »

Quote from: 1393

When Beatles stopped touring and bought castles John found himself alone with no soul-mate, with nothing to do. He ate the same food -cornflakes with milk and sugar- lay on the sofa, looking through papers or watching TV. It was not just Fatigue and Lethargy, it turned out that without work his life had no meaning. If the other Beatles had smth to do: they spend time with their wives, had hobbies, Lennon seemed to have nothing to keep him steady in this life, to keep him going.

One could say that this feeling of John's was not solely related to Cynthia. I feel that this quote pictures his state of mind very well in the mid 70's.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 08:22:27 AM »

I remember when Cynthia used to come to a few gigs and remember her sitting alone, out of the way, at Litherland Town Hall. The idea was that no one should know that John had a steady girl friend. Then Cynthia seemed to be absent from his life and when Virginia and I used to meet him at the Blue Angel he was going out with Ida Holly. At one time, when we left the Angel, we all shared a cab and we dropped Ida off at her home near Sefton Park.
Later on, we discovered that this must have been the time that Cynthia was pregnant, which is why she was 'out of sight', yet John then took up with Ida for a while.
She told me that she wanted to be a commere, so I fixed her up with some gigs at the Majestic ballroom and on the Mersey Beat boat to the Isle of Man.
If I knew how to put pictures on the forum I'd include one of her. She moved down to London and became a model known as Stevie Holly, but we lost touch
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 81 queries.