Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I Actually Found MMT  (Read 1571 times)

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
I Actually Found MMT
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »

So on Sunday afternoon, my parents and I were at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame gift shop down in Cleveland, and I was allowed to pick a few things as part of my birthday present. I was looking through the Beatles DVDs (most of them are horrible unauthorized ones, surprisingly) and was shocked to find the original Magical Mystery Tour for $12.99. Last I heard, it was nearly impossible to get unless it was available online or something for a lot of money. But there it was, two of them actually, so I got it figuring I'd probably never see it anywhere else again and that this was my only chance. Is it still hard to find and did I just get really lucky, or did I miss something and is it pretty common?

So, I watched it when I got home, and the quality was horrible, even though it said "Digitally Remastered" on the back. It looked like it was taken off an extremely old and crappy tape or something. The movie itself was horrible too, so it was not very fun to watch. It was probably the longest fifty minutes of my life, haha!  ;) But I was just glad that I happened to find it, and I guess my point in posting this is to ask what I asked earlier (even though it might be a dumb and naive question)...is it rare or actually fairly common?

Thanks!  ;D
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

glass onion

• Getting Better
Re: I Actually Found MMT
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »

lots of unauthorised copies of mmt are in circulation in england-they have been for quite a while now.the quality is rubbish-you may enjoy the film more if you see an original copy where the quality is so much better.mmt itself is really a 'period piece'-i quite like it,although i can understand your point, in it being a long 50 mins.it does show where the beatles heads were at during that period of 1967.after mr.epstein died and going ahead with the filming soon after.i don't think any of the boys could have been thinking very straight.also lots and lots of acid going down probably.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:15:15 AM »

Remember, Magical Mystery Tour was shot on 16 mm film.  The quality was never great to begin with.  One has to appreciate this film for what it is....Paul's fun with a movie camera.  I personally like the movie, as raw as it is.
I can stay till it's time to go

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »

Last I heard, it was nearly impossible to get unless it was available online or something for a lot of money. But there it was, two of them actually, so I got it figuring I'd probably never see it anywhere else again and that this was my only chance.

That was same with me saw it and grabbed it thinking I'd never see another copy same reason I bought a dvd of The Beatles Cartoons.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »

i have a good copy-m.t.v showed the film in colour in its' entirety in the late 90s.(or somewhere around that time-could have been the 40th anniversary).although it was shot on 16mm film the quality is good.its' no wonder it bombed when shown in black and white on t.v originally.if ANY film does not work in b&w it is magical mystery tour.it relies on the bright colours-clothes,the bus etc.remember the clips used for the anthology series?good quality.it is an enjoyable film-just remember to leave the thinking part of your brain at the door when you view mmt!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  ;D

Another funny thing about the DVD is that it was not wrapped in any kind of plastic or anything. It was just the movie case with the disc inside, and that's it. Someone could just open it up in the store and take the disc out if they wanted to, haha.

And I probably would have enjoyed it more if the quality was as good as the Anthology quality. They should just make an official release of it and Let It Be in good quality.  :)
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 47 queries.