Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?  (Read 88340 times)

walrus_21

• A Beginning
  • But I tried.
Re: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?
« Reply #280 on: May 22, 2009, 06:05:23 PM »

Patti's autobiography.  Some things made me sad, but overall, she has a nice perspective, and of course is someone on the inside.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2009, 03:31:12 AM »

In His Own Write. Put it back by my bed  , read a story or a poem out of it every now and then. Such a happy book  :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »

I am reading now McCartney by Christopher Sandford, new and updated. The book is very well written and I like it. I didn`t know that Paul is called Great Communicator. I knew only about Reagan and thought it belonged only to him.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2009, 09:19:25 PM »

The book says "Paul often cites astrology..."I am a Gemini, and we are supposed to be like this and that..." In later years Paul would make much of his sign...the chief one being that they often seem to be several different people.
And I also liked this one: It was while they were setting up that Vaughan wandered over and made the four-word introduction that changed pop culture. "Paul: this is John". Wow, breath-taking. Well-written!

nowhereman71

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »

Just flipping through The Beatles - The Complete Story Of Four Lads Who Shook The World by Tim Hill.  It's a big, heavy book that has some modern writings on each stage of their career, excellently complimented by photographs from the archives of the Daily Mail.  I like it, it covers ground that is very well worn, but I'm a sucker for writing that is passionate about them without making them into Gods, which they certainly weren't.

Have got over 400 books in my study, ranging from at least 3 editions of the Hunter Davies book.  I have the Mark Lewisohn books, apart from his new one and the Live! book from '86.  The Bruce Spizer books are a triumph of investigative diligence.  The Beatles are now almost an academic subject, and are certainly a history subsection now and some books take this academic, well-researched path.  There have been some wonderful photo books - such as "It Was Thirty Years Ago Today" by Terence Spencer and "Remember" by Mike McCartney.  Roberts Freeman and Whitaker have both produced excellent, lush books of their archives.  I'd recommend Allan Williams' book, if only for his wit and sheer invention.  Don't treat it as gospel but it's fun.  

I found the Anthology book interesting, but ultimately it was produced under the control of George, Paul, Ringo and Yoko, so there is not anything too controversial.  It would have been a different book had John been alive, as would the series and, probably, our lives.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2009, 04:05:13 AM »

I  am reading 'Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now' and 'Memories Of John: Edited And Introduced By Yoko Ono' the John one would be better with out Yoko blabbing 24/7! Haha sorry I'm not a big fan of her... But both are really good! And in Paul's he talks in it. It was interviews.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »

Quote from: 2116
I  am reading 'Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now' and 'Memories Of John: Edited And Introduced By Yoko Ono' the John one would be better with out Yoko blabbing 24/7! Haha sorry I'm not a big fan of her... But both are really good! And in Paul's he talks in it. It was interviews.

Have you read Cynthia's book, John?

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »

Quote from: 682

Have you read Cynthia's book, John?

No, I haven't. I want to though, most likely a lot better than Yoko's. lol. Did you read it?

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »

Here is what I wrote about Cynthia's book:

I was pleased to hear that Cynthia was writing a second autobiography. Her first had been almost sycophantic in tone regarding John and Yoko, was completely incorrect in its view of the local music scene and contained some rather naive poems. She also serialised her story some years ago in one of those celebrity magazines. At last, I thought, she may finally give vent to her feelings and tell it like it really was. The only problem would be if a professional biographer had helped to ghost write it for her. When this happens, these writers tend to exaggerate real events and concentrate on scandal and sensationalism, aiming for lucrative tabloid newspaper serialisation. I'd always looked on Cynthia as the Candide of the Beatles story, the girl who was left weeping on the platform as John, the Beatles and friends drew away from her on the train to Bangor. The tearful girl who the steward's wouldn't let back into the hotel when she was with the Beatles in Miami, until the girl fans of the Beatles came to her aid. She always seemed so vulnerable.

Early on she begins, "After my marriage to John fell apart I tried to escape the world of celebrity and the Lennon label by going off to find my own life." Cynthia might have escaped the attention if she adopted the usual form when a person remarries: dropping the first husband's surname and adopting that of the new husband. Cynthia's names have been Cynthia Powell, Cynthia Lennon, Cynthia Bassanini, Cynthia Twist and now Cynthia Charles but she chose to re-adopt the Lennon name after John's death, which upset John's Aunt Mimi. How could she "escape the Lennon label" if she began calling herself Lennon again?

However, good luck to her in this, I say, nothing wrong with that, it's obviously been of similar benefit to Bianca Jagger. Actually, I sympathise with her because it has been impossible for her to escape the Lennon legend and she has as much right as Yoko in revealing her love for one of the world's most-beloved musicians. Interesting, though, that although Yoko called herself Yoko Ono Lennon when she was married to John, she has since ditched the Lennon surname.

My first memory of Cynthia was of a young girl with mousey hair in the playground of the Junior Art School in Gambier Terrace. When she eventually enrolled at the College of Art, she was transformed into a blonde by her love of John, who was obsessed by Brigitte Bardot at the time.

On recalling the first occasion she and John made love she says it was at "Stuart's place

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »

I enjoyed reading it very much! Thank you!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »

Thanks Bill. Another book I don't have to read now!  ;)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »

I'm reading The Final Days Of John Lennon

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:44 AM »

Quote from: 2116

No, I haven't. I want to though, most likely a lot better than Yoko's. lol. Did you read it?

Yes it's one of my favorites, along with Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording The Beatles.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2009, 05:33:08 AM »

Quote from: 682
along with Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording The Beatles.

That is a great, great Beatles book!  One of my fave tidbits from Geoff Emerick was about the day Beatles fans broke into the studio and ran around looking for the boys!  ;D

*imagines myself doing the same*  ;)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2009, 05:45:31 AM »

Quote from: 1620

That is a great, great Beatles book!  One of my fave tidbits from Geoff Emerick was about the day Beatles fans broke into the studio and ran around looking for the boys!  ;D

*imagines myself doing the same*  ;)

That's a great tidbit  ;D

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2009, 12:41:44 AM »

Oh, i read John by Cynthia Lennon, she basically describes John from the day they met, and how he really was. She mentions their relationship through the Beatlemania, and she also talks about Yoko, but suprisingly, not too negatively. She mostly dislikes how Yoko treats Julian when he visits. It's truely a wonderful biography.

George does not approve.

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2009, 12:51:54 AM »

I think Cynthia changed her last name to Lennon because the only man she ever had a child with was John, so I think it's sort of acceptable.  :)

George does not approve.

Bobber

« Reply #297 on: August 10, 2009, 08:26:24 AM »

...and how he really was...

No. How she saw him.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »

My new book 'Liverpool - Bigger Than The Beatles' was publoished by Trinity Mirror on  3 August.

Bobber

« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »

Ah! And what can we expect, Bill?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 84 queries.