Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What was the best era of rock music?  (Read 6433 times)

Crazy Diamond

Re: What was the best era of rock music?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »

[quote by=Child_Robbery link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=21 date=1102610669]

Which you do at all here[/quote]
hahahaaaahahaahaahhahahahah :D

Wayne L.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2004, 07:04:49 PM »

Crazy Diamond is a mental case who is need of some attention at the asylum.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 02:33:18 AM »

[quote by=Mairi link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=14 date=1102541930]Besides the punk movement, I don't think the eighties were that good at all. Everything was so commercialized, it was all about the video. Not to mention the introduction of the synthesizer, which I belive sent pop music down a spiral from which it never returned. All bands should play their own instruments.[/quote]

Pink Floyd and the Who both used synthesizers in their music when it came out. (Baba O' Riley etc.) But because they were such talented artists, they used it in a way that enhanced the music. Those freaks in the '80's were just talentless hacks that overused it along with crappy drum machines. I HATE the '80's era. Sucky hair metal and new wave crap. UHHHH!! Thank God for bands like AC/DC, U2, and the Clash. But that was slim pickings. I can't stand that I had to live through that era. The mid to late 60's and 70's were the greatest GREATEST era for music. The 90's weren't all that bad either. Especially after the excruciatingly BORING music of the '80's.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2004, 03:25:16 AM »

yeah, pink floyd fit in the 70s to me, they had all thier greatest albums and were the biggest in the 70s

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2004, 10:07:42 AM »

[quote by=Child_Robbery link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=25 date=1102672158]purchase you a brain Crazy[/quote]
 :D

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2004, 10:20:16 AM »

[quote by=Child_Robbery link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=26 date=1102673854]yer man you so funny kid be all stupid in your Town[/quote]
lmfao :D

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2004, 11:18:30 AM »

hey, but the 80's had bands like The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The La's, James (If you like it) ..a great English revival happened..which melted into the early Nineties ..with bands like Blur, Oasis and Pulp taking control of the English radiowaves..Britpop was reborn. (not as good tho :) )

The 80's wasnt all bad..but it was depressing for music, in a big way.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2004, 04:30:12 PM »

[quote by=Mairi link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=14 date=1102541930]Everything was so commercialized, it was all about the video. Not to mention the introduction of the synthesizer, which I belive sent pop music down a spiral from which it never returned. All bands should play their own instruments.[/quote]

All very true. But still, there's something to 80s music... I just think that despite all the crappy keyboards and drum computers the songwriting was actually pretty good in the 80s. Or maybe it's just nostalgia. I like a lot of those 80s hits, but I'm not so sure that I would've liked them if they would've been made last year.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

What about the Rolling Stones? I haven't seen them mentioned for 60s yet.  They were great too.  Also Simon and Garfunkel.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2004, 10:41:01 PM »

[quote by=Frightwolf link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=28 date=1102713120]What about the Rolling Stones? I haven't seen them mentioned for 60s yet.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2004, 12:21:09 AM »

I think the Stones had some great songs, but they dont even compare to The Beatles

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2004, 07:19:52 AM »

[quote by=IndicaWalrus link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=26 date=1102677510]hey, but the 80's had bands like The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The La's, James (If you like it) ..a great English revival happened..which melted into the early Nineties ..with bands like Blur, Oasis and Pulp taking control of the English radiowaves..Britpop was reborn. (not as good tho :) )

The 80's wasnt all bad..but it was depressing for music, in a big way.[/quote]

Dude, you didn't have to live through it! We were bombarded with absolute JUNK!! Thanks in part to the birth of MTV. I mean, maybe it was different in the UK, but over here it was all about the hair bands and that junky music you'll hear in Molly Ringwald movies. Aweful. I know there were a few bands out there that were actually creating good music, but it was very few and far bewtween to notice. Even great bands and artists from the 60's and 70's were turning out unlistenable music! Think Elton John, the Who, Bowie, Floyd, McCartney(Say, say, say...blah!) And then there was the fashion....

