Solo forums > Microscopes

Microscope: Plastic Ono Band

<< < (2/26) > >>

Dcazz:
I just finished my listen to Plastic Ono Band and I was pleased to find I still enjoyed it. Also Know as "The Therapy Album" I find that 43 years later it's a very personal album John wrote for mostly himself, occasionally lifting his head up to include the other Beatles, Yoko, his fans and maybe the rest of the world as he see's it. I hadn't listened to this for years so when I revisited it today I felt a sense of how crushing it was for John's world to have come crashing down around him with the Beatle breakup. I think he was holding everything in for almost his whole life and his Beatle Rock Star persona might be considered his mask to the world covering up a multitude of problems. I think this album is his AA way of saying, Hello my name is John and I'm an...
As for the music I really liked the simplicity of the bands sound. The only quip I have is with Claus Voorman's occasional slip up on bass. No biggie though for a loyal freind doing his best. On Mother he writes about the seemingly underlying problem following him through his whole life to date complete with his feelings about it in order to his mother, father and then gives a generalized warning to the Children ( IMHO, where John's persona has been stuck). At the end though he still screams for his mother and father. Something he can't ever change.
On Hold on john I really liked his arrangement with his guitar and the vibrato! In the song I can imagine him curled up to just hold on. very self expanitory however the last verse is probably a reference to being free from the Beatles and not having to deal with the production stuff and opinions of others, etc... you kbnow the story.
I think I Found Out is just a scathing song about the people who always wanted something from John. Probably the political radicals that he seems to be rejecting as well (I'm a big boy and I can do it myself). A general rejection of all the next big thing mentality he basically created himself. Great driving beat with his grinding guitar work. Ilike it!
WCH even though I related when I was a teenager it might mean more to the British kids than it did to ua here in the USA. When I was listening to it I was thinking about Pink Floyd and The Wall. Good song but it doesn't ring with me in my 50's after a life of hard work. Thats how it's supposed to be.
Isolation. A nice song with tough lyrics but it is just what it is. I detect a little plead for sympathy as well. He's speaking to some one specific in the refrain. Nixon, Paul, I don't know.
Remember like Isolation is just what it says. I like to remember stuff from my youth etc.
Love is a beautiful little song that reminds me of Julia. i found myself thinking that would have been nice on the White Album instead but I like Julia too. Maybe Johns idea of love was changing as well.Also soeaks in oposits as a number of beatle songs did.
Well,well, well is a rocker that John uses his grinding guitar to good use. I feel he still has a bit of a messianic sense of himself as in the 2nd verse he wonders how we can get thing s done. Nice he cares but a bit self centered.
Look At Me is a good introspective song that looks to the future after dragging himself through and out of the past. I really like the melody and the upbeat feeling I get from him. "How do you spell relief"(?) comes to mind. This is one plausible song that could have ended the album with leaving us wondering with whats next.  One of my album favorites!
God is a tearing down of all the false gods (with One notable exception IMO) that John had accumulated over his life. He's coming clean. Now he's John! It's a place to begin. carry On!
My Mummies Dead. Still huts but it always would for anyone.
All told I enjoyed this listen very much. As an adult I can feel empathy for him as he picked up and started to move on which we all need to do in one form or another at different times in our lives. This is a noted "biggie" for the arguably the biggest rock star of all. I would say it took guts to make this album and it should be respected as a true work of musical artistry. Though John was far from being free of himself I think this album is honest and open. I would bet a beer that nobody could ever do one like that again!

tkitna:
I'll wait for Cor's review before I read or write anything. This one will probably see as much negativity as it does praise from me, but its been awhile.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain:
I really don't have the energy for this at the moment.

tkitna:

--- Quote from: Yeshelloitsmehereagain on January 31, 2013, 01:57:45 PM ---I really don't have the energy for this at the moment.

--- End quote ---

I hear you Ollie. I have 6 to 8 secret santa CD's I havent reviewed yet and now this is up coming. I may never find the time.

Bobber:
Sorry guys for the delay. Some kind of flu is taking some time here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version