Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Singles - Love Me Do.  (Read 8284 times)

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
Re: Singles - Love Me Do.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »

I answer with my experience.
I play with a Beatles Tribute Band over 10 years and I can sure that when we play Love me do, nobody keep in the seats.

I don't say that it's a wonder song, but not's too bad. Good rhythm.

Any musician can say what hard is made a simple song like this
With our love we can save the world

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »

Hey, I was thinking that maybe could be a good idea if I post a video of my tutorials in each single thread.

For a start, this a video that I was made for the "Tutorials by request" thread

Beatles Lessons - Love Me Do

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »

Good idea Nelson. But maybe wait until the end of the week (as you have with this) or we may get bogged down in technical details that some (most?) of us don't understand.

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »

Fine.

I'm too lazy anyway, so surely i will post after the end of the week.

I must do Please, please me and From me to you right now

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »

I like the spare sound of Love Me Do.  I'm not saying it's the best song ever or anything, but I like the very spare sound.  I think it's kind of haunting.

ThisGirlLoves

• One And One Is Two
  • With our love we could save the world
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »

Love Me Do is very catchy, as much of the Beatles earlier tunes were. But it was really the "pop" music of its time, and as with most pop music, it grabs your attention, but then loses its meaning after a while.

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

Paul McCartney says he thinks The Beatles would have won The X Factor with no trouble, had the show been around in their era. McCartney, who appeared on the TV show last year, said: "I think we'd have won it. Seriously. Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh would have been all over us like a wet washcloth." He added: "If you're talking of The Beatles on 'Love Me Do' - there's doubt. But if you're talking of when we'd developed some of our better songs ...we'd cream 'em"

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 08:29:32 PM »

i have alot of friends from mexico who don't speak english. i've turned alot of them on to the beatles and almost all of them cite 'love me do' as their favorite beatles song
i never knew why -but now i do
\
\
love me do is like a cowboy song. real country western twang to the music
i enjoy it alot more with that in mind. it's straight outa nashville !

toprngr

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »

Sometimes why a song is so famous remains a mystery after all. It does not have all the great characteristics found in the song but the melody, the tune is just so nice to listen to, it puts you at ease and I have to agree that the song is really a very catchy one. I believe that not only people from their era listen to them, but teenagers nowadays that still know what music really is, enjoys their songs as well.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »

Sometimes why a song is so famous remains a mystery after all. It does not have all the great characteristics found in the song but the melody, the tune is just so nice to listen to, it puts you at ease and I have to agree that the song is really a very catchy one. I believe that not only people from their era listen to them, but teenagers nowadays that still know what music really is, enjoys their songs as well.

Hello toprngr (if indeed that is your real name).
I don't think anyone would argue that the chugalong rhythm, chirpy melody and so-inane-a-smurf-would-blush-with-embarrasment lyric totally deserves the song's humble three weeks scratching the bottom end of the top twenty.

But I'm not sure that it's subsequent fame, ensuring a popularity that the record buying folk of Christmas 62 don't seem to have shared, is really such a mystery.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »

Oh, the song does put me at ease. Very much at ease.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:14:47 PM by Bobber »

blackbird_

• A Beginning
  • I'm feelin' low, so get me high.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 10:38:04 PM »

I think I have more of a sentemental attatchment to it then anything. I remember it being played a lot by my parents when I was younger.
I'd say if I'd only listened to it recently it'd be a bit too pop-ish for my taste.

I'd love to turn you on.

Sonic Blue

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »

I'd defend it for different reasons. A gorgeous (and easy to play) Harmonica riff which substitutes the richer, fuller sound of the chromatic harmonica for the more usual (in rock) diatonic. (This had very little to do with Delbert McClinton btw) Yes it is trite lyrically but that's a commonplace in rock and related musics. For all it's simplicity and supposed poppiness it was initially recorded at a time when Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard were topping the U.K. charts with "Come Outside" and in the year where the biggest hit was Frank Ifield's "I Remember You" It sounds downright feral (In a good way) by comparison with either and I've long suspected that was part of its appeal to those who bought it at the time.
(Epstein's purchasing multiple copies is an urban myth by the way, it wouldn't have done him any good as that is not how the charts were compiled at that time and for all his faults he knew enough about record retailing to be fully aware of that) It's not a great song and as far as I am aware no one has ever claimed otherwise but it represents the group starting as they were to continue. Self-contained, experimental, distinctive and avoiding cliches
The purpose of life is to find out 'Who am I?', 'Why am I here?' and 'Where am I going?
- George Harrison in 1992.

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 02:55:43 AM »

it sounds like a simple song, but 3 different drummers couldnt agree on how it should be drummed  :)

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »

^He he, never thought of that.

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 10:53:03 PM »

I think the Alan White version is by far the best and the Pete Best version is by far the worst (sorry Pete)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 02:55:38 AM »

I don't really care for this song. Rhyming "I love you" with "always be true" must've been extremely cheesy even by 1962 standards.

nimrod

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 04:09:57 AM »

I don't really care for this song. Rhyming "I love you" with "always be true" must've been extremely cheesy even by 1962 standards.

I actually think its pretty ordinary, for 1962 I much prefer Elvis' Return To Sender & Rock A Hula, Cliff Richards The Young Ones is also a far better song

1963 was the Beatles year !!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 05:15:34 AM »

Love Me Do wasn't the first Beatles song we heard in the US.  When I finally did hear it in early 1964, I liked it but not as much as I liked their more raucous songs like Rock and Roll Music.  When I first heard P.S. I Love You, I knew there was another side to The Beatles which intrigued me.

So back then, I liked Love Me Do.  I like it a whole lot more today.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 87 queries.