Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 70's Music ?  (Read 16169 times)

70's Music ?
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:46:35 AM »

The 70's as always been a great decade for me musically  . :)
I  think it's maybe the best period for albums ? Whats your view of 70's music ? And what albums stand out for you ?
Here's a few of my 70 's classics .

David Bowie, Hunky Dory
T.rex, Electric Warrior
ELO , A New World Record
Clash ,London Calling
Pink Floyd ,Wish You Were Here
Blondie Plastic Letter's
Joni Mitchell ,Blue
Paul and Linda McCartney ,Ram
Stevie Wonder, Talking Book
Bob Dylan ,Blood On The Tracks
Eagles ,Hotel California
Kate Bush ,The Kick Inside
George Harrison ,Thirty Three And Third
Bob Marley ,Exodus
ABBA , Arrival
Kraftwerk ,The Man - Machine
David Bowie , " Heroes "
Donna Summer ,I Remember Yesterday
Ian Dury ,New Boots And Panties
Paul McCartney And Wings ,Band On The Run
Roxy Music ,For Your Pleasure
T.ex ,The Slider
Mariane Faithfull , Broken English

My list could go on and on , of great 70's albums and artists :) :) :)

DaveRam :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: 70's Music ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »

Quote from: 679
I  think it's maybe the best period for albums ?

I disagree. I think pop music was at it's absolute peak in 1966-1967. I think it's never been as good since (and never will be again).

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »

Quote from: 56

I disagree. I think pop music was at it's absolute peak in 1966-1967. I think it's never been as good since (and never will be again).

I agree. Though I'd widen the scope to include 65.
don't follow leaders

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »

I think each decade has it's peak but definitely the 60's was a very interesting moment in pop music history; besides The Beatles there were Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Rolling Stones. and the Motown sound   But the 70's was a good decade too, we had singers/songwriters like Cat Stevens, Elton John, bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath.   Even the 80s was a cool decade despite the decadence.

So many talented artist back then, but currently we only find a bunch of wannabes who only care about their image and are not able to sing live, they rely too much in elaborated choreographies.  That's why we have fiascos like Britney Spears and Milli  Vanilli.
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »

Quote from: 766
I think each decade has it's peak but definitely the 60's was a very interesting moment in pop music history

I think that the musicians that were young in the mid to late 60s were very priviledged. I sure envy them. If you'd compare them to painters, you could say that they had more colors to work with than the people that came before them, and an emptier canvas than the people that came after them. Bands like The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones were showing everyone what the posibilities were at a time when a lot of things weren't done to death yet. Because of that, I think that music wise the 60s were more creative, exciting, surprising, original and progressive than any other decade.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »

Quote from: 56

I think that the musicians that were young in the mid to late 60s were very priviledged. I sure envy them. If you'd compare them to painters, you could say that they had more colors to work with than the people that came before them, and an emptier canvas than the people that came after them. Bands like The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones were showing everyone what the posibilities were at a time when a lot of things weren't done to death yet. Because of that, I think that music wise the 60s were more creative, exciting, surprising, original and progressive than any other decade.

Very true. Rock was still in it's infancy in the mid 60's. If you were a half decent musician with an imagination you could go places. There are many influential artists from the 70's and Dave has mentioned a lot of them, but the sheer volume of music from the 60's that remains influential to this day is enormous.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 01:21:02 PM »

Quote from: 766
So many talented artist back then, but currently we only find a bunch of wannabes who only care about their image and are not able to sing live, they rely too much in elaborated choreographies.  That's why we have fiascos like Britney Spears and Milli  Vanilli.

I have to get on my hobby-horse about this. Today there are plenty of hardworking, talented acts out there producing fine music. Milli Vanilli are a case extremis, but the 60's had more than it's share of smoke and mirrors. The Stones pretending to be working class louts (complete with faked accents), The Monkees pretending to play their instruments, The Beatles overdubbing "live" concert footage, or George waving to encourage screaming to cover up the dodgy bits on PaperBack Writer?
And whatever you think of Britney as a person she produced a brace of fine pop singles. How (as an artist) is she due more contempt than Cilla Black, Dusty Springfield, Melanie or Mary Hopkins?
And hasn't the internet meant we have an access to variety of music our 60's ancestors could only dream of, with bands rising to fame (Artic Monkeys, Lilly Allen) without the benefit of corporate backing or managers putting them in suits and controlling their every word and action?
don't follow leaders

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »

So how great the 60s was for music , without doubt the 70s are a close second .
My faves [ well just a few of many ]

Hunky Dory - D. Bowie
All things must pass - G. Harrison
John Lennon plastic ono band - J. Lennon
Quadrophenia  - The Who
Led Zeppelin 4 - Led Zeppilin
Kick inside - Kate Bush
Blue - Joni Mitchell
Band on the run - Paul McCartney and wings
Stormcock  - Roy Harper
Fire and Water - Free
Heavy horses - Jethro Tull
Close to the edge - Yes
Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath
Breakfast in America
Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Farewell to kings - Rush
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Bright lights tonight - Richard Thompson
Lief and Leige - Fairport Convention
In Rock - Deep Purple
Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
L  - Steve Hillage

