Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why did Jimmy McCulloch leave Wings?  (Read 70969 times)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Why did Jimmy McCulloch leave Wings?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »

From what I've read, I think it was the heroin that got Jimmy.  He just couldn't shake the Black Devil.  Unlike other well known users who are marvels to modern medicine:  Jimmy Page and Keith Richard.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 01:30:49 AM »

Quote from: 1255
From what I've read, I think it was the heroin that got Jimmy.  He just couldn't shake the Black Devil.  Unlike other well known users who are marvels to modern medicine:  Jimmy Page and Keith Richard.

And John Lennon

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 01:38:30 AM »

and yoko and brian jones......the black devil??i thought it was the white horse...it was the heroin......jimmy was into shooting up and paul grew out of that stage in the late 60s...there are those who still think paul never shot horse...are you one of those?????clapton did some smack back in the day as did joplin and townsend....

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »

wasn't aware that paul was into shooting up-i thought it was a dabble of the snorting kind.however,nothing really shocks me about rock star behaviour.i also thought that jimmy was a kind of rock star 'free spirit' who was probably tired of wings anyway?perhaps he could have excelled again playing for a more 'rocky'act?just opinion here.cannot confess to knowing loads about that period of wings.all i know is that london town is my top wings album,along with ram(if ram can be considered to be wings).
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »

I always thought Paul and Eric snorted horse.  Keith and Jimmy on the other had, injected the stuff.............

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »

Aspie, are you talking about Jimmy Page?

There is a police photograph of a dead Jimmy McCulloch slumped in an arm chair with a burnt joint still between his fingers. I've seen the (cropped version) of the picture.

Here's part of Jimmy's obituary that was in the NME that mentions what his thoughts were about Wings when under the influence.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »

how much of jimmys' guitar work is on the london town album?i know that paul plays drums on some tracks(maybe due to joe handing in his notice).just wondering which tracks featured jimmy?
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »

No Paul.  It's Jimmy Page I was taling about.  He used to inject that stuff all the time.  So did Keith Richard.  From what I heard about Eric Clapton........he was soooooo deadly affraid of needles, he tought he'd just "snort it" and not get hooked on it..............go figure...........

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »

Quote from: 1255
No Paul.  It's Jimmy Page I was taling about.  He used to inject that stuff all the time.  So did Keith Richard.  From what I heard about Eric Clapton........he was soooooo deadly affraid of needles, he tought he'd just "snort it" and not get hooked on it..............go figure...........

I know. That's why I asked if you were talking about Jimmy Page. I guess you didn't see my "Aspie, are you talking about Jimmy Page?" part  :P

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 11:51:25 PM »

Quote from: 1594
how much of jimmys' guitar work is on the london town album?i know that paul plays drums on some tracks(maybe due to joe handing in his notice).just wondering which tracks featured jimmy?

London Town
Cafe On The Left Bank
I've Had Enough
With A Little Luck
Famous Groupies
Don't Let It Bring You Down
Morse Moose and the Grey Goose

He also plays on Girls School.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »

the best way to do horse is to shoot it...when you snort it you get off too but a bit differently...people get so high snorting they gotta figure out of a needle it would be twice as good.....there are scores of musicians who tried heroin because it wasn't widely know....it causes paranoia so i don't think anyone would be proud of doing it...so we will never know who did and who didn't for sure...because they aren't likely to admit it...it was a party drug in the 60s and probally carried less of a fine than pot did...

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »

Jimmy did NOT die of a heroin overdose...

I just got sent a copy of his dc and it says his cause of death was morphine poising.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 10:02:15 AM »

So he was trying to quit?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »

I don't think Jimmy was addicted to heroin as Jack (his brother) said that Jimmy wasn't.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »

Quote from: 682
I don't think Jimmy was addicted to heroin as Jack (his brother) said that Jimmy wasn't.

Apparently it's pretty difficult not to be. Never tried it though.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 10:51:07 AM »

Quote from: 682
Jimmy did NOT die of a heroin overdose...

I just got sent a copy of his dc and it says his cause of death was morphine poising.

I always thought it was heroin...someone needs to update Wikipedia. :-/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_McCulloch

(Yikes, he died two days after our birthday, JMF...)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »

Quote from: 1620

I always thought it was heroin...someone needs to update Wikipedia. :-/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_McCulloch

(Yikes, he died two days after our birthday, JMF...)

Yes. I'll have to rewrite his bio on there sometime soon..I know he did..a bit of Jimmy history on our birthday, that's the day he called up Steve Holley and asked if Steve would like to do some recording with him for his solo record..we know what happened 2 days later  :'(

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 05:27:52 AM »

Jimmy has been branded with the tag "heroin user" but he didn't use heroin nor did he use needles.  He died of cardiac arrest due to CNS suppression caused by acute morphine poisoning (overdose) but he didn't use morphine either.  He had no needle marks (tracks).  The morphine level in his blood was massive and not one a user, even a casual user, would have taken.  Draw your own conclusions but please don't slam Jimmy.

He died of morphine poisoning, but you state he never used morphine.  Are you coming here stating that he was murdered?  If not, I'm not sure what the hell your trying to get across.

There's an awful lot of claims over the years that he was a heroin user.  Usually when it sounds like a duck, its a duck.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 08:52:19 PM »

Jimmy was "a bit unknown" primarily in the United States.  He was very well known in Europe and hugely popular in Japan.  He wasn't really the "perfect fit" for Wings.  It seemed a good opportunity at first, a chance to go some good touring and play large venues with a name musician who would draw crowds but the tight control Paul had over all aspects was stifling. 
I think people forget how incredibly uncool Wings were in the seventies. McCulloughs joining of the band showed an astonishing lack of ambition and imagination by a young guitarist thought to have had a bright future. In an age when guitarists were still highly regarded as artists as important as any front man, to become a jobbing player on a wage for Paul Bloody McCartney was career suicide. As far as his credibility was concerned he might as well have joined ABBA's backing band, or taken a job at the bank.
If McCartney didn't treat him right then I have no sympathy. He shouldn't have been there in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:54:03 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 05:15:05 AM »

I don't know, when you're that young and you get an offer to play with a revered rock God and tour the world, you don't say no. At least I wouldn't.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 86 queries.