I don't think the Brit pop thing really made an impact here. I much prefer the grunge bands that hit in the early 90's. It made me think that all hope was not lost. Now I'm not so sure. Unless, that is, if Brittanny, Jessica, Lindsay, Justin and Ashley suddenly all drop off the face of the earth.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2004, 01:07:25 PM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=31 date=1102749592]

Dude, you didn't have to live through it! We were bombarded with absolute JUNK!! Thanks in part to the birth of MTV.[/quote]

Absolutely. MTV is to blame for a lot of absolutely horrible music. When MTV started, it was no longer necessary to tour for months, it was no longer necassary to struggle for years to get noticed, and it was no longer even necassary to be able to write songs or sing your own songs live on stage. Since we've got MTV, a nice face and/or gimmick is often enough. You can become a superstar even if you recorded just one single song in your whole life. Even if that's a cover, and even if you can't even sing well enough to perform it outside the studio.

sange

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2004, 01:40:07 PM »

Being a child of the 80s I have a soft spot for it, but the best was definitely the 60's. 

Personally, I also think the late 90's/early 00's was great for Australian Indie/Alternative music, but of course this will mean nothing to a lot of you! ;)  Possibly though this could be due to the fact thata few of the groups I like from this time (even, you am I, for example) were heavily influenced by the 60s.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2004, 07:49:36 PM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=31 date=1102749592]

Dude, you didn't have to live through it! We were bombarded with absolute JUNK!! Thanks in part to the birth of MTV. I mean, maybe it was different in the UK, but over here it was all about the hair bands and that junky music you'll hear in Molly Ringwald movies. Aweful. I know there were a few bands out there that were actually creating good music, but it was very few and far bewtween to notice. Even great bands and artists from the 60's and 70's were turning out unlistenable music! Think Elton John, the Who, Bowie, Floyd, McCartney(Say, say, say...blah!) And then there was the fashion....

I don't think the Brit pop thing really made an impact here. I much prefer the grunge bands that hit in the early 90's. It made me think that all hope was not lost. Now I'm not so sure. Unless, that is, if Brittanny, Jessica, Lindsay, Justin and Ashley suddenly all drop off the face of the earth. [/quote]

Well, I kind of lived through, born 86 :)  But I can see where you are coming from, in the context of the rubbish far out grossing the good, a sentence which makes me sad.
I always see the 80's as a dark, tyrannical white wash of right wing politics.
With the mass pit closure, Maggie Thatcher, and Unemployment.
Bands like The Smiths really mirror what was going on, but people seemed to clutch onto the horrible commercial drum-machine-esq Spandeau Ballet etc..

Im glad I missed it! :)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Wayne L.

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2004, 04:55:11 PM »

The best eras in rock music are the 60's & the 70's which are its last important & influential decades in rock when it was dominant without any rules being the soundtrack to the young before the 80's, 90's & today when it has been going downhill into a slow death sadly with more emphasis on image & less on music since the birth of MTV!

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2004, 03:17:12 AM »

I might be naive because I was born in 87, but for some reason, I can't shake off this feeling that everyone was ugly in the 80s.  I look at all these pictures of weird fashion trends during that time, compare it to now and even the 60s and 70s, and think, "Wow... what ugly people."

Am I imagining things?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2004, 09:46:11 AM »

[quote by=Frightwolf link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1102486001,s=36 date=1102994232]I might be naive because I was born in 87, but for some reason, I can't shake off this feeling that everyone was ugly in the 80s.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2004, 12:58:27 PM »

Undecided between 60's and 70's. The fretboard was still relatively fresh.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 11:13:49 PM »

The reason why punk rock became such a success in the 70s is because many people were just sick of the worthless disco and the stadium rock dinosaurs of that time... That should say enough...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 81 queries.