Not a bad decade at all  8)

Wallflower Has Blossomed

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 11:00:11 PM »

A fanatstic decade in my opinion after the wonderful 60's!
I find a lot of the best songs written in the 60's & 70's.
There has always been great songs up to now but there just seemed
to be a running non-stop of classic tunes throughout those periods.
Lots of terrific albums were released in the 70's, so for me:

Ram - Macca & Linda (kicked off the decade nicely i find! ;))
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
Blue - Joni Mitchell
Who's Next - the Who
Out of the Blue - ELO
Electric Warrior - T.Rex
London Calling - The Clash
Imagie - John Lennon
Venus & Mars - Wings
Exodus - Bob Marley
Talking Heads - 77
Kick Inside - Kate Bush
Talking Book - Stevie Wonder
Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder
The Band - The Band
Sparks - Kimoko My House
Blood on the Tracks - Dylan
Ziggy Stardust - Bowie

:)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 11:38:41 PM »

Quote from: 614
A fanatstic decade in my opinion after the wonderful 60's!
I find a lot of the best songs written in the 60's & 70's.
There has always been great songs up to now but there just seemed
to be a running non-stop of classic tunes throughout those periods.
Lots of terrific albums were released in the 70's, so for me:
 :)

Absolutely agree!

<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »

In the 60's between 1963 and 1967 only The Sound Of Music Soundtrack ,The Beatles , The Stones and Bob Dylan ocupied the # 1 postion on the UK album charts , only the Monkees in 1967 broke this pattern and then it took Val Doonican Rocks But Gently in 1968 to add to this list , these five acts and soundtrack album had a real stranglehold on the UK album charts .
And although The Beatles albums and Dylan's albums were brilliant , there was little room for other great 60's albums in this scrum .
It still staggers me that The Beach Boys Masterpiece Pet Sounds only managed # 2 in the UK during this time , the sales of the above records were just to great for it to hit the top spot ?
The Field for albums was much more open  in the 70's ,so i think you get a much more varried and interesting albums era ?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »

Agreed Dave, there did seem to be a bit of a monopoly on the #1 spot. But in those days records literally sold in truckloads. Something that made #2 or even #10 on the album chart would probably make #1 today. Albums also seemed to have more staying power in those days. It wasn't unheard of for something to stay on the chart for nearly a year, though never actually making the coveted #1 spot.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »

Agree BlueMeanie most of the top 10 albums from the 60's would have hit # 1 today.
The Sound Of Music Soundtrack amazes me it spent 70 weeks at # 1  ,during The Beatles era. Some nice songs granted but 70 weeks at # 1 is a bit extreme ,what were you 60's record buyer's ON  :D :D :D :P

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »

I don't think it spent 70 consecutive weeks at #1.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 01:32:03 AM »

Agree BlueMeanie most of the top 10 albums from the 60's would have hit # 1 today.
The Sound Of Music Soundtrack amazes me it spent 70 weeks at # 1  ,during The Beatles era. Some nice songs granted but 70 weeks at # 1 is a bit extreme ,what were you 60's record buyer's ON  :D :D :D :P

You're right DaveRam, in the middle of the 60's when the Beatles were not at #1, The Sound of Music was occuping the top spot! That album was crazy, I really hated because knocked-off the top spot the Beatles during months! It was the South Pacific of the 60's  :P
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 01:33:43 AM »

The 70's as always been a great decade for me musically  . :)
I  think it's maybe the best period for albums ? Whats your view of 70's music ? And what albums stand out for you ?
Here's a few of my 70 's classics .

Joni Mitchell ,Blue
Paul and Linda McCartney ,Ram
Stevie Wonder, Talking Book

My list could go on and on , of great 70's albums and artists :) :) :)

'Blue', 'Ram', 'Songs in the Key of Life',  'Innervisions', 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', 'A Night At The Opera'... Some of my favourites to that decade.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 02:57:17 AM »

Quote from: 713
The Sound of Music was occuping the top spot! That album was crazy, I really hated because knocked-off the top spot the Beatles during months! :P
I did it! I confess. My family bought The Sound of Music and not any Beatles records. It's all our fault!!!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 07:04:31 AM »

Quote from: 483
I don't think it spent 70 consecutive weeks at #1.

It was'nt 70 consecutive weeks at # 1 it had 11 different trips to the #1 spot between 65 and 68 , sorry for not making that clear  :)

DaveRam

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 03:00:41 AM »

Yeah!  What did we have in the United States in the 70s other than The Rolling Stones?  Glam Rock, Disco, Heavy Metal and other such stuff.  Sure, we had Wings, John, George and Ringo.  Thank heaven for that!  And for The Who.

Music in the 70s made me want to 
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »

Yeah!  What did we have in the United States in the 70s other than The Rolling Stones?  Glam Rock, Disco, Heavy Metal and other such stuff.  Sure, we had Wings, John, George and Ringo.  Thank heaven for that!  And for The Who.

Music in the 70s made me want to 

It may not have been as good as the 60's but it wasn't all hurl-worthy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 86 queries.